5 replies to this topic

#1 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:50 AM

Do you like to write? Do you know the history of Alroth?

With the soon to be completion of Thunder Mountain, there is talk of a new start island.

Writers are needed for beginner quests to teach new players the basic skills that makes Other-Life a great past-time.

The present Tutorial NPC on Isla Prima was created for Eternal Lands.

We need one that targets and hints towards the land of Alroth.

If this is you, please reply.  You will be working closely with Zian(our uber mapmaker) Posted Image

#2 Warlock

Warlock

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 04 April 2019 - 06:16 PM

Please, please PLEASE think about the general players when contributing to quests per map, map makers/spawn makers had to work around what previous Lore writer had made which caused alot of bullshit amongst the actual players

Good luck Posted Image

#3 SAWolf

SAWolf

IM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 05:07 AM

Hi,

IMO, we need to first have a basic framework for what is 'allowed' and what is not.

I think that handing an NPC 2000gc and getting 100K attack experience is not a challenging enough quest to be worth that amount of reward.
Even if the NPC was a lost soul with a disablilty and needed the 2Kgc to feed his family. :P

So structures or quest guidelines:
1. Each quest should have at least 5 steps? Max 20?
2. Rewards for quests range from equipment, bonus experience to access to more rewarding quests, maybe even access to new items/recipes?
3. All bonus experience especially in skills needs to be capped to a certain value?

This being said...I think that we need to start with Quest Goals and work back with how they should journey to get to the goal.

Just my two cents and I don't mind writing quests if there are clear goals lined up for where these quests need to get to.

#4 ohmygod

ohmygod

• PipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:46 AM

1. Each quest should have at least 5 steps? Max 20?
2. Rewards for quests range from equipment, bonus experience to access to more rewarding quests, maybe even access to new items/recipes?
3. All bonus experience especially in skills needs to be capped to a certain value?
I agree in principle with all the above as a guideline.

I reckon it would be a shame not to have god quests which give additional xp for skills especially since the current players have had access to the bonus xp for some time already and not to include it as a given might disadvantage the new players entering the game as time goes by. I would also add that I reckon we keep (for similar reasons) but maybe change the leather / wine / gods quest story line and move all quest locations to Alroth zones in preparation for removal of seridia maps.

3. All bonus experience especially in skills needs to be capped to a certain value
I have found that daily quests that give decent bonus exp or "reputation" in other games is a way to draw the casual player in and reward them for their efforts character progress wise, without the game seeming grindy. It actually becomes a reason (daily addiction?) for players to log in each day even if they don't need to spend hours doing so. I think these however need to have diminishing returns as the daily quest play progresses their character to the soft cap levels 90+.

rambling on :) ... have heaps of other thoughts but press post on these ones for now.

#5 ohmygod

ohmygod

• PipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:33 AM

Quest to unlock a game feature - PK

Two quest lines

First quest line unlocks world PvP on any map with some restrictions(?) vs others who have completed 1st quest line.

Attraction to do this first quest and for players to go down this path = Bonus xp % awarded per tick (on top of god bonus + rat?) for all skills.

2nd quest line opens and is available after 1st completed which allows the player to turn off the feature (maybe 20 step quest line requiring movement through a shit load of maps?)

Added benefit of these quests being made available might be that no one spawn/resource need to be made super uber and placed in a dedicated PK map to "tie down" non-pkers there for "pkers/griefers" to log in check known uber pk placed spawns/resources then log off after  PK "ambush" the trainer/harvester, as any spawn/mob/resource will give better xp anywhere... and hopefully good spawns will be placed in abundance throughout Alroth, making PK potentially become a joker hunt type activity.

Most likely stuff i have not considered in this suggestion but hey it is 2,30am here after all..

omg

#6 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 287 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted Yesterday, 09:33 AM

View PostAlddrA, on 04 April 2019 - 05:50 AM, said:

Do you like to write? Do you know the history of Alroth?

With the soon to be completion of Thunder Mountain, there is talk of a new start island.

Writers are needed for beginner quests to teach new players the basic skills that makes Other-Life a great past-time.

The present Tutorial NPC on Isla Prima was created for Eternal Lands.

We need one that targets and hints towards the land of Alroth.

If this is you, please reply.  You will be working closely with Zian(our uber mapmaker) Posted Image

Thanks to Alddra for posting this request for OL Quest Writer(s).

For those who maybe thinking of becoming a quest writer (Posted Image), lets try to define the scope of the work they will need to consider accepting the position.  

First things come to mind;

Many, many hours of free time Posted Image
Locate an official reference guide/manual for quest writing - script structure+syntax. Anyone have any documentation?
Define the process that takes a quest from pen+paper to official release into the Game.
Set priorities for any EL quests from Seridia that will be transferred to Alroth? What is involved for successful transfer/release.
Then, going forward, open/maintain the 'Alroth - Questing' forum thread to capture details/status as pointed out .

And yes, quest writer(s) and mapmaker(s) will need to work together along with others!!

Regards
Z

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users