15 replies to this topic

#1 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1172 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 03 May 2019 - 07:41 AM

So basically we are starting off at square one - a list of ideas and suggestions for the first quest (Tutorial NPC). This will include basic skill tutorials and basics on how to play the actual game.

If we are to do this properly, I'd like some suggestions or theories as to HOW you arrived at Alroth in the first place. Why are you here right now? Were you sent here? Were you exploring a new land? Were you forced to come here? Did you just wake up here?
Please note that I'm just taking ideas at this point to start the concept of how to write the dialogue in the correct style so it fits in with the game. I may not take any of your suggestions and make up one myself, however if this happens, please don't take it to heart as every single bit of imagination helps with more inspiration, thoughts and theory to create something spectacular!
I am also still thinking/figuring out the best way to approach this myself, and what you do and how you accomplish your task after you interact with the Tutorial NPC each time you speak to him/her.

Thanks in advance for the support of a fantastic game Posted Image

Will keep this particular post updated on the regular with where I am at

#2 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 May 2019 - 12:08 PM

You are a traveler and find yourself on the enchanted island full of surprises.  The Alroth "Guiding" NPC (not tutorial) Posted Image welcomes you and gives you some quests to help you get around the island and gives you a bit of a history concerning the 'mainland' Alroth.

#3 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1172 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:21 AM

Ok so I have started writing and I have completed the first NPC!

Before I go any further though - this is my suggestion in order to create a nice backstory of your character once you spawn in for the first time.

When you spawn in for the very first time, you are spawned inside a house on RH.

Backstory -
You were a slave to the lord of this house and after 10 years of being in his service, you have finally earned your freedom. After you exchange words with him, you then proceed to where he tells you to go (which is Guru Gary). I'm not going into heaps of detail because I don't want to ruin the backstory for anyone. Guru Gary will carry on the tutorial from there.

Is this ok with everyone?

#4 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:18 AM

Don't want to be a downer, but not really fussy about being a slave.  Your spawning point is great though.
How about you wake up there and the owner of the house tells you he found you outside disoriented and brought you in for your safety.
You fell asleep on his couch without further discussion. The owner then tells you to go see Guru Gary for help.

#5 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 390 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:42 AM

Thanks again Timmy for taking on this important aspect of OL development!

For backstory info on Races and Alroth Lore (to date) refer to the following link;

https://www.other-li...ore/#entry21791

Regards
Z

#6 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1172 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:06 AM

Thanks Zian!

After reading through that lore, I am going to change the elven lord to a Draegoni lord

#7 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2665 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:41 AM

View PostAlddrA, on 12 June 2019 - 05:18 AM, said:

Don't want to be a downer, but not really fussy about being a slave.  Your spawning point is great though.
How about you wake up there and the owner of the house tells you he found you outside disoriented and brought you in for your safety.
You fell asleep on his couch without further discussion. The owner then tells you to go see Guru Gary for help.
++

#8 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 390 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:35 AM

As the design of RH matures the need to get quests completed for this map becomes more critical.

In order to complete RH maps we should probably decide on a list of Newbie quests required exclusively related to RH. I know that EL has quests on IP which sends newbies off to other EL maps to complete however this should not be our initial focus.

Can you guys come up with some ideas and post here?

Regards
Z

#9 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 June 2019 - 10:26 AM

The quests that come to mind for a newbie, would be how to harvest, how to talk in channels, how to talk to NPC, how to follow directions, how to make something.....

The different skills in OL, how to use items like a ships flag.

But of course, before all that, a short history of Alroth, the different races they are liable to encounter. The importance of reading books they discover along the way that will help to understand some of the history.

Is this helpful?

And maybe mention the #menu, #arm, our events, quests yet to come?

How about we get some input on the type of quests players might want to do?

#10 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1172 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:51 PM

I'm solely focusing on tutorial-type quests..no other quest types - and it is going to be the basis of how OL operates without overwhelming them too much.

I currently have and am working on;
  • How to work the game and functions on the screen they will see
  • Skills and quick tutorial on how to do each skill
  • Attributes, nexus and pickpoints (think perks should be added in too but can't really since they don't exist yet)
  • Special events (special days, invasions, joker etc)
I feel that game mechanics should come from the tutorial only as quest related. History about Alroth and races and general information isn't really necessary, sure its interesting, but it's not crucial and needed to know that information in order to progress in the game.
I feel that stuff could possibly be offloaded to another NPC inside a library maybe or a Story Teller-type NPC nearby if players are interested in learning the history of the demographics, racials and past. Can easy have Guru Gary mention to talk to said NPC if they wish to know about the lore, as some people don't care about lore, but others crave it.

#11 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 June 2019 - 06:01 AM

Nice going CoduX, looking forward to checking out your tutorials:)

#12 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 390 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 July 2019 - 12:52 PM

Just to draw focus on this topic...the last NPCs needed for RH are;

Tutorial NPC
Newbie Storage NPC

And NEW Player Spawn location:

I'm thinking that RH Hilltop Meeting Place could be a good spot for New player Spawn point (RH @ 262,134) where they could be met by both storage and tutorial NPCs. And regular players wanting to help with 'guiding' efforts! Any comments/suggestions??

https://imgur.com/FebS2gH

And, of course, waiting on Timmy's work could change my suggestion above.

Regards
Z

#13 Warlock

Warlock

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 01 July 2019 - 04:34 PM

Agree with your spawn point Z, looks good for starters :)

#14 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1172 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 06:16 AM

I do apologise, last few weeks has been extremely busy at work being end of financial year so work has been getting smashed, mixed in with myself being sick for a week and it's just starting to slowly die back down again so I should be able to get back into the swing of writing again.

#15 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 390 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:04 AM

View PostCoduX, on 04 July 2019 - 06:16 AM, said:

I do apologise, last few weeks has been extremely busy at work being end of financial year so work has been getting smashed, mixed in with myself being sick for a week and it's just starting to slowly die back down again so I should be able to get back into the swing of writing again.

Was talking with Codux earlier this morning and he has provided the following locations for Guru Gary, Newbie Storage and New Player Spawn locations;

https://imgur.com/gRUK5KV

Please review and comment/suggestions...

Regards
Z

#16 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:44 AM

Not trying to be picky, but tutorial NPC's name 'Guru Gary'.  Checked locations and they seem very fine to me.Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users