• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 skullpants

skullpants

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 10:05 AM

It has always bothered me that we have two skills ( engineering and tailoring ) that have no use in OL. I would like to propose the idea that the engineering skill be used to de-construct unwanted items into their components, a way to reverse the mixing process.Think of it as reverse engineering. It could work similar to mixing an item with a fail rate and a critical fail rate that could be reduced as levels are gained in the engineering skill. It would also consume food  much like mixing with different rates depending on the item to be de-constructed as well as the current engineering level.

Currently there are many items we all have in our inventory that we have no use for such as unicorn medallions, stars medallions, trash weapons, trash armors, etc. These items have no value at this time, but if they could be used to develop a new skill and gain useful mixing items i believe it would help the OL economy. Suddenly everything that drops in the game would have a new use and therefore a value.

I believe that if implemented this idea would be a good step in evolving OL as a game that is not just a copy of EL, but a new innovative concept game that has features that are all it's own. I also believe that this is the key to attracting a larger player base.

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

#2 shadowgate

shadowgate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 September 2020 - 01:06 PM

It is an interesting concept. However, it makes it far too easy to grind 2 skills at once by building, deconstructing and rebuilding. It will make grinding some mixing skills far too easy and cheaper then it was meant to be. And when the perks come out and people can get the gather perk the usability of the other meds will increase thus giving them value and the trash armors and weps can be sold to an npc already.

#3 skullpants

skullpants

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 01:26 PM

Thank you for the response. It was my thought that fail rates and food consumption could be used to balance the costs to keep the skill from being over powered. Also I was thinking the skill could work like magic skill in that you could make it so that you had to reach a certain level in the skill to deconstruct each item. You start with basic items and skill up to deconstruct more complex items. As far as making it too easy to mix, grinding is still grinding in my opinion. Trading one grind for another grind would still be grinding.

I'm not looking forward to the gather perk going live on main since it will all but eliminate a good source of income for mixers.

#4 EatsAllLife

EatsAllLife

• PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 06:02 PM

View Postshadowgate, on 12 September 2020 - 01:06 PM, said:

It is an interesting concept. However, it makes it far too easy to grind 2 skills at once by building, deconstructing and rebuilding. It will make grinding some mixing skills far too easy and cheaper then it was meant to be. And when the perks come out and people can get the gather perk the usability of the other meds will increase thus giving them value and the trash armors and weps can be sold to an npc already.

Easy way to combat that is make the decontruction process only give a % of mats back... and only available as a higher skill to level due to that cost portion. Say you only get 1/3 of the ings back per deconstruct, and if there is an enriched ess- it doesn't come with. unless multiples, then maybe 1.

#5 ohmygod

ohmygod

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 12 September 2020 - 07:37 PM

I do agree that we have an over abundance of mob drop items that need some use to be found in game for them. "Deconstructing" them to % of base ings to take finished item out of the game or giving them another use in game such as a quest item needs to be considered before we get 10000000's of same useless item in game taking up players storage space slots.

But what do i know? Experience tells me that the Forums is where good ideas come to die.

#6 skullpants

skullpants

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 04:51 PM

I think if one is going to deconstruct high end items he should have a chance to get the high end ingredients. I am ok with the chance being low, but the chance should be there. I do appreciate the response though Eats.

Ohmygod I agree that everything in the game should have some sort of use. Currently there are quite a large number of raw materials that have no use. What a rich and vibrant game experience OL would be if this were not the case.

#7 skullpants

skullpants

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 10:05 AM

I fear Ohmygod is correct. This discussion has died.

#8 Bat17

Bat17

• PipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 01:07 AM

Books could be made re-readable, but giving a small amount of XP for the skill that the books are based on after the first read.
If we were to introduce some of the higher level items then that would lead to consumption of some items.
Reduce the number of "Trash" drop.
People seem to be leaving lots of stuff on the battle field anyway so just don't drop it, the less that's dropped of the useful items then the more opportunity there will be for mixers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users