As some of you might've already heard, I've been working on a new alternative OL game server for the past 3 weeks.My intent is to implement a similar game to OL main, with some differences and with many new features.The new server is not based on EL code, so I believe I could potentially make it fully open source, if there are others who would wish to contribute.Why did I start this project? Here are 10 topics from this forum where there were great ideas suggested years and years ago, which essentially just died in the forums. (I bet there are 100 more topics like these ones, just linked these 10 as example).
- Party system: https://www.other-li...arty-system-v2/
- Mobs that can summon: https://www.other-li...moner-monsters/
- Guild castle/capital: https://www.other-li...n-the-capitals/
- Equipment variety: https://www.other-li...uipment-please/
- Engineering to build structures: https://www.other-li...sts-guild-wars/
- Bosses with heals: https://www.other-li...552-boss-heals/
- More variety/diversity: https://www.other-li...more-diversity/
- Forge/anvil required for mixing: https://www.other-li...opic/991-forge/
- Backstab mechanic for multi combat: https://www.other-li...ange/#entry9527
- Different death mechanics: https://www.other-li...7-when-you-die/
I would be very interested in hearing thoughts and suggestions from the community. If you could have anything implemented into the game, what would it be and why?
I will be keep updating this thread with the current status/progress of the project.
NEW FEATURES IMPLEMENTED SO FAR
- Party system: exp and drops are shared with the team.
- Instances. Each party gets their own instance of a dungeon, and each guild gets their own instance of the guild map.
- New monsters: archers, mages, priests and summoners.
- Backstab mechanic: deal extra damage when hitting a mob in the back.
- New death mechanics: instead of immediately teleporting to the Underworld on death, players stay dead where they died for 1 minute. The player can stay dead and wait for a party member to #revive the player when out of combat. Alternatively, after 1 minute, the player can respawn to the respawn point of that map.
- Equipment upgrades. Crafted equipment starts at +1, and can be upgraded all the way to +10 for extra stats.
- Guild map and guild levels. High level equipment can ONLY be manufactured and upgraded at the forge/anvil on the guild map. The guild needs to be upgraded to a higher level, to gain better tools, to create higher level items.
- Guild map invasions. Weekly invasion that the guild must defend, in order to access the anvil. Invasions will be harder for higher level guilds.
- Hireable and upgradeable mercenaries on the guild map to help defend the fort against the invasion.
- Different weapons having different attack range and attack speed. Different weapons will be stronger in different situations and against different monsters.
- [DONE] Implementing Harvesting skill in a completely different way, to make high level harvesting/mixing more team-based, instead of being solo/afk content. I am planning on making high level ores really heavy, so that you will need a mule/caravan to carry the ore from the mine to the storage. There will be high level mobs attacking the caravan, so you will need a few fighters to defend/escort the caravan to safety.
- PK Tournaments and/or guild wars.
- Allow players to create their own structures, e.g. harvest stone to be able to build a stonewall.
Connecting to the new server works basically exactly the same as connecting to the test server. However, the new server is not included in the servers.lst file, so we need to add it there first.
- First, you need to locate the servers.lst file in your Other-Life installation. By default, the file is located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Other-Life\servers.lst (on linux, this file should be found in ~/.olc).
- Take a backup of the file, just in case something bad happens (copy&paste the file).
- Edit the original servers.lst file in any text editor, e.g. Notepad. You most likely need to run the text editor in Administrator mode to be able to save it.
- Replace the last line of the file to be the following content. Alternatively, comment out the last line of the file by adding a '#' character to the beginning of the last line, and then add the following as a new line to the file:
idefix-ol idefix-ol ec2-34-220-194-146.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com 8888 Other-life (idefix)
- Create a new shortcut for the game, just like you would for the test server.
- Edit the shortcut properties, and set the Target to be e.g.
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Other-Life\ol.exe" idefix-ol