12 replies to this topic

#1 Caduceus

Caduceus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 April 2022 - 12:01 AM

Hello,

The OL community may remember Stouxy (STX) and I from about six years ago when we were discussing the possibility of investing in and developing OL. While this did not work out at the time, we became friends with Learner (Steve) and kept in touch with him over the years. In the recent months, we purchased the EL license and have been working closely with Steve to develop a new version of the game.

Because of this, we have been speaking with him on a daily basis, and were surprised when he did not respond to any of our calls/messages after last Tuesday, March 29th. We spent the past week trying to contact him and when we still hadn’t heard back, we contacted the police in his city to do a wellness check.

A couple of hours ago, the police informed us that they found Steve passed away in his home. This news comes as a huge shock and we extend our condolences to those that knew and cared about Steve. We have just informed his family as well.

Steve was a brilliant man that had a passion for creating and developing OL. He was a shrewd programmer of the utmost professionalism and was also a dreamer that loved anime and musing on endless possibilities. He will be greatly missed.

- Caduceus and Stouxy

#2 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 April 2022 - 04:54 AM

OH MY GOSH111

#3 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 05 April 2022 - 05:04 AM

RIP Learner
thanks for the memories

#4 Zian

Zian

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 April 2022 - 09:55 AM

I'm in shock...I felt something wasn't right. My condolences to his family and friends and the OL family!

Regards
Z

#5 DueCE

DueCE

Test IM

• PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 April 2022 - 10:58 AM

RIP

Im at a loss of words.. thank you Learner for everything.  OL has been a place of comfort for myself and many other of the years

~D

#6 Warlock

Warlock

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 05 April 2022 - 02:33 PM

While we fought alot of the time, we had so many more good times. Over the years, we became great friends. In shock, dont really know what to say, except to thank him for everything he's done, giving the opportunity to meet some truly great new friends. Has been an absolute pleasure playing with all of you guys since the very start of OL. while i hadnt been active in the past good while, I still logged on to talk to him each few days, we had some great banter going. fuck i do miss him alrdy, OL will always hold a place in my heart. <3

#7 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 April 2022 - 02:36 PM

Me too WL, will miss him dearlyPosted Image

#8 Rabbitman

Rabbitman

That Mod Guy

• PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 05 April 2022 - 04:25 PM

Wow that's so sudden. Thank you L for all you did for EL/OL and the community. You will be missed dearly. RIP

#9 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 05 April 2022 - 11:01 PM

Honestly at a loss for words..he was a great man, truly and utterly brilliant at perceiving the world at a different angle than most. Great banter, great guy...

I believe when I say this that I speak on behalf of most people, but I will miss him :(

Thank you for everything you did for the EL/OL community over the years

RIP mate

#10 Mixi

Mixi

Newbie Forever

• Pip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 06 April 2022 - 02:39 AM

I was very saddened by the news. Learner was the main reason I logged into OL. Even though sometimes we would not cross paths due to different timezones, I enjoyed our chats and his humor. It was always nice to see the changes in OL and hear about all the ideas.
OL and EL will not be the same without him.
RIP

#11 BattleWizard

BattleWizard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Location-

Posted 06 April 2022 - 06:16 AM

I never thought it'd happen, I always figured he was too stubborn to pass. Now that he did, idk what to think. There's so much I never told him, it always felt like I'd see him again tomorrow.

He was always there for us though. Not once was he like "I don't have time for this!", he'd always make the time. He was the family member we didn't deserve.

And for what? Why help us or do IMs/invs/etc? We weren't doing him any favors. He genuinely did it to make us happy, not once expecting anything in return..

There's more I'd like to say, but I'll end it there. I'mma miss him and his crazy young-hearted ways. Hopefully he's with his wife once again..

Rest in Peace L, you will be missed..

#12 bluap

bluap

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 April 2022 - 10:30 AM

Incredibly shocking and sad news.  What a loss.  Makes me think of all the times we could have talked more, but didn't.  You always think there will be more time.

#13 EatsAllLife

EatsAllLife

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 01:29 AM

To start, a shot of Brandy for Learner. Even though I dislike the taste lmao. Anyways, I guess I just have to say thanks for getting me into my career path and practically watching me grow up.

Starting back in late 2012, maybe early 2013 I began playing OL. Throughout that time many eternal friendships were created and carried far outside of the world you provided us.

Thanks to you, and many others in the community my interest in game development took off. You even supported me throughout this endeavor, reaching out to me to have simple edits. Such as those silly little Pink Shop Boots. You were so picky about them, but it was my first works for a game that actually made it to the main game.

From there, we continued to converse and you peaked my interest in Anime, going as far as to rip some of your disks to digital versions, upload them, and send them to me to watch. I'll forever keep those copies of Witchblade, and continue to share this as a first anime to many others. I actually had ended up having to make a list of anime's you would suggest to watch... Heck, even ones you didn't like but thought I would!

Not to mention, one of the first major supporters of my lifestyle, and always providing a listening ear.

One day, your fruit cave will be reborn with a tribute of you.

As you would say "there is always more to learn".

~Eats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users