13 replies to this topic

#1 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:14 PM

Would it be possible for ol to have a separate sub forum where issues relating to client development, the EL communication protocol, bot development and any other game related coding issues can be discussed ?

This might help to encourage more ppl to become involved in helping with development, and also provide a means though which those of us who are banned from the EL forum can contribute, ask questions  and obtain info needed for our own coding projects.

It might also be nice to allow tutorials on basic aspects of navigating the el source code, introducing ppl to the 'C' language, as well as providing a more up to date resource for information on the el comms protocol.

#2 Korrode

Korrode

• PipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationMelburn, Strayamate.

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:00 PM

+1

#3 Koss

Koss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:29 PM

+1, would love to see all types of coding related topics here (related to the game of course).  Client development, encyclopedia (XML?), website development (if anyone makes a fan site or wiki perhaps?), etc.

#4 greg

greg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:33 AM

Definitely a +1 from me, especially as the OL client is now permanently forked from the EL client.

#5 Trojan_Knight

Trojan_Knight

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

I agree. Even though I'm not a programmer. I think some of my insight to maps could be helpful. OR at least the members of the community that has some insight to programming would be able to possibly help as well.

:)

#6 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

Speaking personally, i'd find that very helpful. I know something about the technical aspects of how map files are arranged and how to interrogate them by code, but i'm clueless on how things like the Map Editor operates or the best way to design maps.

Ok, so here's what i'm thinking as putting forward as the poll (plz excuse humour)..............

Do you think adding a sub forum dealing with programming and map design would be a good idea ?

( ) Yup. Go for it.
( ) I don't really understand why we need one
( ) Who cares
( ) Nope. The idea sucks more than an industrial sized pump.

Should the sub forum contain further sub forums dealing separately with client coding, EL comms protocol, Maps, Bot coding and Other ?

( ) Brilliant
( ) Too many
( ) Not enough
( ) Couldn't care less
( ) You've got to be kidding

Should these forums be made as nub friendly as possible with lots of tutorials, hints, tips and help

( ) Yup. Lets really try and make itaccessible and encouraging
( ) Nope. Only the truly worthy may enter the temple
( ) Who cares
( ) This whole idea is festering pustule that should be lanced with the sharp end of an orc slayer.

#7 Trojan_Knight

Trojan_Knight

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:16 AM

I think map design itself shouldn't be just a coding topic. Be good to keep one where it currently is to help answer questions and help inform players of some map insight for those wishing to try and create a map or many. However, if your thinking of the route of what/how to recode a def file for example with new attributes or etc. Then yes. But still provide a summery of a basic def file to the public for example purposes. I think anyone that OL deems to be a dev or mod, or OL feels could provide valuable information along the areas of this idea for one reason or another should also have access to this area for the time being till Designated Dev's are in place. I know we are all suggesting things and etc, suggesting an idea and implimenting it are 2 different things imo.

Overall, I think your options are great and cover everything. Just my 2 cents.

Edit:
Not sure such area would be a private area or a public area. May be good to inform.

Edited by Trojan_Knight, 09 October 2012 - 02:19 AM.

#8 Bat17

Bat17

• PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:47 AM

"Edit:
Not sure such area would be a private area or a public area. May be good to inform."

Not sure quite how forums work but could it be read only for ppl who cant post rather than locked?
I dont know much about coding but do like to see whats going on and if I can understand any of it :-)

Bat17

#9 Torg

Torg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:26 AM

View PostTrojan_Knight, on 09 October 2012 - 02:16 AM, said:

I think map design itself shouldn't be just a coding topic.

I expect the forum section would be something like "Game Development" where "Coding" is a sub-forum, along with "Map-making", etc.

#10 Trojan_Knight

Trojan_Knight

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:44 PM

View PostBat17, on 09 October 2012 - 02:47 AM, said:

"Edit:
Not sure such area would be a private area or a public area. May be good to inform."

Not sure quite how forums work but could it be read only for ppl who cant post rather than locked?
I dont know much about coding but do like to see whats going on and if I can understand any of it :-)

Bat17

I have a few forums of my own in the past. And there is a way to set groups, and with those groups would give ability to view X sections of a forums. I kind of like everything being public. Allows for more interaction and etc. Also is reason to why I edited my post to ensure myself and everyone also understood.

View PostTorg, on 09 October 2012 - 07:26 AM, said:

I expect the forum section would be something like "Game Development" where "Coding" is a sub-forum, along with "Map-making", etc.

That makes sense, I like it!

#11 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

Ok peeps, are you all happy for me to pay $2 to get this to a poll, would like the questions changed, or more time to discuss. ???

Myself, i'm looking forward to asking a barrage of questions relating to the client source as soon as teh forum is up lol

#12 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

Ok guys. Poll paid for. Have fun

#13 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:16 AM

i dont know why this has to be a poll, its only a good thing to get a sub forum for these type of topics

#14 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:32 AM

Chance to donate another $2 to a good cause lets say ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users