•  

Equipment breaks system

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Poll: Equipment break system (67 member(s) have cast votes)

What should be down about how equipment breaks? (must read Notes before answering)

1. Add item quality (46 votes [68.66%])

Percentage of vote: 68.66%

2. Add one or more items in a degrade tree (3 votes [4.48%])

Percentage of vote: 4.48%

3. Other, read in comments (4 votes [5.97%])

Percentage of vote: 5.97%

4. I don't know (6 votes [8.96%])

Percentage of vote: 8.96%

5. Leave it alone (8 votes [11.94%])

Percentage of vote: 11.94%

What priority is this?

1. Very important, make everything else wiat (3 votes [4.48%])

2. More important then Attribute/Combat (3 votes [4.48%])

3. Less important then Attribute/Combat (38 votes [56.72%])

Percentage of vote: 56.72%

4. I don't know (4 votes [5.97%])

Percentage of vote: 5.97%

5. Not very important, get to it eventually (19 votes [28.36%])

Percentage of vote: 28.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 SolarStar

SolarStar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

I like the idea of item quality. When you make a brand new sword (possible Q1-Q10 , where Q10 is the best) you could have Q8 and with other methods (new skill perhaps) you could improve it to Q9 and Q10. I won't go into a repair system yet as Korrode requested.

The chance that you loose a good item is definatly reduced. Less need for NMT-cape 24/7.

View Postmistral, on 08 October 2012 - 07:42 AM, said:

How would those systems influence the market?

There will be much more variety on the market and player need to bargein over the price. I'd like to make a comparison with the EL's price system. All the prices in EL are pretty much dictated by NPC buy and sell price and also by the large amount of items which robots have to offer. In short, I believe more variety gives more freedom.

#22 Infamous

Infamous

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

Voted Other and Very important.

but seeing it would require alot of extra time/difficult to implement, wouldn't it be easier to just decrease the breakages %? that should be a quick and easy fix and be exactly what players want without over-complicating things.

#23 Korrode

Korrode

• PipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationMelburn, Strayamate.

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:01 PM

View PostInfamous, on 14 October 2012 - 09:07 PM, said:

but seeing it would require alot of extra time/difficult to implement, wouldn't it be easier to just decrease the breakages %? that should be a quick and easy fix and be exactly what players want without over-complicating things.

Not really...

EDIT:
heh, there's a perfect post to explain why atm:
http://www.other-lif...minutes-in-use/

Just decreasing the rate but keeping this system doesn't stop this from happening.
People don't like it.
The proposed ideas make it so your luck would have to be so epically bad for something like this to happen.

#24 Grendous

Grendous

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:29 AM

How would this effect economy? Less breakage would mean less demand.

#25 Korrode

Korrode

• PipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:12 AM

View PostGrendous, on 15 October 2012 - 01:29 AM, said:

How have you come to the conclusion that these systems equate to less breakage?

Did you not see the bolded part of Learner's note in the first post?

#26 Grendous

Grendous

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:33 AM

View PostKorrode, on 15 October 2012 - 02:12 AM, said:

View PostGrendous, on 15 October 2012 - 01:29 AM, said:

How have you come to the conclusion that these systems equate to less breakage?

Did you not see the bolded part of Learner's note in the first post?
Thanks I just skimmed it. Sounds like a good idea

#27 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2661 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:47 AM

View PostKorrode, on 14 October 2012 - 11:01 PM, said:

Not really...

EDIT:

Just decreasing the rate but keeping this system doesn't stop this from happening.
People don't like it.
The proposed ideas make it so your luck would have to be so epically bad for something like this to happen.
Where implementation time goes up is how to handle Storage and Trade because any sort of per item tracking greatly complicates that.

#28 Korrode

Korrode

• PipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:35 AM

View PostLearner, on 15 October 2012 - 05:47 AM, said:

Where implementation time goes up is how to handle Storage and Trade because any sort of per item tracking greatly complicates that.
Yeah I get that.
I don't mean to imply i'm against simply lowering the breakrates for now while we're still on the current system.

Was just responding to Infamous' voting "other", meaning he actually prefers that option over these ones.

#29 Lupus

Lupus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPoland/Åšwidnik

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:55 AM

I'd like to see that people could repair their items under manu/craft skills. Dmgd item+some bars/fe/other ings. With chance to fail/completely break item.
Knowledge required: same as dmgd item needs to be made

#30 Korrode

Korrode

• PipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:17 PM

View PostKorrode, on 07 October 2012 - 10:21 PM, said:

(I know people are already starting to think "repair system" but please don't discuss that here, that's a whole other thread, just operate under the assumption a repair system doesn't exist for now.)

#31 Infamous

Infamous

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:19 PM

View PostKorrode, on 14 October 2012 - 11:01 PM, said:

Not really...

EDIT:

People don't like it.

it's like that cause the procentages are high, it doesn't happen that fast with greatswords etc cause they have a low breakrate. can do the same to these.

#32 Lupus

Lupus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPoland/Åšwidnik

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

I tried to find another way but I failed :( (not about my prev post)
In this situation I'm after the first solution.

#Edit:
Voted: add quality and less important than cobat/attributes

#33 Korrode

Korrode

• PipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

View PostInfamous, on 15 October 2012 - 01:19 PM, said:

it's like that cause the procentages are high, it doesn't happen that fast with greatswords etc cause they have a low breakrate.

With the current system, a great sword can still break on the first hit. At least with these systems you can guatantee more than that. Even if it was a guatantee of only 10 hits, that's still 10 times more reliable, no?

#34 bog

bog

• PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

View PostKorrode, on 15 October 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

With the current system, a great sword can still break on the first hit. At least with these systems you can guatantee more than that. Even if it was a guatantee of only 10 hits, that's still 10 times more reliable, no?

could coding be done to make PVE and PVP swords, the same swords but each category having different break rates. PVE last a shorter time, PVP last longer and would necessarily need to be of the finest Quality.

if Weapons are given specific use as the Orc Slayer implies , say in end game instances -- this would give rise to demand for high production which is good for alot of people in the game from the leveler in High End st00fs to the new guy churning out ings for the busy guild he's in.

. Making things like armor and swords last longer and longer might be good at first but what about later when everyone has ten of them, everyone except the newer players who never get involved because nothing has a use for low level people. Make things useful but dont make them last forever, make it change. In end game instances make it essential to carry certain items, but make them items that newer players can make or gather because that way you directly tie the game from old to newer blood. Breaking is good because it can actually build whole unions of production.

But hey, as much as I can say dont, if it really is a pain in the nuts to have your great sword break on the first swing -- that aughta be changed

#35 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

I voted pretty much in line with the majority, ie an instanced (durability/quality) system, plus it being less important than the combat system atm. However, I don't envy Learner the amount of coding it would take to implement this feature and, if all it returns is something that benefits only combat players, i'd question whether that would be fair on others.

However, if the result is that the durability/quality of weapons is then reflected in a more diverse set of manufacturing options and outcomes, eg where durability of an item is determined by differing ings/skill levels/books etc, (not to mention the possibility of repair skills) then imho, that would be a win win situation serving all players equally well.

If the proposal means a change to the el communication protocol (which it surely would), I guess it would be nice to get a 'heads up' on the nature of the changes well ahead of implementation, if only so as those of us who intend to run bots have plenty of time to make necessary changes to our own code base.

#36 Infamous

Infamous

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

View PostKorrode, on 15 October 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

View PostInfamous, on 15 October 2012 - 01:19 PM, said:

it's like that cause the procentages are high, it doesn't happen that fast with greatswords etc cause they have a low breakrate.

depends, the breakrate would increase so you'd have more chance to degrade it 10 times and poof it, where-as on the other side with just lower breakages you'd have small chances your item degrades, then have an attempt for Tankel to fix/break it.

in either situation shit can happen, one has 10 "back-ups" and high breakrate, the other low breakrate and a gc sink/uncertain back-up repair.

besides with just decreasing breakrate he could fix that quickly and focus on the attribute system and maybe later think about this instanced break system, while we still enjoy lower breakrates in the meantime.
rather then think about this instanced breakrate system now and have him focus on either 1 of 2 things while we still have high breakrates in the meantime.

#37 Korrode

Korrode

• PipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:04 PM

View PostInfamous, on 15 October 2012 - 08:39 PM, said:

besides with just decreasing breakrate he could fix that quickly and focus on the attribute system and maybe later think about this instanced break system, while we still enjoy lower breakrates in the meantime.
rather then think about this instanced breakrate system now and have him focus on either 1 of 2 things while we still have high breakrates in the meantime.
Ya i agree, think most people do. Which is why people (myself included) voted less important than attributes/combat.

#38 DonPedro

DonPedro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

I think some items break WAY too easy, like leather boots, u need several pairs on you if u wanna be pretty sure u have boots on whild figth train.

#39 Infamous

Infamous

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:52 PM

so it's better if mayhaps for now we just decrease the breakrate.
cause who knows how long it's gonna take for the attr system to get in place, and after that how long this instanced break system will take to implement.
maybe weeks, months? atleast till then we dont break stuff that easy then

#40 Bat17

Bat17

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:21 AM

View Postthemuntdregger, on 15 October 2012 - 07:34 PM, said:

if all it returns is something that benefits only combat players, i'd question whether that would be fair on others.

However, if the result is that the durability/quality of weapons is then reflected in a more diverse set of manufacturing options and outcomes, eg where durability of an item is determined by differing ings/skill levels/books etc, (not to mention the possibility of repair skills) then imho, that would be a win win situation serving all players equally well.

Hopefully this could be applied to things like the vial mold too rather than just have it break staight away!
And I think that non combat players should have a wider range of tools to make stuff, especialy for high lvl stuff, these could all then have high cost and staggered breaks. lots of specialized weapons and armour for the fighting community lets add more variety forr the non combatants :-)

Bat17

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users