•  
- - - - -

Should internal maps be accessible from the main map screen?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 greg

greg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:20 AM

I have just been purging c2 maps from the download and saw that mapinfo.lst is the file that puts the boxes around each part of the map when you view the entire continent map.

An idea came to me:

How many times has someone asked "where is the silver in xyz" and you had to either google, search through your mapmark files or actually go there to find out? I know I have done all three many times in the past, recently just a few days ago or so.

My suggestion: dedicate a small part of the blank area of the continent map to show caves so you can click on the appropriate cave to show the map.

It wouldn't be difficult at all, a quick edit of the main continent image file to write "CC", "VOTD insides" or whatever, add the coordinates of the text to mapinfo.lst and you're done.

One click of the main continent window, one click of the cave you are interested in and you're looking at the cave.

It makes no sense to carry maps around with you that you can only look at when you are in the vicinity.

Ideas? Suggestions? Comments?

#2 StarDark

StarDark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:28 AM

There are no official maps for caves right?

#3 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:03 AM

Would be nice, to hover over caves for a button that opens the map inside, but we can wait for this till we get new maps tbh

#4 StarDark

StarDark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:43 AM

View Postscarr, on 22 October 2012 - 03:03 AM, said:

Would be nice, to hover over caves for a button that opens the map inside, but we can wait for this till we get new maps tbh

IF there are new maps coming (is this true?), then I don't see a reason to wait to implement this feature unless Learner has other priorities.
But we will have to think about what entrance to show and which not, because some entrances are supposed to be a secret.
Also currently 'insides' of (for example) White Stone are all in 1 big map, this would surely make the map 'zooming' (let's call this feature zooming for future reference :P) a bit odd.
This could be changed by either giving each inside a map of its own (sounds like a terrible big job to me and probably unnecessary)
or
Change the way maps are displayed, maybe make them more dynamically depending on your position in the map?

Just shouting out some ideas here, haven't really taken a long thought about it, maybe someone else has ideas on it?

#5 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2320 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

CC is one of the few cave maps supplied. One reason to avoid too many internal maps is also to encourage exploring. For old EL maps & players, that is not important. For new players and new maps, it is.

#6 Korrode

Korrode

• PipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationMelburn, Strayamate.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:15 AM

View PostLearner, on 22 October 2012 - 10:09 AM, said:

CC is one of the few cave maps supplied. One reason to avoid too many internal maps is also to encourage exploring. For old EL maps & players, that is not important. For new players and new maps, it is.
You say that like 90% of players, new or otherwise, don't install Bloodsucker maps the second they hear about them. :)

#7 Bat17

Bat17

• PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:43 AM

I am quite OK with having the resources removed from showing their locations on the maps but we still need maps! What’s the point of exploring a cave if you can’t then mark your map to go back to the same places again? Now if we could have maps like the old D&D ones that only showed where you had already explored then that would be good. :-)

Bat17

#8 StarDark

StarDark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:57 AM

You mean fog of war?
That's actually a great idea for inside/cave maps =D

#9 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:54 AM

View PostStarDark, on 23 October 2012 - 04:57 AM, said:

You mean fog of war?
That's actually a great idea for inside/cave maps =D
yeah pitch black, and put torches around the map for lighting

#10 StarDark

StarDark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:25 AM

Fog of war for the cave mapscreen that is

#11 Trojan_Knight

Trojan_Knight

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

BS maps were used by many as Korrode has stated. Many liked them, and many liked that they had the harvestables located on the map itself. Though I used BS maps as well. I agree with the idea restricting the given location of the harvestable to a degree to allow exploration of the maps.. I do agree each cave, maze, etc should have its own overview map. Though if there were to be harvestables labeled on the map. To restrict their location from being exploited, yet maybe create a legend that you can look at on the overview screen thats located in the border/a border. To list x names of harvestables in this map.

This would still allow exploring, allow players to mark maps of where they found x harvestable. Yet not tell you x harvestable is located here, right off the bat.

:)

#12 Black

Black

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationIf not on OL, maybe try Sissi on EL

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:06 AM

All I want is a map of all insides, that is enough for me, I dont need them to be accessable from the main map

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users