15 replies to this topic

#1 yarnball

yarnball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

Heyo artists :)

I haven't seen that mentioned much (if any), but have you been thinking as of where and how could your respective maps be integrated in the current OL universe ?

would it be added to C1 ? would you try and make a new C2 ?

#2 Grendous

Grendous

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

when IP is redone could have a dock/ship in northern part and have maps extend north of there. The island cave that went to C2 could be redone also

#3 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2661 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

There are like 3-4 ships that will be available as exits.

#4 Trojan_Knight

Trojan_Knight

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:04 PM

I think getting an idea of how the maps will connect or be placed would be a great. It would help everyone that is going to make maps and write def files to be able to match what to espect. Is there any way we could get some kind of generic overview of a land mass, and which areas of that land mass are in process of being recreated and which need to be replaced?

I know I'm currently working on Toletum (caves & insides) and Oliver's Landing (just started exterior terrain). Would like to see who is working on what so that maybe we can cordinate better for def files and map terrain to be be more flowable between map exits/ enterances. Even a simple jpeg img w/ a tic - tac - toe box grid on it would be sufficient for example.

:)

#5 yarnball

yarnball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:14 AM

I think getting an idea of how the maps will connect or be placed would be a great.

Well, there's that, but I was also meaning other considerations such as :

-map difficulty : no map directly accessible from Isla Prima should have fluffies :) a logical approach would be to have harder and more agressive mobs the further you're from IP (distance or number of boat/map change wise), sorta like the current C1
-coherence :
- - soil type : an obvious example is how Tahjari's sand desert extends seamlessly into the south of DP and SK ; or the way snow maps in EL's C2 are all concentrated at the bottom of it.
- - architecture, vegetation : please, no random AA-like oriental castles in the middle of mediaval european constructions :D

#6 groomsh

groomsh

• PipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:14 AM

Well ... i think it would be great if some poetic mind could come up with a basic scenario/outline of the "powers" that be in the world of Other-Life.
In other words, a basic outline of a story line would be great when considering the whole game world, otherwise it will be just a bunch of connected maps/lands...

#7 Trojan_Knight

Trojan_Knight

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:03 AM

View Postyarnball, on 29 October 2012 - 01:14 AM, said:

I think getting an idea of how the maps will connect or be placed would be a great.

Well, there's that, but I was also meaning other considerations such as :

-map difficulty : no map directly accessible from Isla Prima should have fluffies :) a logical approach would be to have harder and more agressive mobs the further you're from IP (distance or number of boat/map change wise), sorta like the current C1
-coherence :
- - soil type : an obvious example is how Tahjari's sand desert extends seamlessly into the south of DP and SK ; or the way snow maps in EL's C2 are all concentrated at the bottom of it.
- - architecture, vegetation : please, no random AA-like oriental castles in the middle of mediaval european constructions :D

View Postgroomsh, on 29 October 2012 - 01:14 AM, said:

Well ... i think it would be great if some poetic mind could come up with a basic scenario/outline of the "powers" that be in the world of Other-Life.
In other words, a basic outline of a story line would be great when considering the whole game world, otherwise it will be just a bunch of connected maps/lands...

Actually, after seeing this thread. I understood the direction this was going. So after my posting on this thread I took it apon myself to start a thread in the dev area based on what the end goal for OL is in regards to maps and population. I also made a few different grids of contintents and linked the one that I felt deemed itself most suitable based on current map placement, terrain flow and restricting a few maps that are land locked, since not all areas have boats (take me for example, im in arizona usa all we have is little streams, man made lakes and lots and lots of desert and some mountains and a huge hole in the ground lolz.)

Anyways, back on topic. In my opinion, untill we have a better understanding of the end goal, like stated in my thread in the dev area. We can't really be sure if we can specialize a continent's placement in a planet type ordea via terrain types. Since we do not know if OL's end goal is to have a planet based on X number of active players as a goal with multiple continents or just 1 or 2 continents.  So by including suggestions for terrian types in additional continents at this time is somewhat pointless in my opinion. Though, its not to say that we can't get a better understanding of current maps in progress so that maybe map makers can talley them in some manner to have a better flow of terrain and other things as well, including placement of mobs and harvestables for example.

As for odd structures that do not seem to fit an area. I don't really have a issue with this, I think its okay to a limited extent. Only because if we take NYC for example. There are tons of 40+ story buildings. But you just mind find that 1 building that is still a single level in the middle of the NYC concrete jungle.

A story would be good to have as well. But is it easier to create a story off of maps in place, or is it easier to create maps off a story that is already in place? I think it could actually go either way. Though I do think a basic outline, chart, or graph to reference would be a good thing to have.

;)

#8 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:50 AM

i don't think it is completely necessary that all maps link into each other like it is now, because then if you want to add another map, the continent shape must change aswel
so i suggest to do something like this:

as you see, you just make one big continent that has parts grass, snow and dessert, if you would make a map, it doesn't have to connect to an existing map, but can really be placed anywhere

Posted Image

or you remove the thumbnails from the continent overview completely and replace them with icons from Castles/Villages/Caves/Citys etc

#9 yarnball

yarnball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:28 AM

Alternatively, we could have an archipel where most islands would be comprised of 1 to 3 maps, rather than a monoblock continent (if C1 is to be changed as a whole, that is)
it allows for more leeway in map variety.

#10 Trojan_Knight

Trojan_Knight

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

View Postscarr, on 29 October 2012 - 05:50 AM, said:

i don't think it is completely necessary that all maps link into each other like it is now, because then if you want to add another map, the continent shape must change aswel.

as you see, you just make one big continent that has parts grass, snow and dessert, if you would make a map, it doesn't have to connect to an existing map, but can really be placed anywhere or you remove the thumbnails from the continent overview completely and replace them with icons from Castles/Villages/Caves/Citys etc

This would work as a band-aid in my opinion, let me explain. When the continental map is filled to lets say 90%, how is the placement of the remaining 10% decided if any? At that point do maps become required to have X features / terrain etc due to limited space. Or do they become what ever the map creation is and just stuck anywhere? This is stated because even your continental map has a terrain flow to it. That would allow where to place what map. Plus if there is to be a overview img/map of a continent like there is now, eventually at some point we may run out of continential space.  I think this is a good idea, similar to mine yet the difference may be that it prolongs the issue that may arrise during or at the end goal of number of maps vs population of active players on game. The only downside I see to going this route, would be when the continental map becomes 90% full, if additional maps are to be included on it. Then the continental overview map could become unprofessional looking via strikepoints of map placement.

View Postyarnball, on 29 October 2012 - 06:28 AM, said:

Alternatively, we could have an archipel where most islands would be comprised of 1 to 3 maps, rather than a monoblock continent (if C1 is to be changed as a whole, that is)
it allows for more leeway in map variety.

Irl our planet is a basis of mixture of archipelago and monoblocking. Some islands very tiny, some islands very large. If we take china to Africa or Europe for example, thats similar to monoblocking. If we look at the philipean islands, that would be similar to archipelago in your example on a small scale, or australia as a large scale( i think australia has a few islands or so in its boundries on south side?) I think both can coinside with one another as long as the end goal is clearly understood.

Overall the point I'm making is to get a clear understanding of when everything is said and done, in regards to maps with a crapload of active players, where exactly do we see ourselfs in reference to this idea. Because with out that information, we will not be able to understand to the fullest extent. Which would restrict the ability to some small extent possibly of ensuring that maps have some similarities based on climate/terrain types.

Now we could build maps/continents as we go. Which is great, though I think most players would like to see the maps somewhat flow together in some manner on a large scale, and random terrain entries/exits on a small scale or limited basis. (thats not to say you couldn't have a desert map with a few islands with in it, or a change of terrain type with in it as long as it flows, what matters is the boundries on each map that make up the continent.) And in order to do so, we either need a outline for this topic as a whole, or a outline of some type for each continent as the idea of a new continent is approved.

Just my 2 gc
:)

#11 Stronze

Stronze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

every game i play. all maps are based on a flat surface.

be be nice if a map was based on a sphere for once.
and polar caps be nice. be a good place to put yeti's,penguins and polar bears.

hehe google other life instead of google earth XD

#12 yarnball

yarnball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

Well, that and for example, in EL any place in C1 or C2 had day and night at the exact same time :)
Tho, of course, getting too realistic on that would be a pain to code and probably confusing to players

be be nice if a map was based on a sphere for once.
hmmm. As long as it's just a display on the global map and nothing to code, that looks feasible

#13 Grendous

Grendous

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:20 AM

Maybe I'm missing something. Maps are flat if they weren't they would be called globes

#14 Bat17

Bat17

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

View Postyarnball, on 29 October 2012 - 09:54 PM, said:

Well, that and for example, in EL any place in C1 or C2 had day and night at the exact same time :)
Tho, of course, getting too realistic on that would be a pain to code and probably confusing to players

Jet Lag from TP :(

#15 yarnball

yarnball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

View PostGrendous, on 30 October 2012 - 02:20 AM, said:

Maybe I'm missing something. Maps are flat if they weren't they would be called globes
They are if you're using the Mercator projection ; but for example, the Winkel tripel and Mollweide projections aren't.

#16 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

Well,i am currently working on awesome map,Huge city has been done with all details.
As I see you guys have nice ideas etc,thats great
I will keep working ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users