2 replies to this topic

#1 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

Atm daylight hours are hard coded into the client, which means we end up with a fixed and equal period of darkness and light. It kind of suggests a world with no axial tilt and hence no seasons.

As far as backstory is concerned, a land without seasons is unlikely to have developed a calendar; after all, why bother when your activities aren't dictated by the time of the year? It also seems likely such a lack of seasonal changes would have impacted on  the creatures and plants that inhabit the land, ie they would have evolved less quickly and therefore be less diverse. Yet, strangely, the land is filled with everything from bunnies to unfeasibly gnarly mobs, plus every manner of flower you can think of, not to mention four separate sentient species (not including humans who are obviously immigrants).

So what! (I hear the tl;dr brigade cry). It's only a game and who cares anyway? Yup, you guessed it. Me!

I'd like to have variable daylight hours depending on the time of year. I'd like that to reflect different seasons that not only related to the backstory, but had an effect of game play. Maybe some flowers would take longer to harv at certain times of the year; maybe others would be easier to collect by moonlight; maybe fruit and shrooms only grew for a few months each year. Ditto spawns. Beavers might migrate to a part of OL that hasn't yet been discovered, bunnies might hibernate, and various mobs might be more voracious at certain times of year, and less so at others. Drops from certain mobs might be less, more or be nil.

So whats the point (shout the tl brigade, now foaming at the mouth). Well, :

1) It would add a richness and variety to game-play which, whilst not significantly affecting basic gameplay, would vastly increase the richness at higher levels and the degree of skill/challenge offered to pro's

2) It provides a great basis for developing mythology, backstory and role-play.

3) Coding difficulty isn't huge, ie no complex graphics or substantive changes to existing subsystems and data structures.

However, this purpose of this thread isn't to advocate that we do all that now, simply that we do one simple thing to allow it to be  implemented in the future. That simple thing is to change the server code so as the day/night effect is triggered through a server message protocol.

This would be enough to allow those of us who enjoy fiddling with code to maybe experiment with the necessary client-side implementation.

#2 yarnball

yarnball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:53 AM

I love that idea :wub:
Other related things I'd enjoy includes
-snow events during the cold months (not necessary persistent on the ground, but an event akin to rain)
-having the amount of rain varies depending on months (moonsoon, and some dry-er months)
-having a "timezone" difference for daylight time should we get other continents... Tho that one might confuse players.

For that last point and your night duration one, i think a small ephemeride indication (dawn and dusk time) would be needed so newbies don't unexpectedly get attacked by gargoyles or burnt by solar flares

#3 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:16 AM

View Postyarnball, on 31 October 2012 - 06:53 AM, said:

I love that idea :wub:
Other related things I'd enjoy includes
-snow events during the cold months (not necessary persistent on the ground, but an event akin to rain)
-having the amount of rain varies depending on months (moonsoon, and some dry-er months)
-having a "timezone" difference for daylight time should we get other continents... Tho that one might confuse players.

For that last point and your night duration one, i think a small ephemeride indication (dawn and dusk time) would be needed so newbies don't unexpectedly get attacked by gargoyles or burnt by solar flares

If we would ever had a second continent with different time zones, it would be cool if it also had its own special days :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users