#21 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1197 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

ah right, misunderstood.

Hmm so i have a small map now :s (medium size out of defaults on the map maker, 128x128)

#22 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

yep you're screwed i guess :D

all the keys you need to rotate and tilt are  ctrl+arrow keys, ctrl+ page up/down  and ins/del

#23 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1197 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:52 AM

ctrl+PgUP or PgDn rotates?

buggerit. i tried everything else lol.

on side note, i still cant figure out the bloody walkable tiles, and have a strong suspicious ive screwed it up right at the root. :D

#24 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:52 AM

View Postbutler, on 24 February 2014 - 04:52 AM, said:

ctrl+PgUP or PgDn rotates?

buggerit. i tried everything else lol.

on side note, i still cant figure out the bloody walkable tiles, and have a strong suspicious ive screwed it up right at the root. :D

Its quite easy;

When creating a new map, press the heights icon (staircase) you will find out that the whole map is covered with normal walking height {Z position 0.00} you can see this bottom left when you select a tile.

the first thing you do, before you do anything, is select the Black tile {Z position- 2.20} and hold the shift key and click the left mouse button on screen, everything will turn black..which is non walk able terrain, then you just build your stuff.. and what you want to be walk able you put it with the 0.00 tiles

if you do it the other way around it is much easier to make a mistake and you will be able to walk through objects, because you forgot to make them non walk able

---

every colour stands for a height, if you press TAB you can actually see the different heights in the editor

Objects such as small crates, chairs and stairs are raised at 0.40  (use ins/del to toggle between the different heights)

protip: you can also disable the 2d/3d icons with right mouse click.. so you can check easier if you can place your height tiles

#25 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:08 AM

Posted Image

#26 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1197 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:37 AM

This guy ^^^ should be given a medal

I think ill be doing it the other way around. The awkward way around, since i have the basis of a small map which i adore already.
but now i'm going the be awkward again (very me that), and just ask does it work similiarly with tilted tiles? Just i made a crashed ship with broken flagstones and want to see about climbing on board, and entering the burning ship into a *PK* map. (im so very ambitious. hopefully i will sometime aquire skills to go with it)
but this is so helpful, and the diagram just helps so much. tyvm for the patience.
tysvm.

#27 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2120 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:17 PM

I had an idea ... please send me a copy of the make you're trying to work on ... I think I may have figured out a 'simple' way to change it's dimensions.

#28 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1197 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:54 PM

oh cool.

but again, im screwed!

I save the map, i can open the map from the map editor. the issue is, that when i go to the folder with all the other maps visible, their .elm / .dds/ etc., but i cant see my map :s

Search through all the directories yields the file, but as a shortcut. And windows says it cant follow it.

which is odd, since after i see
<snip>
seridia.bmp
seridia.dds
startmap.bmp
startmap.dds
startmap.elm
startmap_insides.bmp
startmap_insides.dds
startmap_insides.elm
testermap.elm
What i should see, according to the map editor is
<snip>
seridia.bmp
seridia.dds
startmap.bmp
startmap.dds
startmap.elm
startmap_insides.bmp
startmap_insides.dds
startmap_insides.elm
testermap.elm
TheFlyingCitadel.elm
or maybe
TheFlyingCitadel.elm.gz
as it sometimes appears.

Once i got that sorted, i shall send it to you (what would be best host to load it up to for you?)

And after we get that sorted i think ill make a map thread with some snaps of what i got so far so that we move of this thread for things specifically to do with what if screwed up on the map(such as size), and continue posting here for the errors in my map making skillz.

Also again ty scarr & Learner. Amazing suppourt. I salute your abilities and patience.

Also found out yesterday why you say its glitchy. broke on me in about 12 different ways. Reminds me of some alpha projects I've tried (and failed) at.

EDIT: Tbh i think people could write a very lengthy guide just using the answers to all my mistakes problems. Teamwork o/o.

Edited by butler, 24 February 2014 - 01:12 PM.

#29 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:58 PM

just upload the map here, ill check out if you do it right, otherwise you might be doing everything for nothing

#30 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1197 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:13 PM

yeah, im trying to find the map, but mapmaker and my folders are disagreeing whether that file even exists. which is a nuisance. I'll try again and sort out this.

EDIT: Whats happening is that Windows wants me to have admin permission to save it, and some reason i cant do that within mapmaker.
I can't save outside the C:Other-Lifemapsfolder without the mapmaker crashing.
Generally im having to manually give permission to windows to do things in that directory, otherwise it happens but i cant access it. So i have a savefile, but cant see, but can only interact with it via the MapEditor.
So i guess my next step is to tackle the issue by figuring out how to give windows automatic permissions temporarily for when im mapmaking and revert it when im not.

FFS. I need to get OL/Map maker working on linux (but im hopeless at chmod)

EDIT #2: OK got file sorted out. Last issue is i have no idea how to attach files/upload files to the forum.

Edited by butler, 24 February 2014 - 04:34 PM.

#31 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:24 AM

use http://www.wikisend.com and post the url here

#32 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1197 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:09 PM

Heres the map file: theflyingcitadel.elm.gz

#33 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2120 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

According to the data I see in the header of that map and using the server's map info tool, it is defined to be the same size as PL already (64x64 , 384x384 steps)

#34 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

Ouch, all those 3d tiles you placed are wrong, they can't overlap each other, notice when you zoom in and tilt the camera, you see them flash?

you should overlap them with different heights. e.g   1.01  / 1.00 / 1.01 / 1.00 / etc
OR make sure they don't overlap, and just cover the gaps with some 2d textures

perhaps open my map in the editor, and see how i done it

Also, i don't think you can build larger than 4.00 if you want the terrain to be walk able, because the highest you can place is the Brown tile, which is 4.00
but map looks pretty cool overall

#35 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1197 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:45 PM

ty scarr. I realised the 4.00 issue AFTER i had done it xD

I think ill use that as a learning experience, and rebuild that world, in the pl dimensions.
Learning experiences.
Once i got roughly what i had there i will make a thread for it.

Also Learner, i dont understand, the map i uploaded was the standard medium size ( 128x128 according to the editor ) i dont quite understand how its taken to be the same as PL which your saying is 64x64(?)

#36 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2120 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

Keep in mind, when I said 64x64, I'm reporting the data in the file and comparing to P. There are oddities all over the place where things are represented differently in the map editor and client differently then how they are coded. I suspect there is a x2 factor in there someplace, as well as the x6 to convert to steps.

#37 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:52 PM

my map is 64x64 and should be PL sized

this is according to the editor

#38 Makiltur

Makiltur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 05:30 AM

Protip for anyone using Windows 8 or 8.1: If you plan on using Mapeditor, install OL and it anywhere other than in the default directory (Program Files) or Windows will hold your maps hostage and not let you move/save/send them to anyone! There are ways to get around this by doing sneaky things within map editor or 'hacking' your own frigging computer, but in the long run it is infinitely simpler to just install elsewhere - Like on another partition, or directly at c:Other-Life

I've also found that when copying the extracted map editor files, things work better when you DON'T overwrite the existing OL files.

This message brought to you by at least an hour of headache this morning.

#39 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:31 AM

I like your ProTip, listen to maki!

#40 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1197 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:02 AM

Windows is a security nightmare with the map maker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users