• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2448 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:34 AM

I've started combining and enhancing a lot of the AI logic we have now into a single generic Monster AI which is tunable from the monster configuration, instead of coded into each type of monster.

What I have currently going in is:
  • Tunable chance to Wander
  • Type of Wandering (random, cautious, etc)
  • Chance to sleep/wake monster
  • Type of Aggro used (including attacking Invasions or Mobs)
  • Whether they ignore MM or not
  • Aggro distance
  • Aggro level with #roll definition (so the might ignore you sometimes when your close to cut off)
  • Wariness (chance they will just scamper off instead of going Aggro)
  • 0 or more special attacks with a tunable chance
  • 0 or more 'perks', including Unattackable (like the Unicorn)
The special attacks so far are defined as:
  • Mana Drain
  • Health Drain
  • Mana Burn
  • Harm
  • Paralysis
  • Cooldown
  • Poison
  • Smite Summons
More will be added on. By implementing it this way, we will be able to start having a wider variety of monster/animal personalities without having the keep changing the code in the server. Most of the AI tuning will be configurable in the monster definitions files. We can also define a monster based on another one  with modifications for variety within the monster family as well.

Things planned to be added for the future include:
  • More specials
  • Item drops (including rares)
  • More personality options
  • Flocking movement option

#2 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

woww..would be really nice , you just surprised me a lot

#3 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

Yup, those sound fine enhancements Learner. Well done.

Some questions ...

1) Is the distance at which a char is detected the same for all mobs, or different depending on factors such as the kind of mob and the environment ?

2) How does ai work for pursuit, ie will all mobs pursue a char for the same distance, or are some more tenacious than others ?

3) What organisation is there between mobs relative to the nature and location of the threat ?

4) Does flocking of certain types of mob carry any special feature, ie do some organise better than others ?

5) Does the ai learn or remember features of particular chars ?

Joining in invasions is pretty much a new experience for me as it's something that wasn't really practical in EL. Just one of many reasons why I enjoy OL far more.

#4 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2448 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

That Aggro distance for a mob to act is already tunable per mob type, but I'll go ahead and add that to the list since it does affect their character and that way it's documented all in the same place.

#5 Jenfy

Jenfy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

Excellent enhancement.  Adding those sorts of easy-change interfaces could be very powerful for other parts of game as well.

#6 Bat17

Bat17

• PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:38 AM

I think that making Wariness tuneable to persons A/D could be a good way of adding a soft cap to invasion, If normal mobs ignore you, invasion mobs could run away! and maybe have bosses ignore ppl below a certain lvl so they can concentrate on lesser invasion mobs.

#7 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2448 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:09 AM

Keep in mind that the Invasions gain extreme aggression, which has the effect of overriding a lot of their normal wariness. I'm still thinking on the best ways to change & enhance the attitudes of invasion mobs to make them more fun for all without making them too easy to kill. One thing that I am thinking about is having additional logic kick in on multi-combat maps since swarm logic can be useful there.

#8 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2448 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

Both the new generic AI and the New Drop System that has been getting tested on Test is close to being able to be activated on Main.

Most people will not notice the generic AI going in at this time, but as we start working with Spawn & Mob balancing and progressing it will be a big help since we can easily tune the mobs & drops while also being able to create new versions of the same monsters with different stats without having to update the server code. For example, to test that portion of it, I created a new garg (Fluffy Garoyle) with Ogre type stats and drops from both Gargoyles and Ogres and placed it in VC on Test without having to change any code in the server, only updating the files the server can read & reread as needed.

Look for an update coming soon that will activate both the mob enhancement and all of their new drops as well. Keep in minf that the drops will still be conservative, but it'll be much easier to tune them moving forward.

#9 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2448 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:59 AM

As of late on 5/21/2013 the Generic AI and New Drop System went live, including the Fluffy Gargoyle that was defined only using the new system.

In the future, the generic AI will be getting enhanced with new logic & features, changes will be going into the mobs (specials and variable stats) and special version of mobs may be added.

Be thinking about all this for when we start tuning the Mobs & Spawns. Since we should be using the generic AI from this point forward, that means it'll be a lot easier to improve the mobs & their logic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users