•  

Name Changes?

namechanges character name change

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
59 replies to this topic

Poll: Name Change Poll (71 member(s) have cast votes)

Do we want to allow name changes in OL?

1. Yes! (29 votes [40.85%])

Percentage of vote: 40.85%

2. Yes, but only a limitted number of times (19 votes [26.76%])

Percentage of vote: 26.76%

3. Sometimes, 'low level' chars only (3 votes [4.23%])

Percentage of vote: 4.23%

4. I don't know (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. No, except in very rare approved cases (the current rule) (20 votes [28.17%])

Percentage of vote: 28.17%

How often can one character name changes?

1. Only by community approval (13 votes [18.31%])

Percentage of vote: 18.31%

2. Once every 6 RL months (23 votes [32.39%])

Percentage of vote: 32.39%

3. Once every 3 RL months (10 votes [14.08%])

Percentage of vote: 14.08%

4. Once every 2 RL months (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Once an RL month (4 votes [5.63%])

Percentage of vote: 5.63%

6. Once an RL week (1 votes [1.41%])

Percentage of vote: 1.41%

7. As often as they can pay (17 votes [23.94%])

Percentage of vote: 23.94%

8. I don't know (3 votes [4.23%])

Percentage of vote: 4.23%

How much should a name change cost?

1. More then 50 Plats (12 votes [16.90%])

Percentage of vote: 16.90%

2. 50 Plats (7 votes [9.86%])

Percentage of vote: 9.86%

3. 40 Plats (0 votes [0.00%])

4. 30 Plats (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 25 Plats (6 votes [8.45%])

Percentage of vote: 8.45%

6. 20 Plats (4 votes [5.63%])

7. 15 Plats (4 votes [5.63%])

8. 10 Plats (4 votes [5.63%])

9. 5 Plats (34 votes [47.89%])

Percentage of vote: 47.89%

What additional actions should be taken (choose all that apply)

1. Web access to see recent name changes (37 votes [21.39%])

Percentage of vote: 21.39%

2. Web access to see previous name(s) for a specific character (41 votes [23.70%])

Percentage of vote: 23.70%

3. Be able to find out in game what a character previous name for a specific logged in character (32 votes [18.50%])

Percentage of vote: 18.50%

4. Be able to find out in game previous name(s) for a specific character that's logged in (28 votes [16.18%])

Percentage of vote: 16.18%

5. Require attaching the character to forums accounts (22 votes [12.72%])

Percentage of vote: 12.72%

6. No additional restrictions (13 votes [7.51%])

Percentage of vote: 7.51%

Vote

#1 Mufasa

Mufasa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

I think its appropriate to have the ability to change your name for a certain cost. Especially for a fantasy game with the name "other-life". I feel it should be allowed, but with rules behind it.
I have talked to Learner a little bit about this, and he said it would have to be a community vote.

So what do you say guys? Do we want to allow name changes for a price? If so, for how much? In addition with the name change price, should we make them pay for a poll and have the community vote? Will they have to list their characters name and all alts? Should it be for "Premium Members" only? Should there be a price difference between p2p and f2p?

NOTE: (from Learner)
Name changes can have negative side-effects on the game, but also can add game support. Troublemakers, scammers, and char buyers have been known to over use them making it hard to know who you are talking or playing with. PLEASE think very carefully before voting on this!

Edited by Learner, 11 March 2013 - 08:39 AM.
Added poll & Note

#2 PandemiC

PandemiC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

20$ for Name change (all races) given that;
  • You are willing to have an announcement created so people know what your new name is, to avoid scammers namechanging to hide.
  • Premium members get a discount of 5$ on Name Changes.
  • You can only name change once every 3 months (IRL 3 Months, 90 days).

My 2 pence. :P

#3 Nightmare

Nightmare

• PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

I like no name change.  Would vote no.  Pick name, live with game played by you.  No hide.

#4 Mufasa

Mufasa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

View PostNightmare, on 28 February 2013 - 10:19 AM, said:

I like no name change.  Would vote no.  Pick name, live with game played by you.  No hide.

"You are willing to have an announcement created so people know what your new name is, to avoid scammers namechanging to hide.
"Will they have to list their characters name and all alts?"

There would be NO hiding.

#5 Hades

Hades

• PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

Yeah, I support name changes, no need for announcement IMO. What if someone wants to hide ? Is that such a tragedy? :/

And Pandemic, if it was 5 dollars for a premium member to get a name change, and 20 for a non-premium member, then I'd just pay the 3 bucks for a premium, then get the 5 dollar name change - total 8 dollars.

People have gotten name changes in EL as well, no major problems seen there regarding this. Don't understand why all people have to be out in the open, so the community can punish pkers/scammers/etc. more? lol. Maybe a scammer/outlaw wants to start a clean slate, they have to make a new character for that? Or maybe some people like hiding from others for a while, then make their return.

#6 Mufasa

Mufasa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

View PostHades, on 28 February 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

Yeah, I support name changes, no need for announcement IMO. What if someone wants to hide ? Is that such a tragedy? :/

And Pandemic, if it was 5 dollars for a premium member to get a name change, and 20 for a non-premium member, then I'd just pay the 3 bucks for a premium, then get the 5 dollar name change - total 8 dollars.

People have gotten name changes in EL as well, no major problems seen there regarding this. Don't understand why all people have to be out in the open, so the community can punish pkers/scammers/etc. more? lol. Maybe a scammer/outlaw wants to start a clean slate, they have to make a new character for that? Or maybe some people like hiding from others for a while, then make their return.

The point of the name change is for people who get tired of their current name and find a better one to use.  We dont want to create a work around for scammers to stay anonymous., hence all the rules and regulations. We want to keep this game fun and enjoyable for the players that deserve to have that. Not make it easier for the inconsiderate handful out there in EL, who will find their way into OL.

#7 Nova

Nova

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

Do we have to accept the scammers here?  Couldn't we have a vote on making scamming a bannable, or otherwise punishable offence?

I like the idea of limited numbers of name changes, same price for all players, some sort of announcement or maybe a 'can i change my name' poll or maybe a pinned list of namechanged people.

Letting people who scam or otherwise act 'badly' simply namechange to get a fresh name to scam under some more is bad gameplay imo.  If you choose that kind of playstyle the stigma of being labled untrustable should go with it.

#8 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

No.

make new char? there is soft cap anyways, you can catch up:>

#9 Mufasa

Mufasa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

View PostNova, on 28 February 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

Do we have to accept the scammers here?  Couldn't we have a vote on making scamming a bannable, or otherwise punishable offence?

I like the idea of limited numbers of name changes, same price for all players, some sort of announcement or maybe a 'can i change my name' poll or maybe a pinned list of namechanged people.

Letting people who scam or otherwise act 'badly' simply namechange to get a fresh name to scam under some more is bad gameplay imo.  If you choose that kind of playstyle the stigma of being labled untrustable should go with it.

Agreed. Bottom line, scamming should not be tolerated in OL.
But back to the matter at hand, should name changes be allowed for those of OL that play according to the rules? What limitations if any should be set? List your ideas.

View Postscarr, on 28 February 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

No.

make new char? there is soft cap anyways, you can catch up:>

And what about those who have bought p2p and already have high skill levels? They shouldnt be forced to make a new character just for a new name. Its not fair to the devoted players out there.

#10 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

So think long and hard about the name you will create?

#11 Mufasa

Mufasa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

View Postscarr, on 28 February 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

So think long and hard about the name you will create?

Or we could allow name changing. It would benefit the game and also please the players that have grown tired of their current name.

#12 Hades

Hades

• PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

Of course name changes should be allowed. Scarr's logic is ridiculous. What if someone worked on that character for 2 years, should they just 'make new if want new name' ? lol

Should be available at wsc NPC, no announcement needed - useless imo. Maybe a forum topic with list of name changes if you really want.
-also, it'll bring income to the game

#13 PandemiC

PandemiC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

Get a discount of 5$, or are you incapable of reading? E.G - It will cost premium members 15$.

2. Premium members get a discount of 5$ on Name Changes.

#14 Hades

Hades

• PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

View PostPandemiC, on 28 February 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

Get a discount of 5$, or are you incapable of reading? E.G - It will cost premium members 15$.

still, would be cheaper to get premium - 3 bucks + 15 doillar name change - 18 total, than getting a 20 dollar regular person name change, lel

#15 Bat17

Bat17

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

I mostly agree with Panda on this one.

New players do not "Think long and hard" when picking name. when i joined EL I used the name I use for everything else and took all default options in character appearance. I probably checked out several games at same time, the others I never went back too. why waste time setting up a game you might only visit once?

I would allow the name change after 1 month then a 3 month delay.

There should be a dedicated forum page that just lists the changes ( and date?)
Smiffxx became Golden Warrior (28th Feb 2013)

Names given up should not become reusable by someone else!

#16 Blackbeard

Blackbeard

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

You have a character page for your character (that you could access from online players etc.), and on this page you have a list of past names, innit

#17 Mufasa

Mufasa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

View PostBat17, on 28 February 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

Names given up should not become reusable by someone else!

Disagree. Once you change your name, you give up your old one, making it available for whoever wants to use it. Even though it could get confusing for players thinking that its someone else they know, the names should be made available for new players joining OL.

View PostBlackbeard, on 28 February 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

You have a character page for your character (that you could access from online players etc.), and on this page you have a list of past names, innit

Not a bad idea actually. Either this or a dedicated spot in the forum, like Bat17 said.

#18 PandemiC

PandemiC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

View PostHades, on 28 February 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

View PostPandemiC, on 28 February 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

still, would be cheaper to get premium - 3 bucks + 15 doillar name change - 18 total, than getting a 20 dollar regular person name change, lel

That's the idea.

#19 groomsh

groomsh

• PipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

I would vote yes, but with these restrictions:

1. Each char would have 2 name changes available - would have to stick with the 3rd name forever.
2. It would be possible to see all character names (for example by eye-icon clicking a player or as part of the #on command).
3. At least 30 RL days between name changes.

First name change "might" be free ...

#20 Juravski

Juravski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationTransylvania

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:09 AM

View Postgroomsh, on 28 February 2013 - 02:52 PM, said:

I would vote yes, but with these restrictions:

1. Each char would have 2 name changes available - would have to stick with the 3rd name forever.
2. It would be possible to see all character names (for example by eye-icon clicking a player or as part of the #on command).
3. At least 30 RL days between name changes.

First name change "might" be free ...

I am against the idea of name changes due to scammers. Sure you could say that there are none atm but we should think about it in the long run.

I would agree with name changes if there was an in-game command that would allow me to see a person's previous name. I don't like the idea of visiting forums or a page to see if a person did a name change. I like what grooms is suggesting, except the part about being free the first time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: namechanges, character, name, change

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users