•  

Name Changes?

namechanges character name change

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
59 replies to this topic

Poll: Name Change Poll (71 member(s) have cast votes)

Do we want to allow name changes in OL?

1. Yes! (29 votes [40.85%])

Percentage of vote: 40.85%

2. Yes, but only a limitted number of times (19 votes [26.76%])

Percentage of vote: 26.76%

3. Sometimes, 'low level' chars only (3 votes [4.23%])

Percentage of vote: 4.23%

4. I don't know (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. No, except in very rare approved cases (the current rule) (20 votes [28.17%])

Percentage of vote: 28.17%

How often can one character name changes?

1. Only by community approval (13 votes [18.31%])

Percentage of vote: 18.31%

2. Once every 6 RL months (23 votes [32.39%])

Percentage of vote: 32.39%

3. Once every 3 RL months (10 votes [14.08%])

Percentage of vote: 14.08%

4. Once every 2 RL months (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Once an RL month (4 votes [5.63%])

Percentage of vote: 5.63%

6. Once an RL week (1 votes [1.41%])

Percentage of vote: 1.41%

7. As often as they can pay (17 votes [23.94%])

Percentage of vote: 23.94%

8. I don't know (3 votes [4.23%])

Percentage of vote: 4.23%

How much should a name change cost?

1. More then 50 Plats (12 votes [16.90%])

Percentage of vote: 16.90%

2. 50 Plats (7 votes [9.86%])

Percentage of vote: 9.86%

3. 40 Plats (0 votes [0.00%])

4. 30 Plats (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 25 Plats (6 votes [8.45%])

Percentage of vote: 8.45%

6. 20 Plats (4 votes [5.63%])

7. 15 Plats (4 votes [5.63%])

8. 10 Plats (4 votes [5.63%])

9. 5 Plats (34 votes [47.89%])

Percentage of vote: 47.89%

What additional actions should be taken (choose all that apply)

1. Web access to see recent name changes (37 votes [21.39%])

Percentage of vote: 21.39%

2. Web access to see previous name(s) for a specific character (41 votes [23.70%])

Percentage of vote: 23.70%

3. Be able to find out in game what a character previous name for a specific logged in character (32 votes [18.50%])

Percentage of vote: 18.50%

4. Be able to find out in game previous name(s) for a specific character that's logged in (28 votes [16.18%])

Percentage of vote: 16.18%

5. Require attaching the character to forums accounts (22 votes [12.72%])

Percentage of vote: 12.72%

6. No additional restrictions (13 votes [7.51%])

Percentage of vote: 7.51%

Vote

#21 Aislinn

Aislinn

• PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

I don't like name changes.  People like to know who they are conversing or dealing with.  That is how a community is built.

That said, a lot of people do pick rather thoughtless names first go-around.  So maybe allow them up to 20 o/a or something of the sort.  A time limit such as a month doesn't allow for people to leave and come back on a second thought, which many do.

If namechanges are allowed, in no way should the old name be "reserved". If you like the name so much you don't want anybody else to have it, you should have kept it in the first place.

#22 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:56 AM

View PostAislinn, on 03 March 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

I don't like name changes.  People like to know who they are conversing or dealing with.  That is how a community is built.

That said, a lot of people do pick rather thoughtless names first go-around.  So maybe allow them up to 20 o/a or something of the sort.  A time limit such as a month doesn't allow for people to leave and come back on a second thought, which many do.

If namechanges are allowed, in no way should the old name be "reserved". If you like the name so much you don't want anybody else to have it, you should have kept it in the first place.
Yeah, but what is to stop people creating an alt with that name, just so others can't pick it..

#23 Aislinn

Aislinn

• PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

View Postscarr, on 03 March 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

View PostAislinn, on 03 March 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

Yeah, but what is to stop people creating an alt with that name, just so others can't pick it..
Then it gets purged if it doesn't get leveled.  Especially if it's a common name/word.

#24 Mufasa

Mufasa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:13 PM

I think Aislinn has a solid idea. A time limit of lvl 20 oa seems like a good amount of time to think of a name. Or maybe have it included with your first soft reset?

#25 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:18 AM

Yeah i love name change idea haha
pls pls as fast as possible,good interes on that haha

#26 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2717 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

Poll has been paid for, just need to get my act together and build the poll now. While I'm doing that posts here will be looked at to help determine the exact Poll questions & options.

#27 Bat17

Bat17

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

The Idea of blocking name after use was to help avoid scammers reusing someone elses name

#28 Hades

Hades

• PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:46 AM

Voted
  • YES
  • Once every 3 months
  • 10 plats
  • Web access to see previous name(s) for a specific character

#29 Fantastika

Fantastika

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationLietuva

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

View PostNightmare, on 28 February 2013 - 10:19 AM, said:

I like no name change.  Would vote no.  Pick name, live with game played by you.  No hide.

Agree, my vote is NO, with no exceptions :)

#30 PandemiC

PandemiC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

View PostFantastika, on 11 March 2013 - 08:49 AM, said:

I like no name change.  Would vote no.  Pick name, live with game played by you.  No hide.

Agree, my vote is NO, with no exceptions :)

Same again.

#31 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

voted NO, if it was to pass >50 plats and every 6months with being able to tell who is who ingame =)

#32 Aislinn

Aislinn

• PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

Well given I don't see the option I liked for "how often", I voted:
No
I don't know (I don't like any of the other options)
More than 50 plats
Everything except the last one

Ehh to clarify, I would have chosen to allow it once only, up to around 20 o/a to allow for the people who made dorky names just to test the game out, and would have put that at the cheapest possible option.

#33 Jade

Jade

• PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

Just because someone changes their name, does not mean they are hiding, or even a scammer. Tbh i'm quiet bored with my name. And with the added posts of name changes/previous names.. i dont see the problem. Although i voted every 6 months because i dont think it should be done so often.

View PostNova, on 28 February 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

Do we have to accept the scammers here?  Couldn't we have a vote on making scamming a bannable, or otherwise punishable offence?

I like the idea of limited numbers of name changes, same price for all players, some sort of announcement or maybe a 'can i change my name' poll or maybe a pinned list of namechanged people.

Letting people who scam or otherwise act 'badly' simply namechange to get a fresh name to scam under some more is bad gameplay imo.  If you choose that kind of playstyle the stigma of being labled untrustable should go with it.
First, the scammers being accepted. Ofc we dont want scammers here and if someone does scam, WE vote to ban them. But at the same time, i feel ppl should get a fresh start here without being labled a scammer until they actually do it. Remember, a lot of them were young kids. And misbehaving here, you have a better chance of being voted off the island.

As far as the hiding by getting name changes, That has already been addressed in so many replies.. if you get a name change.. the community will know it.

#34 Mufasa

Mufasa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

View PostJade, on 11 March 2013 - 09:24 AM, said:

As far as the hiding by getting name changes, That has already been addressed in so many replies.. if you get a name change.. the community will know it.

Just so you guys get the idea.

#35 Meneldor

Meneldor

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

"Getting bored of current name", this can't even be commented... Do you in RL change name every few months? When you create acc than try to think about name... Would only support if it would cost 100$ so it's good support for the game.

#36 Nova

Nova

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

By all means, let's rely on something as unreliable as gossip for.....anything.

#37 Mufasa

Mufasa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

View PostMeneldor, on 11 March 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

"Getting bored of current name", this can't even be commented... Do you in RL change name every few months? When you create acc than try to think about name... Would only support if it would cost 100$ so it's good support for the game.

This is an online fantasy game. Not "real life". ;)

View PostNova, on 11 March 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

By all means, let's rely on something as unreliable as gossip for.....anything.

I don't understand what you're trying to say.

#38 Traveller

Traveller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:31 AM

I voted for yes, but limited times. Some people start in boredom a new game, with some 'just what comes in mind' name.  I can imagine when they start to like the game they want another name, they usualy use, or whatever reason you have. I think it would only be available once in a OL-lifetime though, otherwise people use namechanges to 'hide' themself behind a new name. I think must of us play the game just because we want to play the game, and not to have a 'who is who' game into the game.

#39 GypsyNomad

GypsyNomad

• PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

I agree live with it or del. your char and start over

#40 Juravski

Juravski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationTransylvania

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

I voted NO.

Off-topic: Can ALTS vote for a poll? If they can, polls can be easily influenced.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: namechanges, character, name, change

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users