•  

Name Changes?

namechanges character name change

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
59 replies to this topic

Poll: Name Change Poll (71 member(s) have cast votes)

Do we want to allow name changes in OL?

1. Yes! (29 votes [40.85%])

Percentage of vote: 40.85%

2. Yes, but only a limitted number of times (19 votes [26.76%])

Percentage of vote: 26.76%

3. Sometimes, 'low level' chars only (3 votes [4.23%])

Percentage of vote: 4.23%

4. I don't know (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. No, except in very rare approved cases (the current rule) (20 votes [28.17%])

Percentage of vote: 28.17%

How often can one character name changes?

1. Only by community approval (13 votes [18.31%])

Percentage of vote: 18.31%

2. Once every 6 RL months (23 votes [32.39%])

Percentage of vote: 32.39%

3. Once every 3 RL months (10 votes [14.08%])

Percentage of vote: 14.08%

4. Once every 2 RL months (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Once an RL month (4 votes [5.63%])

Percentage of vote: 5.63%

6. Once an RL week (1 votes [1.41%])

Percentage of vote: 1.41%

7. As often as they can pay (17 votes [23.94%])

Percentage of vote: 23.94%

8. I don't know (3 votes [4.23%])

Percentage of vote: 4.23%

How much should a name change cost?

1. More then 50 Plats (12 votes [16.90%])

Percentage of vote: 16.90%

2. 50 Plats (7 votes [9.86%])

Percentage of vote: 9.86%

3. 40 Plats (0 votes [0.00%])

4. 30 Plats (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 25 Plats (6 votes [8.45%])

Percentage of vote: 8.45%

6. 20 Plats (4 votes [5.63%])

7. 15 Plats (4 votes [5.63%])

8. 10 Plats (4 votes [5.63%])

9. 5 Plats (34 votes [47.89%])

Percentage of vote: 47.89%

What additional actions should be taken (choose all that apply)

1. Web access to see recent name changes (37 votes [21.39%])

Percentage of vote: 21.39%

2. Web access to see previous name(s) for a specific character (41 votes [23.70%])

Percentage of vote: 23.70%

3. Be able to find out in game what a character previous name for a specific logged in character (32 votes [18.50%])

Percentage of vote: 18.50%

4. Be able to find out in game previous name(s) for a specific character that's logged in (28 votes [16.18%])

Percentage of vote: 16.18%

5. Require attaching the character to forums accounts (22 votes [12.72%])

Percentage of vote: 12.72%

6. No additional restrictions (13 votes [7.51%])

Percentage of vote: 7.51%

Vote

#41 Hades

Hades

• PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:01 AM

bring these on server already ffs, more people voted for name changes(counting the two options together since they're both YES). Why even argue this simple change, cmon i wanna name change to MrOlympia2k13 already

#42 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:14 AM

I shall be known as XArigornX

#43 Aislinn

Aislinn

• PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:16 AM

View PostHades, on 30 March 2013 - 06:01 AM, said:

bring these on server already ffs, more people voted for name changes(counting the two options together since they're both YES). Why even argue this simple change, cmon i wanna name change to MrOlympia2k13 already
And if this isn't a good argument to vote against, I don't know what is.  Yeesh. :P

#44 NeXt

NeXt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:09 PM

i voted yes, timelimit like 3/6 months per change, 25 plat.

i vote no for actions, Why?
1, some peeps like to change there nick so none knows him any more on OL and start pking maby his old guild
2, peeps dont know your new nick so there maby not running away in pking maps or start attacking you becourse there are thinking your a newbie.
3, to start a new ident in the game

#45 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:31 PM

39vs19 votes,its time to bring it.lets go ppl

I will change to Teacher

#46 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:00 AM

View PostNeXt, on 23 March 2014 - 06:09 PM, said:

i voted yes, timelimit like 3/6 months per change, 25 plat.

i vote no for actions, Why?
1, some peeps like to change there nick so none knows him any more on OL and start pking maby his old guild
2, peeps dont know your new nick so there maby not running away in pking maps or start attacking you becourse there are thinking your a newbie.
3, to start a new ident in the game
I don't understand why people are dragging up old polls, with an opinion that's not new, and is in line with what's all ready an obvious success in one area. Saying yes, i agree with majority can simply expressed by voting how you want, and +1 repping whatever person is along your line of thinking. No need to pointless drag a thread up which results you haven't dramatically changed, and which no new viewpoint is expressed.

View PostFire, on 31 March 2014 - 11:31 PM, said:

39vs19 votes,its time to bring it.lets go ppl

I will change to Teacher
That vote has been like that for ages, and I've got the impression from other threads, that L is going to implement it, but that it is done the priority list, when he has to add it to the NPC to do so, add any of the additional features people wish and set a cd. Think about the number of other big changes we're waiting for and see how this is probably not a priority for people at the moment, and so will probably wait.

And any pay L, he changes your name malarkey will slow down any development he's doing, taking up some time that he could be spending setting up the invasions you enjoy so much as well.

#47 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2732 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:04 AM

I have also pointed that to determine if the poll is decisive, the two yes's can't be added together. Plus, with what else people are wanting like name change history etc, that puts it lower priority then other critical items since work will need to be done it order to implement things like that. Magic will have to be finished before anything like that can even be looked at.

On the other hand, the difference between tht etop yes & the no has increased some since we were last discussing this.

#48 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:34 PM

View PostLearner, on 01 April 2014 - 11:04 AM, said:

I have also pointed that to determine if the poll is decisive, the two yes's can't be added together. Plus, with what else people are wanting like name change history etc, that puts it lower priority then other critical items since work will need to be done it order to implement things like that. Magic will have to be finished before anything like that can even be looked at.

On the other hand, the difference between tht etop yes & the no has increased some since we were last discussing this.
Ok good clarification
Just remembered there's the sub 20 level name change idea that so broken you could hardly tell it was ever one thing. Newbies easily bypass 20, so i suggest sub 50 if you voted for a level cap on name changes. Your fooling yourself if you think newbies stay under 20 for very long, or at least long enough to decide to stay.

#49 Mufasa

Mufasa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:57 PM

Lets just add the name change and worry about the necessities later. B)

#50 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2732 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:06 PM

Considering how involved I was with name changes in EL, that is NOT a road we're going down. Built in record keeping will be required whether or not that is made public to players. Otherwise history of abuses gets to be a real pain both in-game and in forums.

#51 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:40 AM

However,L you should maybe think that bringing name change possibility will allow you to gain some constant profit,look how many ppl want it

#52 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2732 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:51 AM

View PostFire, on 02 April 2014 - 03:40 AM, said:

However,L you should maybe think that bringing name change possibility will allow you to gain some constant profit,look how many ppl want it
I am more concerned about the effects in game & in running it then profit for this sort of decision.

#53 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:12 AM

Thats cool so,but if ppl are able to see your name changing history,There is no consequence in introducing it I think.. only profit

#54 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

Fire, the issue is in keeping/maintaining a record of EVERYBODY's name change history, and the amount of time it takes up of the admins time.

View PostLearner, on 02 April 2014 - 05:51 AM, said:

View PostFire, on 02 April 2014 - 03:40 AM, said:

I am more concerned about the effects in game & in running it then profit for this sort of decision.
Wise words indeed :D. Profit is good. However, if profit is prioritised over administrating decisions (that effect the game an running), then you set up problems. Anything like this is simple to look at, but to reduce time (money) and increasing running speeds (money), you need to find a far more efficient and less head aching system than ELs middleman does it all, which just wastes time on a human front, and reduces the value of any profit received through knock on effects.

View PostMufasa, on 01 April 2014 - 03:57 PM, said:

Lets just add the name change and worry about the necessities later. B)
I'm in favour of name changes (though through all my games i've only ever used it once, because i was fed up of seeing "JoeButler" "butler" "buttles" etc above my char). However, you ALWAYS need to worry about necessities at the time, which is kind of self explanatory, they are necessary. If we add this in a half done state, it just wastes more of Learners time, and slow development more because it's something else to deal with, even at its most basic.

#55 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:26 PM

Dont think bringing name changes will take a year,and If we add it more players can stay ingame and L will gain dolars

#56 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:03 PM

View PostFire, on 02 April 2014 - 11:26 PM, said:

Dont think bringing name changes will take a year,and If we add it more players can stay ingame and L will gain dolars
I'm not sure how that will keep people ingame, really. Dollars will be fairly low, and counterproductive if it's derived from spending time on changing peoples names instead of programming a base for the game where he can actually derive running costs + some profit from. Never said it would take a year, but that you should probabably appreciate it will take longer than us non programmers would probably expect. The more things we say that should cut the line in front of Magic will delay in indefinitely, and if enough are done like so, WILL delay the magic by an additional year.

#57 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

On the face of it, name change might seem like a small thing to implement. However, if the server uses the char name as the primary means to track char data, (as I believe it does), it might end up being significantly more complex. If such data is also held in flat files that only support sequential read/write (as I also believe is the case), it also makes it difficult to store variable length lists (as would be needed to hold a char name history).

I guess the solution is to replace all such files with a relational database as, this may also offer solutions to the other problems that can arise from storing complex data in flat files. That is at least the route taken on the UnoffLandz project which, utilises a library called sqlite  as its main data store.

#58 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1195 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 16 September 2015 - 09:53 PM

pls
Ok seriously. I don't understand the problem tbh.
Name change = more profit = more money to you = more stuff to enhance OL? I don't understand why you don't want this? Is this not Other-Life, the community-based game?

I understand that your stressing over pushing magic through and character data and whatever not but after you've pushed out the magic update god help me if I have to wait another six months can you please look into doing this? You can not ignore the substantial amount of support for this feature.
My solution (though probably stuff I'm already overlooking) is to just check who has changed their name via looking at IP address's, check if name has changed, make a new thread for the time being and post any characters that have changed their names, what their old one used to be and now their new one. Can make a table or graph or whatever later on but in the meantime, after magic is released, this is what the people want!

EDIT: More info lol

#59 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2732 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 05:06 AM

A big issue is that people want to be able to see histories of name changes etc, which means I'll have to build a system for tracking & reporting, that lowers the priority since right now I don't have a lot of time. Logging it on the forums would still suck.

Plus, keep in mind that name changes do help scammers and char sellers as well, not just OL.

#60 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1195 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:48 PM

fair enough, thanks for the reply

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: namechanges, character, name, change

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users