• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 iowa

iowa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

Tonight, after logging in, again I fell right into people a g a i n arguing on channel 1. Of course I dont know how long that was going on or who started it, it just had to stop now.
I pmed some people, but the answers I got were : he/she started it, so now it is payback. he/she said this to me so of course I will answer.

It doesnt matter who started it, it is your choice to keep the fire going or to be silent.Grow up. Or at least have the courtesy to stop talking on channel 1 when you cannot control yourself.

Here is an example of sentences that were said by 4 different people.

When you lot act like a bunch of cunts

you dont know shit

contest:whore of year

it must be that time of the month for

Since the community cannot give those toddlers a time-out or move them to a far-away channel, I don't see how we can keep new people. I'm sure that the new people that come and enjoy this are NOT the people we need.

Evidently some people in the community  don't have the self discipline needed for channel 1 or the courtesy of going elsewhere, so I ask:

can we please think of a solution.

#2 St_ArcaNe

St_ArcaNe

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

Damn... so many hateful remarks, petty insults, breaking down of people's personal character and pointless profanity being flung around at random...  and I missed it :(

lol that reminds me, it's probably time for another 'Asshole of the Month Award' on EL unoff

#3 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

View PostSt_ArcaNe, on 03 April 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

Damn... so many hateful remarks, petty insults, breaking down of people's personal character and pointless profanity being flung around at random...  and I missed it :(

lol that reminds me, it's probably time for another 'Asshole of the Month Award' on EL unoff
do it

#4 Tessers

Tessers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

I totally agree with you Iowa. I am sick to death of the drama, immaturity and insults in ch1. I do wonder how many potential good players have been run off because of it. It seems several people are out to help the game fail instead of succeed. They complain when changes that benefit them are not made fast enough but don't bother to change the few things they can control... such as how they present themselves and therefore the game in general chat.

#5 Jade

Jade

• PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

It all goes back to who initiated the insults, flames, name calling, and general douche attitude. The pm's received were no better. Ofc I will stand up to ppl being rude and obnoxious and what i said in no way was bad. Yet you, Iowa, take it upon yourself to pm me talking down to me as though i were a child. Yes the convo should have moved to @6 and it did. You want to do something about it? Then stop the idiot that starts it every time he logs on.

#6 Marc

Marc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

I agree with iowa, those pathetic "arguments" need to stay out of channel 1, or actually, all "official" channels should stay clean of them.
Oh and please don't tell me or anyone objecting against the flaming and trolling not to be too serious. It's not my sense of humor that's under discussion here, but the "sense of humor" of the ones who enjoy the flaming and trolling.

So please, take it to some unofficial, otherwise unused channel, ok?

#7 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2639 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

This is the sort of thing that has caused EL to have so many mods in multiple timezones. Otherwise the server would have to log the channels for review on complaints. I would really prefer if crude can be kept in PM of channels >= @6 ! Otherwise if this keeps up server changes will be required, which will also have to limit links as well.

#8 PandemiC

PandemiC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

View PostJade, on 03 April 2013 - 03:46 PM, said:

Then stop the idiot that starts it every time he logs on.

I'd rather you say my name than hint at me. :)

#9 Mont

Mont

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

My memory isn't the greatest, but I thought when I logged into ol for the first time channel 1, 3 and 6 were open by default.

If this is true, moving to 6 can still scare off the newbies.

#10 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2639 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:30 PM

Channels 1 & 3 are open by default, not @6

#11 Nova

Nova

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

Piper had a good idea in this thread- http://www.other-lif...t__20#entry6802.  Maybe some time needs to be spent refining and implementing it.

#12 Juravski

Juravski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationTransylvania

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:45 PM

View PostNova, on 03 April 2013 - 09:28 PM, said:

Piper had a good idea in this thread- http://www.other-lif...t__20#entry6802.  Maybe some time needs to be spent refining and implementing it.

Let's say I don't like you Nova (theoretically), and you say something that i don't agree with on channel @1. I ask my guildies to mute you, and considering I have a few, it might just work. Won't this turn into a popularity/biggest guild power tool? Pretty dangerous if you ask me.

#13 Ikaris

Ikaris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:24 AM

I usually suggest it be taken to ch6 ... As I did today ... Most folk woke up and did so. Can I congratulate you ... Yes for listening and no for being ridiculous.

Come on ... Get the short hair crud off ch1 without being reminded.

If you want to be rude go to 6 and if you want lewd (sexy and sleezy) go to 69 ... Not hard to remember folks.

#14 Marc

Marc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:02 AM

View PostLearner, on 03 April 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

I would really prefer if crude can be kept in PM of channels >= @6 !

View PostIkaris, on 04 April 2013 - 12:24 AM, said:

I usually suggest it be taken to ch6 ...
If you want to be rude go to 6 ...

Why should channel 6 (or any of the "official" channels) suffer from the ©rude talk? Really, the kind of "chat" we heard yesterday doesn't have any positive effect to the game. There's a reason why some regular players don't join any "official" channels at all. And maybe the "official" channels in OL aren't that "official" yet, but at least channels 1, 3 and 6 are channels that people want to join because of purposes/features those channels have.

So yeah, please snuggle up against eachother in a private channel if you want to talk trash to eachother.

#15 St_ArcaNe

St_ArcaNe

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:02 AM

Making @6 the general chat channel ontop of the invasion channel was a massive blunder on the part of whoever was responsible... apparently it was radu, from what I heard anyway. When I left EL (when I sold my char and stuff anyway) @4 was the gen chat, and I'd be all for everyone moving there so as to not affront any innocent bystanders. It actually doesn't matter which chan is for what, since this is OL and 1 and 3 are the only official channels, per se. I'd even be inclined to move the general chat to chan 2.

At the end of the day, I'll try not to laugh at people who are horrified by symbols that represent sounds, which represent ideas. God knows, I can't stand retards talking about their retarded lives/pets/ideas/lawnmowers/etc, but you don't see me throwing a rightious hissy-fit about those sorry bastards. On the contrary, I try to deal with them myself, teaching them the error of their heathen ways.

#16 Nova

Nova

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:20 AM

View PostJuravski, on 03 April 2013 - 11:45 PM, said:

View PostNova, on 03 April 2013 - 09:28 PM, said:

Let's say I don't like you Nova (theoretically), and you say something that i don't agree with on channel @1. I ask my guildies to mute you, and considering I have a few, it might just work. Won't this turn into a popularity/biggest guild power tool? Pretty dangerous if you ask me.

Go read it again and better.  There is a safe guard against what you are asking about.  And for the situations where one group of people gets really stubborn and mutes someone that doesn't really deserve it, then chatlogs can be posted to the disputes section (or whatever) and the community can have a say in whether or not the 'muters' abused their muting power and should have the ability to mute taken away from their character.

#17 Elder

Elder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:45 AM

In a word, sad.

#18 Aislinn

Aislinn

• PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:49 AM

The reason they don't go to a private channel is because the whole point/goal is the reaction of the audience.  Take away the audience, there's no desire for the lewd/trash talk.

#19 St_ArcaNe

St_ArcaNe

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:29 AM

View PostAislinn, on 04 April 2013 - 06:49 AM, said:

The reason they don't go to a private channel is because the whole point/goal is the reaction of the audience.  Take away the audience, there's no desire for the lewd/trash talk.
Yes and no. While this might be the case in some situations, judging by some of the quotes in the original post, the rather meagre playerbase at the time, and the general state of affairs over here, they were probably arguing over a difference of opinions as opposed to just craving the attention of the few people who happened to be online.

I also know people who just aren't polite/courteous/civil, no matter the size of the conversation.

#20 Hades

Hades

• PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:29 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users