24 replies to this topic

#1 ohmygod

ohmygod

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:52 AM

Just checking out the shop features and saw that soft resets have a 30 day cooldown. Why is this?

I hated on EL that my time i invested in a character was deleted when i did a #reset and actually like the idea that with the feature offered in OL i can mess around with a build for any of the skills i wish to level if i get bored.

I think people should be able to soft reset at anytime if they want to try out new builds or develop up other skills as they wish. Yes they can try out builds on test server but that is not for me.. ok call me picky but hey its my opinion and can be allowed to express it.

Someone said that there was an issue with people abusing this.... Not sure how it can be abuse if real money is going to the developer each time, and for pk hey if you get your ass PKed because you thought the person had a weaker build than he/she had 10min before then dont go in to PK.

Can some one give me a good reason why there is a 30 day CD on soft resets as at present I think this sucks :)

omg.

PS didnt search forums for this topic so dont know if it has been discussed already.

#2 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2732 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:03 AM

There was a bug in the Forced Soft Resets, work around in the next update, and I have helped several people that needed another one before the cooldown expired in exchange for the plats needed for a cooldown.

As for the 30 day cooldown on normal Soft Resets, That was specifically requested by the community in the same Poll that allowed Soft Resets to be sold here http://www.other-lif...reset-approved/ along with some of the comments during the voting.

#3 ohmygod

ohmygod

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:54 AM

http://www.other-lif...t__40#entry8952

It is 2017 now - is there any thought about this being reduced in relation to the cooldown time on resets or has it been forgotten about?

I ask as I personally, would like to mix/manu during the week - Party in invasions and waste all my stuff on weekends helping my new guildies either in a tank build (maxed out reaction/toughness/material) or help with melee dps( maxed out Dexterity/might), Ranged (not sure what is good for rangers) or as a remote healer (Maxed Rationality/Ethereality.) and then rinse and repeat the fun for the following week, in a different way......

Stuck in a fixed build for longer than i have to, is sucky imho. Yes I can make 3 other characters/alts and train them especially for a fixed role, but fuk that, I have a life.... Sorry if my post offends anyone.

#4 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2732 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:45 AM

If you're interested in changing it and have talked to enough people that agree with you, the provefure is to get a poll going to see if enough people vote to change it.

#5 ohmygod

ohmygod

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:49 AM

ok will start talking then.

#6 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:18 AM

I think originally it was considered "abuse" of the system to do resets just for a day or so. For example in EL people changing Gods for special days to gain super bonuses. One could do the same in OL and only be a fighter on the weekend.

Some people think they are just using the tools they have, but others don't like the idea of exploiting something that wasn't intended. The community would have to decide whether soft resets are intended to be used in such a way.

In my opinion, soft resets are easy mode for the game and take away the replayability of making a different character. Of course nobody really has the time to make max level fighter, max mixer, etc, so I see your point there.

I think the reason that most games can pull off lack of resets is that they have class based restrictions in the first place; I have a fighter, now I want to make a mage, now I want to make a Ranger. In OL however, we just level up those skills. But then we don't have any PP for it because we spent all PP, thus we need to reset.

In my opinion, the intention of the reset is to fix a mistake (I put 10 PP in human nexus) rather than to switch characters around willy nilly. That's why I support the 30 day limit. If you want more resets within a 30 day timespan, I'd say make it cost more.

I always side on the things that make the most sense from a roleplay perspective. That's why if I would want it to be no resets. This is your character and this is what you built. The only exception would be one or two FREE resets in case you made some mistakes. You see this in plenty of other games, and it is a nice feature.

#7 ohmygod

ohmygod

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:37 AM

From my reading of your reply, it does not sound like you are actually not disagreeing with active players having a soft reset option of more than once a month, if they are willing to pay more to do so....?

Thank you for your post/thoughts, as it is always nice to read a reply to mine.......note: Cap is 100. End game will be around mid 90's for most skills. The replay-ability of this game for me is the soft reset on my time invested main character.

edited- fixed spelling mistakes ...Doh!
Edit#2 - removed my question about your activeness in the actual game after I saw the number of posts you have made in these forums.... ;)

#8 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:32 AM

I'm not very active in the game.

My favorite option would be to have a few free resets for mistakes and then charge money. Then if you keep making mistakes, charge more for more resets.

I understand this game doesn't really allow for the type of replayability that I want. That's probably why I don't play it. In other games you would say "my main character is a healer" or my main character is a tank", not "my main character is everything and I can switch whenever I want." for me that is the difference between a social/cooperative game and one where everyone just plays for themselves. I'd like to see cooperation within the community rather than just switching to whatever you need each day. But again that's a community decision that should be voted on.

Having a main character that is no different from the next guy causes problems. There's no uniqueness to any one character besides the play time invested, which can often drive people into the market of buying/selling characters. The 30 Day limit puts a 1 month stopper on all that switching and reduces the incentive somewhat.

I'd like to hear other opinions on this too. But I suspect a large majority of fighters just want to reset whenever they want, and only a few people don't like the idea of freedom of switching.

#9 ebattleon

ebattleon

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:40 AM

Yes one free reset would be nice. As for removing the 30 day limit I keep thinking a fool and his money makes for better servers.

#10 ohmygod

ohmygod

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:22 AM

Soft resets are part of this game right now, can someone tell me how it has ruined it for them personally? I keep hearing that others are not wanting others to have fun in the game because they are scared someone else will have too much fun.... Please demonstrate to me personally how it has ruined your own play, besides someone having a higher skill level than yours because they have put the time in to the game to achieve it...If it is demonstrated then I will give it a rest..

I promise ;)

If you dont put the time in, I kinda dont want to hear your opinion, because mine is valuable and would prefer to be having fun with the mine for many more years to come...That said in as non-cheeky way as possible...and i hope it makes sense.

Replay ability without 100 alt character is what I am getting at...

Edited out the drunken waffle, well most of it... :)

#11 ohmygod

ohmygod

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:28 AM

PS... beer is good, hic.. :)

PPS.. It is not like we are discussing the introduction of a brod are we?

#12 ebattleon

ebattleon

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:01 PM

View Postohmygod, on 02 March 2017 - 04:22 AM, said:

Soft resets are part of this game right now, can someone tell me how it has ruined it for them personally? I keep hearing that others are not wanting others to have fun in the game because they are scared someone else will have too much fun.... Please demonstrate to me personally how it has ruined your own play, besides someone having a higher skill level than yours because they have put the time in to the game to achieve it...If it is demonstrated then I will give it a rest..

I promise ;)

Other than making L's life a little easier to pay server rent, I don't think it will affect other players in any way at all.

View PostLearner, on 27 February 2017 - 05:45 AM, said:

If you're interested in changing it and have talked to enough people that agree with you, the prove fure is to get a poll going to see if enough people vote to change it.

What I think L is trying to say is if you want to pay me your money, you need to pay me money so you can run a poll so we can get the community to vote on you paying him more money....I think?

#13 ohmygod

ohmygod

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:54 PM

View Postebattleon, on 02 March 2017 - 07:01 PM, said:

I promise ;)

Other than making L's life a little easier to pay server rent, I don't think it will affect other players in any way at all.

If you're interested in changing it and have talked to enough people that agree with you, the prove fure is to get a poll going to see if enough people vote to change it.

What I think L is trying to say is if you want to pay me your money, you need to pay me money so you can run a poll so we can get the community to vote on you paying him more money....I think?

I read that as just have to take it to the community, as it needs to be a consensus of sorts for any game changes that may affect the enjoyment of the game by the other 6 online players. Not so much a money thing

#14 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:29 AM

I promise ;)

If you dont put the time in, I kinda dont want to hear your opinion, because mine is valuable and would prefer to be having fun with the mine for many more years to come...That said in as non-cheeky way as possible...and i hope it makes sense.

Replay ability without 100 alt character is what I am getting at...

Edited out the drunken waffle, well most of it... :)

Not that it applies to me in this game, but the thing that ruins it is this: if I put my time into making a good fighter, and then put my time into making a good mixer, and you only put your time in one character but then put money in to switch him at will, then you just paid to do what I spent twice as much time doing.

Paying for instant level 90 (and now 100) in World of Warcraft is the prime example. Not only did it cheapen the players that worked hard to get there, it also put people in the "high level" bracket with 0 experience, which made dungeons and raids really hard because the players sucked at it lol.

So really that's why we need a poll. Gather opinions to see if you want to do a poll. If we vote to remove the limit, all good for you. I would vote against it though, and if that's the majority opinion, we should try to come up with alternatives that we could do instead of no limit swapping.

#15 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:36 AM

View Postohmygod, on 02 March 2017 - 07:54 PM, said:

View Postebattleon, on 02 March 2017 - 07:01 PM, said:

I promise ;)

I read that as just have to take it to the community, as it needs to be a consensus of sorts for any game changes that may affect the enjoyment of the game by the other 6 online players. Not so much a money thing

It's a community driven game and typically L will not change something unless it's unanimous or he thinks that it's a good change. Alternatively a poll can decide to change things. We need to propose a solid idea with exact parameters to vote on.

Money goes to support the game servers and L's time spent working on the game. If it were a money-grubbing bit, he would just change it so the guy could pay to reset weekly without need for risking a poll. But those kind of decisions are what turns the community against you.

#16 ebattleon

ebattleon

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:40 AM

I think given that L has been missing the mark on paying  server rent a few months in a row this is one unilateral decision if he made I would support whole heartedly.

#17 ohmygod

ohmygod

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 10 March 2017 - 03:50 AM

I am kinda excited to be playing a familiar game again, the EL spin off OL. Some sleepless nights and long days for sure this past month and a bit(?).

My monthly subscription playing WoW for my main and a pvp  twinking  account, ..yes i have two...together was $30 a month (USD). I think i am making a saving... m0re beer money.. woot!! I have work3ed out that if you play near the end of an expansion pack life, it is more fun and less grind. not sure how that is related to the topic of reducing the soft reset cool down times though ...Hic..

Server down is a real issue, but should not be the focus of this discussion imo, more people playing and spreading the costs among ourselves is the best way to go..

Premium accounts /services might be the way to go too...utilizing plats that can be traded for gold with the new/old players maybe?

Oh btw I dont use my plats to buy premium serves, only the soft resets,p2p class and a single uni hood. The rest does not excite me enough to want to pay for them. (extra chat channels? lool). Would love to have the premium option to turn off pvp to ensure a front row seat in the owning. that will take place at some point, by the people who take advantage of the proposed new perks for pk-ing but that is another story for another time and player base maybe..

Back to soft resets and the principle behind why they are in game currently and have been set at 1 RL month.

I think they are great to have in game personally, but have issue with them being set at one month. My reasons being:
  • Stops me from being able to adapt my build to suit the role to which I want to play or to fill in a role that is missing / required during an invasion/boss fight eg strong magic user, attack or defence, ranging, muler etc role.
  • This option would be available to all players so they can also adapt their build and fill in roles as required as well.
I envision that allowing more frequent soft resets would allow for better team play on a low population server. Down side is that everybody would be able to be an all-rounder making it possible to reach level 100 in a few different skills if they wish to spend the 5+ years to do so....

....or have i got it wrong completely..... Fun is the name of the game is it not? Beat me down and tell me i am wrong I dare you .hic.. :)

omg

#18 BlakKat

BlakKat

• PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:46 AM

If we ever get an active PK community, I think that it would be problematic if builds get changed too frequently.

But honestly, at the moment I think there is no serious problem with having less cool-down. For me the pro's and con's are finely balanced, I probably would abstain in a vote.

#19 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2732 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:31 AM

Weekly or short is probably too often.

#20 ohmygod

ohmygod

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts