•  

Walk, Run, & Combat Speeds vs Carry Load?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
57 replies to this topic

Poll: Should we consider having your EMU load affect Walk/Run/Combat Speeds in the future? (44 member(s) have cast votes)

Should we consider in the future adjusting Walk/Run speeds based on your EMU load vs. max EMU?

1. Yes (26 votes [59.09%])

Percentage of vote: 59.09%

2. No (16 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

3. I don't know (2 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

Should we consider in the future adjusting Combat speeds based on your EMU load vs. max EMU?

1. Yes (17 votes [38.64%])

Percentage of vote: 38.64%

2. No (23 votes [52.27%])

Percentage of vote: 52.27%

3. I don't know (4 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

Vote

#1 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2647 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

Since the server is continuing to move towards allowing for more variable Walk, Run, and Combat Speeds, should we consider having a high carried EMU vs max EMU affect those speeds?

High carry might be defined as >50% max EMU or > 75% max EMU (TBD). The higher you are above the definition you are, the slower you would move or fight because you are encumbered to some limit (maybe 50%-75% or normal?).

Think about, discuss. This won't even be considered until after Mobs, Magic, & Ranging are looking stable under the current plans.

#2 Nova

Nova

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

I think it should be considered.  I like the realism of it.  I'm not really understanding the votes I'm seeing so far.  Why would you vote yes for walking to be effected, but not combat?  It's the same principals.

#3 St_ArcaNe

St_ArcaNe

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

Fantastic idea. Someone hauling cartloads of iron out of a mine should not be sprinting out as when they enter with a pickaxe and lantern. Someone wearing a tonne of metal armour on him should not run as fast as someone wearing nothing. Someone who has a stronger physique (IE more EMU) should by default be able to move normally carrying the same amount of extra weight around than someone who is weaker.

This is such an obviously good addition I wouldn't be able to comprehend any rational reason why people would vote no

#4 Hades

Hades

• PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

yeah, fighters have too few EMU as it is, why not make that low emu they have only 50% or 25% usable? lol, shit idea really, it only makes sense for harvesters/people with high EMU.

#5 Tessers

Tessers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

It makes sense to vote yes to both. Even though it would slow down that long iron walk, I can't disagree with common sense.

#6 Blackbeard

Blackbeard

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

oh how i hate 'realism'

#7 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

No and No

because fuck realism

#8 St_ArcaNe

St_ArcaNe

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

View PostHades, on 20 April 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

yeah, fighters have too few EMU as it is, why not make that low emu they have only 50% or 25% usable? lol, shit idea really, it only makes sense for harvesters/people with high EMU.

Perfect opportunity for more than 1 type of fighter. a raider wearing some light armour with only a day or so's supplies on him should move faster than a heavily armoured soldier of the line who's carrying lets say a week's supplies in a backpack. Should the two meet in a fight, obviously the heavy will beat the light. The same principle applies to any combat situation, armies have light cavalry to run down broken or poorly armed foes, and heavy cavalry to break enemy formations. They have skirmishers who probe the enemy lines for weaknesses, and heavy infantry to slug it out in the main battle lines.

How can varying movespeeds in any way be a bad thing, unless you only want 1 type of combat build? only a few type of stats? do you want to play noughts and crosses or do you want to play a game that actually has dynamic layers, actually incorporates strategy?

Why would it be so bad if a harvester could stand and take your attacks on him for a long period of time, it's not like he will be able to dodge/hit you much anyway, they will just be more viable in PK, than completely useless? You want more people in PK right? You want strategy in PK right? or do you want the traditional 1 dimensional 'whoever has more of the perfect PK stats wins' scenarios?

#9 Hades

Hades

• PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

yes, fighters only need reaction/dex/might/toughness/matter/ethereality/rationality atm, why not make them need more carry too ? really, shit idea, only works for harvesters/people with high emu.

I want more PK, but PK in EL was great with the system they had. To be honest, I'm starting to think that the less you need to think when choosing a build, the more people will PK. Just make a new server with old EL, version 1.0.0 and I'll play there all day, without any of these new shit additions.

#10 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

View PostSt_ArcaNe, on 20 April 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

Perfect opportunity for more than 1 type of fighter. a raider wearing some light armour with only a day or so's supplies on him should move faster than a heavily armoured soldier of the line who's carrying lets say a week's supplies in a backpack. Should the two meet in a fight, obviously the heavy will beat the light. The same principle applies to any combat situation, armies have light cavalry to run down broken or poorly armed foes, and heavy cavalry to break enemy formations. They have skirmishers who probe the enemy lines for weaknesses, and heavy infantry to slug it out in the main battle lines.

How can varying movespeeds in any way be a bad thing, unless you only want 1 type of combat build? only a few type of stats? do you want to play noughts and crosses or do you want to play a game that actually has dynamic layers, actually incorporates strategy?

Why would it be so bad if a harvester could stand and take your attacks on him for a long period of time, it's not like he will be able to dodge/hit you much anyway, they will just be more viable in PK, than completely useless? You want more people in PK right? You want strategy in PK right? or do you want the traditional 1 dimensional 'whoever has more of the perfect PK stats wins' scenarios?

I do agree with different speeds for light/heavy armors, but they should just be based on the type of armor you equip, and not on how many emu you have in use. i dont like that, forces me to bring even less shit in battle

the way its proposed it makes any person that fights slow.

rangers will need tons of arrows = slow
fighters need tons of potions = slow
mages need essence = slow

#11 St_ArcaNe

St_ArcaNe

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

View Postscarr, on 20 April 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

View PostSt_ArcaNe, on 20 April 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

I do agree with different speeds for light/heavy armors, but they should just be based on the type of armor you equip, and not on how many emu you have in use. i dont like that, forces me to bring even less shit in battle

the way its proposed it makes any person that fights slow.

rangers will need tons of arrows = slow
fighters need tons of potions = slow
mages need essence = slow
I understand that bro, but what changes if you carry supplies for 100 heals and supply for 20 heals? shorter fights? ok that's not a bad thing is it, who liked the 10minute fights of EL where nobody wins anyway? and now you can have people who move faster than others, IE you can actually have people with specific roles, 2-3 people can be heavy dps, and 1-2 can be lighter fighters who have to catch the enemies who try to run away, or do the scouting for their heavier counterparts?

just remember everyone will be forced to make the same choices as you, they are not gimping you alone (not directed at you scarr, is a general statement)

#12 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

No & No

#13 Dilly

Dilly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

voted no to both. Scrap variable EMU per item and I might reconsider. Right now, the item's EMU already has an impact on ´speed´, not the walking speed but for harvesters/mixers it does in determining how often inv needs to be empty/reloaded, and for fighters in any environment in how often they need to restock.

#14 St_ArcaNe

St_ArcaNe

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

Wow, either I'm missing something massive, or a lot of people really just want regular EL with a few minor tweaks...

Well, lets see how it turns out.

#15 groomsh

groomsh

• PipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

Yes and Yes.
I completely agree with what StA said ...

#16 Hades

Hades

• PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

cunt changes will make a cunt game, same with EL. like a christmas tree with too many decorations. Pls give us old EL back, without any of these gay unneeded things.

#17 Warlock

Warlock

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

No % No, imo this is a terrible idea, focus more on the real issues

Fair enough you done some cool coding that allows different walking / fighting speeds, but i think u should just leave it at that.

#18 Tuffy

Tuffy

• PipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

no and no, have problem with how slow it is now already lol,

now if we all started out running then that might be an option to add this.

but if it is going to be based on the current speed of the way we move already then my vote stays the same.

peace out krazy.

#19 Warlock

Warlock

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

In order to be able to SLIGHTLY compete with any PKers, i've had to take low ass carry, im maxed out already and have low pots/ess/equipment as it is, will that mean i will walk/fight slow because im maxed out or what?
I still disagree with carry being a seperate attribute, it sucks so bad. Limits me even more JUST on a/d.
Just leave it as it is PLEASE

#20 Blackbeard

Blackbeard

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

on something of a sidenote: Soul this game should have become better than EL ever was, you're just very nostalgia'd

also carry as an attribute is a bad idea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users