•  

Walk, Run, & Combat Speeds vs Carry Load?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
57 replies to this topic

Poll: Should we consider having your EMU load affect Walk/Run/Combat Speeds in the future? (44 member(s) have cast votes)

Should we consider in the future adjusting Walk/Run speeds based on your EMU load vs. max EMU?

1. Yes (26 votes [59.09%])

Percentage of vote: 59.09%

2. No (16 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

3. I don't know (2 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

Should we consider in the future adjusting Combat speeds based on your EMU load vs. max EMU?

1. Yes (17 votes [38.64%])

Percentage of vote: 38.64%

2. No (23 votes [52.27%])

Percentage of vote: 52.27%

3. I don't know (4 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

Vote

#41 Warlock

Warlock

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

ah didnt see that :D

#42 Paranoia

Paranoia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

I don't know & No.

As for walk speed, I don't think it's a great idea to make people walk slower as OL does require quite a lot of running around and I can imagine a great level of irritation as you are collecting your ingredients for a big project and have to take a very.. slow... walk.. to.. the.. storage.
Also I read briefly over the sense of realism, remember this is a game and it doesn't have to make sense to anyone.
You also play a game to have fun, I can't imagine needing to walk very very slowly to gather things makes you very happy.

For combat speed, no, just no.
Don't make combat speed rely on what is in someones inventory, again, this is a game, you don't have to be realistic. I love how people make stories about the army warrior and a rebel with a days or a weeks load of supplies. I'm sure neither of them keeps the backpack on while in combat so that wouldn't even count.
I am really in favor of different combat speeds because it makes for a nice fighting scene.
But I'm sure there are different ways, combat stances are an option.
Aggressive, normal and defensive combat stances. All with their own pros and cons. Increased attack speed, defenses, etc.
I'd say you can discuss about this for hours as it's a pretty big topic so I'll just leave it here with a No on combat speed vs Carry.

#43 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

My 5 cents:
If you want change something in way walking speed- its ok
What i think:
Currently one speed(walk)is available,we can make ppl albo to running but for any time depends of value of one of x attri.
Exactly there will be some button to turn it on,but that ppl must have food bar on + and every each second on maybe few secs,will decrease that bar value
for example overall level 100 allows you to run max for 100 seconds,(toughness+might+carry)/10=8(for me)and while runnning you will lose 8 food points by every 100(oa)+80(xattr sum)/10 secs of running

not bad i guess

#44 iowa

iowa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:57 PM

The more I think about it, the more I dont like the feeling of having to crawl back  with a full load. I feel very strongly about this. I honestly don't see any benefit for the overall game also.
I am very happy with my max emu; I thought it was a nice improvement.  I dont have to walk back and forth 1k times to get  ingr or walk to a destination.
Separate cc was introduced and  I cannot help the feeling I was tricked.
Now  people with max emu are being punished for putting the pp into it. Yep, I am just plain annoyed here. For me, slower walking is a big issue. I already get coffee and walk my rabbit when I walk back. If I have to walk even slower I can clean house, drink too much coffee and kill my rabbit for too much exercise.
I cannot comment on how I would feel in combat, because I don't know enough about it.

I don't understand some people's feeling of wanting a more realistic view (dwarves,elves,orcs,cyclops????)  but I offer a solution for them. Part of this game seems to be about ancient role-playing. Let's pretend we are giants who are strong as hell.

#45 St_ArcaNe

St_ArcaNe

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:02 AM

You are absolutely correct Iowa, screw this realism crap, I hate having to walk back and forth between storage. In fact I think we should automatically teleport to storage when full, no no, I think the storage should follow us around so that we don't have to deal with the inconvience of having to even teleport to it. No you know what, I think I hate the idea of a storage NPC, I want my inventory to automatically be a storage, yeah, and all the resources must be around me, I also want to be able to mix stacks of 5k items at a time. Actually you know what, I am too lazy to mix myself, I think learner must design an AI feature based on the Ants project so that the game does all my mixing/moving for me, and I can just watch. No scratch that, I am too lazy to watch, maybe the bot can just send me an email every week so that I can be informed of my characters progress. Yeah, I think I like that idea. Of course it'd be nice if the bot could also read my email for me, in a voice recording so I don't have to strain my eyes, and if possible let the bot bring the PC to me in my bed, cos I don't want to get up for it, preferably with coffee to keep me awake, since it's gunna be hard work listening to that bot... maybe I should have another bot to listen to the first bot, so that I don't have to...

#46 iowa

iowa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:53 AM

You might think my post  is about lazy people (maybe you relate much to them?), but in fact it is about people who are not lazy at all and want to keep going.
Ill give you an example to make it easier for you to get the point.
It is like fighters who would like more spawns; you might think they want that for easy killings, but I am sure most want to keep on killing to keep them focussed/entertained in the game.
Slower walking  gives more idle time and too much idle time might make it harder to get 'into' the game itself.

#47 St_ArcaNe

St_ArcaNe

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:11 AM

If the problem is having to acquire vast amounts of resources with mindnumbing gathering then the problem is not the movespeed factor, but the system itself. Why people always want to use arbitrary reasons to validate their misgivings about every single idea ever posted on this forum is usually because a frustration with an already existing part of this game, but instead of fixing the original problem, they'd rather block anything that might augment it, at the cost of not implementing anything of note to this game.

Besides. if you understand how the intended change is supposed to work, you probably realise that a slowed effect only occurs once a certain level of over-loading takes place, hence you could still move as fast as suits you. This change might even benefit you, provided movespeed could be increased from the current with lighter loads, and you load up only enough to acquire said effect.

If this leads to a slower influx of resources then so be it, nobody will benefit more or less since everyone has the same rules applied to them, so any argument about 'omfg, now I can't carry so much anymore :<' is kind of redundant, nobody else can either. I'm actually for getting rid of mass-production, although not explicidly in the form of limiting people, but in changing the system that promotes it, but that's another off-topic discussion.

speaking of which, I don't care about more spawns, I'm not interested in fighting in this game as is. If I were however, I'd certainly not support anything that will encourage the hours/days/years of spawn camping and grinding as a form of levelling.

#48 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

View PostSt_ArcaNe, on 24 April 2013 - 02:02 AM, said:

You are absolutely correct Iowa, screw this realism crap, I hate having to walk back and forth between storage. In fact I think we should automatically teleport to storage when full, no no, I think the storage should follow us around so that we don't have to deal with the inconvience of having to even teleport to it. No you know what, I think I hate the idea of a storage NPC, I want my inventory to automatically be a storage, yeah, and all the resources must be around me, I also want to be able to mix stacks of 5k items at a time. Actually you know what, I am too lazy to mix myself, I think learner must design an AI feature based on the Ants project so that the game does all my mixing/moving for me, and I can just watch. No scratch that, I am too lazy to watch, maybe the bot can just send me an email every week so that I can be informed of my characters progress. Yeah, I think I like that idea. Of course it'd be nice if the bot could also read my email for me, in a voice recording so I don't have to strain my eyes, and if possible let the bot bring the PC to me in my bed, cos I don't want to get up for it, preferably with coffee to keep me awake, since it's gunna be hard work listening to that bot... maybe I should have another bot to listen to the first bot, so that I don't have to...
3/10

#49 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

View PostFire, on 23 April 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

My 5 cents:
If you want change something in way walking speed- its ok
What i think:
Currently one speed(walk)is available,we can make ppl albo to running but for any time depends of value of one of x attri.
Exactly there will be some button to turn it on,but that ppl must have food bar on + and every each second on maybe few secs,will decrease that bar value
for example overall level 100 allows you to run max for 100 seconds,(toughness+might+carry)/10=8(for me)and while runnning you will lose 8 food points by every 100(oa)+80(xattr sum)/10 secs of running

not bad i guess
maybe some1 comment it? HM?

#50 St_ArcaNe

St_ArcaNe

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

Stamina theory, maybe link running to the action points which are currently not used, and make people regen action points more regularly, possibly even with a cross attrib increasing the regen rate, and maybe a perk like 'long distance athlete' which makes you use up less action points while sprinting.

Would give a decent use for action points, and also I'd prefer that to the food bar, which can be manipulated at a cost, where as the action points would be relatively free, with the limiting factor being a cooldown.

Probably should be a seperate idea in a seperate thread though.

#51 Lu_ton

Lu_ton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

as yet i havent voted,id like too rerad up on more ppls suggestions and answers before i make my vote,as i could regret it.Also too expand on Iowa's post,could it even be possible for a worth while price too have an item that allows you too teleport to any marked destination you wish,,providing you been there and marked it,so to speak?.

#52 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2699 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

View PostLu_ton, on 24 April 2013 - 02:32 PM, said:

as yet i havent voted,id like too rerad up on more ppls suggestions and answers before i make my vote,as i could regret it.Also too expand on Iowa's post,could it even be possible for a worth while price too have an item that allows you too teleport to any marked destination you wish,,providing you been there and marked it,so to speak?.
This is exactly why I put this up. So the community can have a chance to discuss and think about if this is a direction we want to consider for later or not.

#53 Nightmare

Nightmare

• PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:31 AM

I like focus to be on lot of other things before this, like:  gatherer ability, nexus balance, magic skill, summoning skill, ranging skill, auction house, mail system, gossip-like system, -5 def/opponent multi penalty, video capture,  etc.

This is great example of why we need to revisit priority list and have new poll.  Focus was intended to be elsewhere.

#54 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2699 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:56 AM

View PostNightmare, on 25 April 2013 - 12:31 AM, said:

I like focus to be on lot of other things before this, like:  gatherer ability, nexus balance, magic skill, summoning skill, ranging skill, auction house, mail system, gossip-like system, -5 def/opponent multi penalty, video capture,  etc.

This is great example of why we need to revisit priority list and have new poll.  Focus was intended to be elsewhere.
This is intended as a discussion if we want to consider such a feature. Not to put it in as a priority item at this time.

#55 Nightmare

Nightmare

• PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:09 AM

That's fine, just seem it get a lot of focus and attention when we can be talking about higher priority item.

#56 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

View PostSt_ArcaNe, on 24 April 2013 - 02:31 PM, said:

Stamina theory, maybe link running to the action points which are currently not used, and make people regen action points more regularly, possibly even with a cross attrib increasing the regen rate, and maybe a perk like 'long distance athlete' which makes you use up less action points while sprinting.

Would give a decent use for action points, and also I'd prefer that to the food bar, which can be manipulated at a cost, where as the action points would be relatively free, with the limiting factor being a cooldown.

Probably should be a seperate idea in a seperate thread though.

thats a good idea to use action points on, just need a hotkey to sprint, then wait for your AP to regenerate over time before you can sprint again

perhaps also use the action points for special attacks that require stamina

#57 Nova

Nova

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

i also like the idea of stamina bursts.

#58 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts