•  

Magic Protection vs. Magic Resitance?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: What spell name seems stronger to you? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

What spell name seems stronger to you?

1. Magic Protection (7 votes [41.18%])

Percentage of vote: 41.18%

2. Magic Resistance (7 votes [41.18%])

Percentage of vote: 41.18%

3. Other (post your response with a suggestion, do NOT say Magic Immuity!) (3 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2638 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:07 AM

Currently, the spell Magic Protection helps protect you from Magic by reducing the damage you take and giving you a chance other spells can fail against you.

A more powerful version of the spell is going to be tested who's effects increase as you're level increase and based on MagDef Attribute. The question is, What name do you think implies a stronger spell? Magic Protection or Magic Resistance, or do you have another suggestion?

Please give me your feedback or post alternative suggestions. Of course Magic Immunity beats them all, but I'm looking for something between the two and adjusting names properly to be the most reasonable.

If you have additional ideas for spells to give you protection or help defend against magical attacks, feel free to add them to this thread as well!

#2 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

I have a quetion about MI because you didnt mentioned nothing here,it gonna stay as it is but will be available on high level?

In Subject:I selected Magic Protection because it  means you get protect,not resistance
I think we should create any plan how to build all spells,how  to group it with each others,maybe create levels for any spells

#3 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2638 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

I've already stated elsewhere the MI is moving up to a higher level. Later players will have the opportunity to say if they want MI at all or not.

#4 Nightmare

Nightmare

• PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

iirc the 2 are completely different in purpose: 1 is reduce spell effects and other reduce chance of effects of magical weapons like OSoMN, JSoC, etc.  idr which is which atm, but i think MP is for effect of magic weapon and mag res for spells.

#5 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2638 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:00 PM

Magic Protection spell already has has included in it a Magic Resistance effect :( At the same time I'm trying to rebuild magic I'm also running into the fact that Magic Protection as it is now it technically miss-named or that what it does internally is miss-named. Look at the description of Magic Protection in the Enc to see what I mean!

#6 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

Learner i see the Magic Protection gives you +8 points,so its like with current mages power ,its like MI?

#7 Ikaris

Ikaris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:54 PM

Expecto Patronum ... like there was any other answer.

#8 Swiss

Swiss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:50 PM

Voted Other
Weak Version: Magic Absorbtion/Absorb Magic reduces effectiveness by x amount, possibly negating the spell altogether.
Stronger Version: Magic Protection increases amount reduced by a factor of your level + magic defense attribute, chance of negating the spell also increased by the same formula.

Additionally, there are some sigils with no use (in this game or EL). Hopefully those poor sigils will find a home now.
~Swiss

#9 ohmygod

ohmygod

• PipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

reading NMs reply does sound familar and is right based on the EL system.

your poll asks what sounds stronger right? to me protection = safe, resistance = less safe, how ever the effect of the spell is more of a resistance rather than protection you still take damage some of the time, unlike MI which stops all damage all the time it is active.

I voted resistance because at the end of the day thats what it is.

Question - which lvl will factor in to increase your natural resistance before you spend PP on MagDef Attribute? Defence, Magic or Overall?

and;
Will MI be kept or removed from the game?

#10 Nightmare

Nightmare

• PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:07 AM

Another option to consider is to have MI last less time (now ~90 seconds).  I know u don't want to talk about MI, Learner, but I think we need to consider all options.

#11 Shocker

Shocker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

agree with Nightmare :).

#12 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts