•  

OL Proxy for Premium Users or All?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

Poll: Who should be able to use the first OL Proxy? (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Who should be able to use the first OL Proxy?

1. Premium OL Players Only (9 votes [22.50%])

Percentage of vote: 22.50%

2. All OL Players (31 votes [77.50%])

Percentage of vote: 77.50%

3. I don't know (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote

#1 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2639 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

I'm currently working on a version of my EL Proxy that is enhanced for OL, including testing some additional data reduction features that would work with the next OL Client. For those of you that aren't familiar with the EL Proxy features, it already optimizes the protocol giving 10%-25% bandwidth reduction regularly. In busy invasions we've even seen 35% reductions during testing. Most people won't notice this difference, but others have seen their invasion lag get reduced.

Currently, any OL player could use it (but not recommended because I've been restarting it regularly). But, when I've finished and the development, should I limit it only to Premium Accounts, or should I leave it open to everyone?

Note: If it is made available only to Premium members, there would be no change to the pricing of that feature.

#2 Warlock

Warlock

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationLuton-London

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:39 AM

All OL players

edit: i dont know how many people(if any) use mobile internet, but i do, and it lags like hell anyway, especially during invasions

#3 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2639 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:20 AM

Yes, people on mobile should at least lag less :) Anyone with slower connection should see improvements, which is exactly why I'm looking at this for a short break on mobs/magic.

#4 Tuffy

Tuffy

• PipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:00 AM

same im on wireless it laggs quite abit especially when fighting. voted all ol players too.

#5 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:01 AM

I dont have any lags.
Vote:For p2p ppl

#6 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2639 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

The proxy is looking good ... there are still going to be changes so I will be having to restart it at time. For those people that know how to edit servers.lst & want to see if it can help them, as the following line and use it:

proxy		 other-life	 proxy2.other-life.com 2001 Other-life (proxy)

Remember, this is still being tested and your millage may very.

#7 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

no laggs here but voted for all OL people, a good connection to your game is what you should give for free

#8 samson

samson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationMichigan USA

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

I voted for all players. This should be good for everyone.

#9 Bat17

Bat17

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

dont really know much about proxies but if these improvements can be had by proxy couldn't they also just be built into the main server or is there a down side too?

#10 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2639 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

While it's easy to install the proxy on the same machine as the main server .... actually combining the code is a lot more complex because of how that data is handled in the server. That should not be a deciding factor on how anyone votes for this.

#11 groomsh

groomsh

• PipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

View PostBat17, on 04 May 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

dont really know much about proxies but if these improvements can be had by proxy couldn't they also just be built into the main server or is there a down side too?
One good thing to have them separate (even on completely different place) is that sometimes the route from client to main server is really slow, while the route to the proxy is lot faster.
It all depends on what routers are between the client and server. I am using Learners proxy for EL too and it helps to cut down the latency quite a bit AND it removes the outages i used to have, when a router in france goes down (what happens quite regularaly :P).

#12 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1166 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:58 AM

I vote that everybody should get access to it. We, the players are what makes OL as it is today and if we weren't here then OL wouldn't exist. Give the people a reward for sticking by this long through thick and thin to deserve this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users