•  

Excavator Cape After Completing Noob Tutorial

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Poll: Excavator Cape after Tutorial (149 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the Tutorial NPC given an Excavator Cape at the end?

1. Yes, great idea (87 votes [58.39%])

Percentage of vote: 58.39%

2. I don't know (6 votes [4.03%])

Percentage of vote: 4.03%

3. No, they should go buy it themselves (56 votes [37.58%])

Percentage of vote: 37.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Rabbitman

Rabbitman

That Mod Guy

• PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

Hey all,

As the topic says, I'd like to suggest we have the Tutorial NPC poof an Excavator Cape into n00bs inventory when they finish the tutorial quest. Harving to get your first is very tedious especially at low levels. It might also be a good idea to point them to votd lilacs in the same message, and warn them about Bob the gob in PL. I think this would help retain some new players.

Thanks,

Achilles

* Sponsored Poll *
PandemiC

Edited by Learner, 24 March 2013 - 07:16 AM.
Added Sponsorship informaiton

#2 PandemiC

PandemiC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:52 PM

View PostRabbitman, on 19 September 2012 - 03:50 PM, said:

Hey all,

As the topic says, I'd like to suggest we have the Tutorial NPC poof an Excavator Cape into n00bs inventory when they finish the tutorial quest. Harving to get your first is very tedious especially at low levels. It might also be a good idea to point them to votd lilacs in the same message, and warn them about Bob the gob in PL. I think this would help retain some new players.

Thanks,

Achilles

During the tutorial the NPC tells them about making FE for cash and also Lilacs*

I like this idea.

*If I remember correctly, its been ages since I done tutorial.

~Panda

#3 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:52 PM

Having an excavator cape from an quest is nice, but i don't agree it should be from the Tutorial NPC
But instead should give basic armor and consumables.

#4 Infamous

Infamous

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:54 PM

nice reward for newbies, gives them something other then just the leather stuff/iron sword. some might not need to armor because they want to harv/mix, so exc cloak is a nice addition.

#5 Jade

Jade

• PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:54 PM

Good idea. with low emu and no excavator cape it  is a bit of a pain to harvest and sell flowers for almost 3k gc. On the subject of the tutorial npc i also think the dailies parts should be removed if we are not going to have dailies.

#6 PandemiC

PandemiC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

Possibly given after Harvesting tutorial?

Seems to make sense, as you get armor after fighting tutorial.

#7 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

We are all experience, so we needed that cape asap, but does a true newb really need one that early? he will just fight with it and lose it.

#8 malameo

malameo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:17 PM

before i read your post i thought YES YES YES.. good point scarr. quest doesn't have to be for 1k gc, can be just 200 or 500. and also work on prices of stuff at npc (AFTER we decide on more important stuff) because they are all just so much wrong. fe ings are 10+ gc from npc, npc buying fe for 3... omf and so on... have to recalc the economy imo

#9 St_ArcaNe

St_ArcaNe

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:45 PM

Scarr makes a valid point, but in the interest of holding onto newbs it's not really a bad idea, they will probably lose it, but at least they didn't waste time to procure it, and maybe they even learn a lesson from it. Besides, maybe if they were exposed to a harv cape and lost it they would at least know there is such an item available and look for a way to get a new one.

a downside though might be that if I lost my harv cape, I'll just ask a friend to make an alt and give me one. If you were to give newbs a free harv cape, it would probably be a good idea to lower the prices for one at an npc, although maybe the tutorial quests are long enough to deter most people from bothering idk.

Perhaps another downside may be that you are making it even easier for gc farmers to make alts, although I suppose if they are going to sell gc with some serious intent they would go through the hassles of getting one anyway, after all they only have to do it once.

One thing is for certain, there will be a lot of extra harv capes entering the game that will find new owners, and stay ingame after the newb who lost it probably left, and since they only break/poof due to silly mistakes, an equal amount won't be leaving the game. They will become a cheap-common item, rarely bought from the NPC. Whether this is good or bad I can't say for sure.

Voted yes for the sake of making the trials of the newbs a little easier, but we might end up with shitloads of harv capes in every storage.

edit: I also just thought that maybe you should make people under 20 harv get the effect automatically, and lose it after they reach lvl 20, but that's got me thinking that they will probably feel that the game is taking something away from them, where-as giving them a cape as a rewards makes the stupid little buggers happier.

#10 Aislinn

Aislinn

• PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

I voted no, they should save up to buy it themselves.  It's one of those things that you look forward to being able to earn.  There needs to be goals and incentives, not handouts.  It's one of those items that can't possibly be appreciated appropriately until you've harvested the newb way a bit.

#11 St_ArcaNe

St_ArcaNe

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

Yeah that's probably true, maybe a harv cape isn't the best item to reward them with. I deleted my vote and added it to 'I don't know', I'll see if there are any more opinions on the matter before I make a decision.

btw <3 the ability to retract my vote

#12 Wizzy

Wizzy

• PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

Things you get for free have no value.

In my company, I used to provide a free trail of equipment to customers where I knew potential was great. I would go to the trouble to size the application, send them a free item out of my pocket, to find it was still sitting on their desk/store room/ ware house months later. There was no value being free. Make them send a Purchase order for it (even at a cut rate) it becomes money / time invested. A whole different attitude.

Same goes here. People need goals, and they need to accomplish these goals.

#13 PandemiC

PandemiC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:05 PM

View PostAislinn, on 19 September 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

I voted no, they should save up to buy it themselves.  It's one of those things that you look forward to being able to earn.  There needs to be goals and incentives, not handouts.  It's one of those items that can't possibly be appreciated appropriately until you've harvested the newb way a bit.

I respect the point of you talking about incentives and handouts.

Because i've played EL, I know the process of starting fresh etc, harvesting lilacs, FEs all that shabam. In terms of this poll, and the point I would like to bring into it, is how long it takes to get where you want. Not everyone ofcourse can play 12 hours a day, and ofcourse not everyone wants to. I've played probably solidly on OL for 4 days now. It took me a whole day to get an excavator cape, with some help - and then from there tideous harvesting for the books I want.

If it comes to making victor BUY the capes from you (Starcys point of them leaving the game) for a couple hundred gc, and lowering the price of them from 2,9k to 1,5k or so seems acceptable.

I dont know how many people want to spend a day to get a measly cape to help harvesting because you need to make gc to progress for which Currently we fighters cannot.

In terms of goals, like I said I respect that opinion but in my eyes my first thing I want to be able to earn is a new piece of chain armor, not a cape.

#14 Aislinn

Aislinn

• PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

In a game called Eternal Lands, it took you "a whole day" and the problem is...what?
So for the average player, it might take 3 days.  And that is unreasonable...how?

I think maybe somebody needs to start a topic about whether this game should be about instant gratification or not.

#15 PandemiC

PandemiC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:32 PM

View PostAislinn, on 19 September 2012 - 05:22 PM, said:

In a game called Eternal Lands, it took you "a whole day" and the problem is...what?
So for the average player, it might take 3 days.  And that is unreasonable...how?

I think maybe somebody needs to start a topic about whether this game should be about instant gratification or not.

It's not instant gratification.
The game is called Eternal Lands. Not My Eternal Life. I wouldn't play any game that took 3 days to get a cape to be able to do anything AT ALL.
Look how long it's taken to get anywhere near the top in EL, I expect that in OL because of what Learner has said, but I still expect to be able to get a cape, to be able to harvest efficiently to be able to do anything. If the price was significantly lowered I'd still be okay with that, rather than it be given free like I said.

Alot of people have spent considerable amounts of time in EL, the amount of time is unhealthy.
I think adding a simple excavator cape to the end of tutorial quest isn't incredibly detrimental to the amount of time you'd still have to spend harvesting to level. In all honesty it'd still keep many newbies (from outside of EL). Especially if Learner says to get to 80s on OL is like 120s on EL.

That is how it's unreasonable, again in my opinion.

#16 Jade

Jade

• PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:49 PM

First things newbs ask... how do i make money? You need to remember this is a society of i want what i want now not 3 days from now. I dont see a problem with having tons of harv capes because its not like you even buy tons of them. You buy 1 and dont have to do it again unless you do something dumb and lose it. So how exactly giving them a free cape change it? There are other goals in this game. You want it to be a goal? Fine finish the harv tutorial part and there you go. Goal completed. I got a harv cape.

#17 Aislinn

Aislinn

• PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:42 PM

I don't see an excavator cape as necessary to harvest.
It's a luxury to make it faster, and luxuries should be earned.

#18 Jade

Jade

• PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:56 PM

View PostAislinn, on 19 September 2012 - 06:42 PM, said:

I don't see an excavator cape as necessary to harvest.
It's a luxury to make it faster, and luxuries should be earned.

You are right it's not necessary. But the idea is to keep the newbies and make it a little easier to make gc quicker. It's not like we are giving them a NMT. And who harvests without the cape?  

To be honest, I think they should also receive boots. They get the torso, pants, and helms. So why not the boots? They aren't even sold by npc's. When the armor breaks then  they can use their harv cape to make the money to replace it fast.

Taking forever to do something is one of the biggest reasons ppl leave a game. Almost everyone I have got to try EL gave that as one of the reasons they didnt like it.

With things like this, I side to get new players and keep them. Letting the game grow. Not taking 6 years to develop a character.

#19 Koss

Koss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:12 AM

Without mini events in the picture, getting a full load of Lilacs doesn't take long at all now.  I would say let them buy it on their own once they start harvesting the higher level items if they choose to.  Point has already been made that they will probably die and lose it anyways.

#20 PandemiC

PandemiC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:12 AM

View PostKoss, on 20 September 2012 - 12:12 AM, said:

Without mini events in the picture, getting a full load of Lilacs doesn't take long at all now.  I would say let them buy it on their own once they start harvesting the higher level items if they choose to.  Point has already been made that they will probably die and lose it anyways.

20OA being when you drop items, I dont know how many newbies, given AMPLE warning would lose the cape.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users