•  

Excavator Cape After Completing Noob Tutorial

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Poll: Excavator Cape after Tutorial (149 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the Tutorial NPC given an Excavator Cape at the end?

1. Yes, great idea (87 votes [58.39%])

Percentage of vote: 58.39%

2. I don't know (6 votes [4.03%])

Percentage of vote: 4.03%

3. No, they should go buy it themselves (56 votes [37.58%])

Percentage of vote: 37.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:38 AM

Why does the main income have to be from harvesting? just increase the gc drop rate slightly and place a blacksmith with  basic gear and a potion seller on IP

#22 Korrode

Korrode

• PipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationMelburn, Strayamate.

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:34 AM

Indeed. Harvesting purely for income should not be mandatory. It should be an option only.

As i've said in other threads, I don't even think NPC's should buy raw harvestables. Having the market flooded with raw harvestables is good. It contributes to keeping prices of finished products down while not being detrimental to mixers making a profit.

#23 groomsh

groomsh

• PipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:14 AM

View PostKorrode, on 20 September 2012 - 03:34 AM, said:

Indeed. Harvesting purely for income should not be mandatory. It should be an option only.

As i've said in other threads, I don't even think NPC's should buy raw harvestables. Having the market flooded with raw harvestables is good. It contributes to keeping prices of finished products down while not being detrimental to mixers making a profit.
Well completely removing NPC's that buy harvestables is not a solution either. It would be very unpleasant if i was forced to kill mobs to get gc to be able to mix things (i consider myself mainly as a mixer).
As we all agreed in several places, balance is the key.

#24 Blackbeard

Blackbeard

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:20 AM

You as an allrounder sell harvestables to NPCs in EL on a regular basis? Doubt it...

Also on topic, I voted no. The tutorial system does suck though

#25 Korrode

Korrode

• PipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:33 AM

View Postgroomsh, on 20 September 2012 - 04:14 AM, said:

Well completely removing NPC's that buy harvestables is not a solution either. It would be very unpleasant if i was forced to kill mobs to get gc to be able to mix things (i consider myself mainly as a mixer).
As we all agreed in several places, balance is the key.
I'm for NPC's buying some finished products. As a mixer you should be able to make some amount of gc by turning those harvestables into a finished product and selling that instead. That would be an advantage and reward for the nexus you've invested and the time you've spent leveling those mixing skills, an advantage the pure fighters won't have. They will have the mob drops (and if my suggestion of no nexus for harvestables is implemented, perhaps selling raw materials to likes of you, and at a price you're quite happy with, because with no NPC's buying, it'll be a buyers market).

That said, it should still be more profitable for you to sell wares to players so we have an active market, the NPC buying some finished product is just a 'backup'.

#26 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

View PostWizzy, on 19 September 2012 - 05:04 PM, said:

Things you get for free have no value.

In my company, I used to provide a free trail of equipment to customers where I knew potential was great. I would go to the trouble to size the application, send them a free item out of my pocket, to find it was still sitting on their desk/store room/ ware house months later. There was no value being free. Make them send a Purchase order for it (even at a cut rate) it becomes money / time invested. A whole different attitude.

Same goes here. People need goals, and they need to accomplish these goals.

Yes agreed. A critical factor in making the game enjoyable is providing players with a sense of achievement, the only problem being that not everyone prefers to achieve by the same means. Hence, there are risks in changing aspects of gameplay that diminish the sense of achievement of others, and a need to carefully balance competing interests.

Making it easier for players to acquire an exc cape is one such point. I can understand why it would make the game more enjoyable for those who derive no sense of achievement from acquiring the item, but that's not necessarily the same for everyone. Some, even if they don't enjoy grinding, still regard it as critical to their sense of achievement and, if you reduce the effort required to acquire an item,  you necessarilly risk reducing the sense of achievment (and enjoyment) of that group.

That might not be an issue where its necessary to balance the competing interests of various groups of players, but i've seen no compelling argument to suggest why that should apply to exc capes. If anything, i'd suggest there's a case to reduce the number of items given in the Noob Tutorial, or at least seek to make the level of effort required to complete the quest consistent with the value of items given at the end.

#27 Nova

Nova

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:20 PM

If anyone is interested, I have a tutorial made up, left over from when radu ran a tutorial 'contest', then decided he didn't want to run it anymore after several enteries were submitted.  It teaches all the basics of the game (the way EL is played.  it can easily be modified for OL if anything changes) and rewards are things like XP in most of the different skills and some lowish level armor to get people started and ocasionally a little bit of gc with suggestions of things you might want to buy with that gc.  Not sure if this would be the place to post the outline, so someone just let me know if they want to see it and where to put it.   Obviously I'm willing to let it be used in game if wanted.

#28 Wizzy

Wizzy

• PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

Very Nice Nova!

#29 Nova

Nova

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:45 PM

On the issue of getting free stuff vs earning things:  1. Doing the quest and getting a cape or anything else is earning what you get, isn't it?  2. What if the different capes had required levels to use?  I hear, once upon a time, EL used to be like that.  Seems like a good idea.  It gives lower level goals to work toward as you are learning the game and reading all the beginner books and stuff.  So even if you do get a free harv cape from the tutorial you still have to work a little bit to be able to earn the levels to use it.

#30 Trojan_Knight

Trojan_Knight

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:33 PM

I think anything that gives to newbies, is a great idea for many reasons. The key is, as many have stated, to get new players to stick around. So the more helpful, easier, freedom of choice we can make the begining of play, the better.

:)

#31 Wizzy

Wizzy

• PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:25 PM

How about having instead of a play2win shop item, a

Play2start  starter kit

For a fee to the shop you can buy

1 exe cape, heal signals, 50 brs, 50 HE and 50 minor mana pots?

#32 Blackbeard

Blackbeard

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:34 PM

How very rilkoh on unoffs
Ok idea I guess

#33 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2717 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:44 PM

View PostBlackbeard, on 30 September 2012 - 04:34 PM, said:

How very rilkoh on unoffs
Ok idea I guess
Actually, 3 different people reported that post to me, including Rilkoh himself.

#34 Blackbeard

Blackbeard

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:02 PM

I think you misunderstood me, but ok

#35 Aislinn

Aislinn

• PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:34 PM

Well peachy.   Didn't take long at all for somebody to screw that improvement over.  I thought there was a poll somewhere about the black market but danged if I can find it.  So much for fixing THAT ehh?  <_<

#36 Korrode

Korrode

• PipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:48 PM

View PostAislinn, on 30 September 2012 - 09:34 PM, said:

Well peachy.   Didn't take long at all for somebody to screw that improvement over.  I thought there was a poll somewhere about the black market but danged if I can find it.  So much for fixing THAT ehh?  <_<
http://www.other-lif...arket-gc-sales/

Paid for poll, just waiting on Learner to attach it.

#37 Aislinn

Aislinn

• PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:09 AM

Ahh ok thanks, fantastic.  I'm feeling very disorganized in here suddenly. Heh.

#38 SolarStar

SolarStar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

View PostAislinn, on 19 September 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

I voted no, they should save up to buy it themselves.  It's one of those things that you look forward to being able to earn.  There needs to be goals and incentives, not handouts.  It's one of those items that can't possibly be appreciated appropriately until you've harvested the newb way a bit.
I agree. I can't remember how long it takes to get this cape with harvesting lilacs.. I will find out soon. But I also think that it should take no longer then 40 minutes of harvesting the newbie way in order to buy the cape.

#39 SolarStar

SolarStar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:13 AM

update:
I have 260 emu and I made 120gc from selling lilacs in VD which took 4 minutes. Since 25*120=2900gc .. I need 200 minutes of harvesting just for the cape. Thats 3 hours ! and 20 minutes ! Much longer then the 40 minutes which I had in mind.

There are players who are not even online for 3 hours straight in a day..
This is not newbie friendly, plus you can die and loose the cape..
I voted : I don't know
I hope for a different solution

#40 Grendous

Grendous

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:14 PM

I don't know how long it took me but less than 2 hours at the time I had 360 emu. Flower shop doesn't give correct amount it says pays 0.50 gc for lilacs I was getting 172gc for 360.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users