•  

Buying from NPC's

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Buying from NPC's (42 member(s) have cast votes)

How should buying items from NPC's work?

1. Menu & Fields (see Summonong Control for example) (5 votes [11.90%])

Percentage of vote: 11.90%

2. If we ask for to much, reduce to what we can afford or carry (31 votes [73.81%])

Percentage of vote: 73.81%

3. I don't knoe (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Let's not worry about this now (3 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

5. Leave it as it is (3 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

Where do you think this would be in the priorities?

1. Very hot, we need it right away (2 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

2. Important, before Attribute/Combat changes (2 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

3. Not very important, wait till after Attribute/Combat changes (16 votes [38.10%])

Percentage of vote: 38.10%

4. Get to it eventually, lots of other things need changing first (21 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

5. I don't know (1 votes [2.38%])

Percentage of vote: 2.38%

Vote

#1 Aislinn

Aislinn

• PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:45 PM

This is a relatively minor issue but it annoys me no end.
I'd like to see the NPC's buy options changed so that if the options are Buy 1 5 10 20 50 100 500 (or whatever they are), and you have say 479 emu left, you can click on 500 and you will automatically buy however many of that item will fill your 479 available slots or emu.

I am so tired of having to click "100" 4 times, then 50, then 20, then 5, then 1 four times.  Or just get 400 and waste the space to save the time.

*Sponsored Poll*
sponsored by LuciferX

Edited by Learner, 30 October 2012 - 07:02 AM.
added poll sponsorship

#2 Koss

Koss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:01 PM

+1

Should also exhaust your gold coins in your inventory if you don't have enough.  To use your example ... If you have enough to buy 479 of an item and you click 500 instead of it saying "You don't have enough money." or whatever it says, it should instead use all the available gc you have to buy as close as it can to get you how many you wanted to buy.

#3 Infamous

Infamous

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:06 PM

good idea, it's annoying as hell to click different options multiple times

#4 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2732 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:45 PM

Yes, it's annoying, but think about a miss click you might spend too much by accident. I don't think this is a bad idea, just think about it.

#5 malameo

malameo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:23 PM

make the easy buy 479 to fill inv/use gc, but also make confirmation of buy? how many times you clicked wrong ess or wrong arrows or wrong pot and didn't notice because name was almost the same

#6 Aislinn

Aislinn

• PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:38 PM

View PostLearner, on 19 September 2012 - 05:45 PM, said:

Yes, it's annoying, but think about a miss click you might spend too much by accident. I don't think this is a bad idea, just think about it.
I've thought about it for 9 years. :P

#7 Korrode

Korrode

• PipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationMelburn, Strayamate.

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:30 AM

A dialogue box so u can enter the amount u want to buy solves everything :P

#8 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:37 AM

I don't disagree with OP, or Korrode, as (imho) both make valid points, however, the features would seem to relate to client development as opposed to server. I guess a couple of questions arise from this :

1) If the features aren't going to be part of the official el client, then this will obviously require a fork. Is that what is intended ? or are OL dev requirements somehow going to be factored into the official client ? If neither, then the value of further discussion seems moot.

2) On the assumption that it is intended to have an OL client fork (no bad thing imho), then who's responsibility will it be to code such new features?

3) On the assumption that Learner cannot code the entire community wishlist, and his available time is arguably best directed at server side issues, doesn't the community have a responsibility to try and help itself when it comes to development that anyone can undertake? Not everyone has experience of coding, but now could be a good time to learn.

#9 groomsh

groomsh

• PipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:12 AM

Why not take a different approach ?
Combine "storage view" with "trade view" and "inventory view" and use that instead of current dialog NPC.

On left side open inventory and under it your trade window part.
On right side open storage like view with only items the NPC sells and under it it's trade window part.

You can now pick from NPC's storage view - this will place items under it to the trade window part.
In your trade window part, the gc needed to buy the items will be automaticaly adjusted.
Next you can place items (filtered by what the NPC buys) into your trade window part and your gc in the trade will be updated according to the price of items.

And the "NPC trade window" will contain "Buy" "Cancel" buttons ...

Something like this (i have not bothered to make the border ;))

Posted Image

In this example you buy 8 pieces of vegetables and 40gc is automatically inserted into trade, removing from your total coins in inventory.

On hover over the items in the "NPC storage" part, something like "buy: 5 gc, sell: 0.5 gc" should be displayed to tell the buying/selling price.
In the blue area you could write your amount (by default when initiating the NPC trade it would be inherited from your current invemtory value).
The load information should be update according to items being in trade.
I've added another category in the "NPC storage" category listing - "All Items"  - that would contain all sold items.
Only items which the NPC buys AND are in your inventory would be displayed in the "inventory" part of the window (the one to the left).

#10 Korrode

Korrode

• PipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationMelburn, Strayamate.

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:41 AM

View Postthemuntdregger, on 20 September 2012 - 04:37 AM, said:

I don't disagree with OP, or Korrode, as (imho) both make valid points, however, the features would seem to relate to client development as opposed to server. I guess a couple of questions arise from this :

1) If the features aren't going to be part of the official el client, then this will obviously require a fork. Is that what is intended ?
Since even just changing which x-attribs are affected by which b-attrbis requires a fork (unless we're ok with the client 'lying'), then a fork is pretty inevitable anyway.

#11 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

Groomsh's idea for the an NPC trade window seems rather neat, and a definite improvement over the present. The only (minor) suggestion i'd make is for the window to maybe incorporate an area for an appropriate NPC character message. If a client fork is inevitable, the new window might also be an opportunity to review the window cosmetics and provide a distinct OL visual.

#12 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

i really like to see more visual shop like the concept groomsh made, it is neat.

#13 Aislinn

Aislinn

• PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

Unless I am totally misunderstanding the point, it just looks way too busy and distracting for the issue at hand.
If I want to buy 500 potions, I don't care what else he's got.  I just want to get them and get out.

Also that would be way too big of a window.

#14 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:55 AM

pictures in the shop is better tho

#15 Elveron

Elveron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

What if the NPC was just smart enough to know what the maximum you could buy of an item was and could offer that as an option? Say you click through the menu...
(1) Buy (2) Sell
"1"
(1) Eggs (2) Butter (3) Milk
"2"
(1) 1 (2) 2 (3) 5 (4) 10 ... (8) 436
"8"
Great! You bought 436 butter!

#16 Trojan_Knight

Trojan_Knight

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

View PostKorrode, on 20 September 2012 - 01:30 AM, said:

A dialogue box so u can enter the amount u want to buy solves everything :P

Or a confirmation box ;)

+1 for idea

#17 Torg

Torg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:57 AM

View PostAislinn, on 20 September 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

Unless I am totally misunderstanding the point, it just looks way too busy and distracting for the issue at hand.
<snip>
Also that would be way too big of a window.

I agree that the interface is too busy, but that can be cleaned up. I'm not sure we need the left items list, unless we implement some sort of barter system for NPC's, and as themuntdregger mentioned, if nothing else it needs space for an NPC message.

View PostAislinn, on 20 September 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

If I want to buy 500 potions, I don't care what else he's got.  I just want to get them and get out.

I'm actually wondering if this interface might actually be faster. Rather than having to click on "Buy", then "<item>", then "<amount>" and each time wait for the window to update, you could just select the item, type in a price and be done.

View Postscarr, on 20 September 2012 - 10:55 AM, said:

pictures in the shop is better tho
+1

2) On the assumption that it is intended to have an OL client fork (no bad thing imho), then who's responsibility will it be to code such new features?
I would like to think it would follow a similar model to that of EL where the client is open-source and anyone is free to change the code and provide patches. I'm sure we could assemble a team that is able to review patches provided by the community and make whatever necessary changes need to happen to implement new features and then commit those accepted changes into the client.

3) On the assumption that Learner cannot code the entire community wishlist, and his available time is arguably best directed at server side issues, doesn't the community have a responsibility to try and help itself when it comes to development that anyone can undertake? Not everyone has experience of coding, but now could be a good time to learn.
As far as I recall, the NPC interface can't be sent an "amount" figure, which is why we didn't implement a textbox into the client for NPC windows. If this is the case then the changes need to be made both in the client and the server.

View Postthemuntdregger, on 20 September 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

If a client fork is inevitable, the new window might also be an opportunity to review the window cosmetics and provide a distinct OL visual.
Yeah, I had already thought about some changes to the window system. If nothing else a slightly different colour scheme to make it more uniquely ours.

#18 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:47 PM

I like the auto adjust amount......great idea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users