4 replies to this topic

#1 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

I'd like to suggest a few ideas for creating more dynamic quests. I know there are more pressing changes at the moment, but i would like to put these ideas down while there still fresh in my mind.

At the moment, quests are very simplistic even though they are supposed to be more in dpeth than "kill 10 rats". The key issues with the quest at the moment are:
  • Repetitive.
  • No variables or anything to really tackle guides.
  • The core aspects of the quests are quite basic, e.g. break this armour set, speak to these NPCs, kill this, etc.
  • There is no reason to return to NPC generally after a quest.
  • Nothing (realy) to prevent people from just clicking straight through the majority of text.
  • Coords are almost always unchanging.
Generally, most of these point make quest quite uninteresting or just an exercise to get extra exp. So, i propose, when i comes to redesigning quests, is that we make the NPCs dynamic. The NPCs quest varies slightly in response to what dialougue options you choose, with no chance to pcik up a different variation till you complete this variation. Or make your conversation with NPCs change depending on who you met so far, e.g. if you meet Giovanni after the Sherrif of Corren (can't remember his name atm) you get different response than vice versa. This would make everybodies game different, but obviously more strenious on NPC writers. As for text skipping, if each encounter is unique to a person (or closish) then it makes guides slightly less appealling, and might make people appreciate the NPC writers dialogues more. And the fact the conversation differs on your reactions and who you met, you have more to gain from returning to an NPC to find out more about the lands.

An other idea i have is why not make NPCs move, within a small area? Do people really stay fixed to one area, and never move? nope. Obviously, Shop NPC should really move, nor the school teachers, storages, priests or the wraith. But every other NPC doesn't really need to be stuck to one spot. It makes doing quests by coords a little more lengthy, and gives the game a larger feeling of life at the quiet times of the day. I'm sure some Ant code/guard bot code could be recycled to produce an NPC that walks around in a certain area and stop when questioned by a player(s).

Greater variety within the quests could be the usual things like kill XXXX, break XXXX, find XXXX to the most complicated current quests such as harv/use XXXX within the confined time between XXXX and XXXX. But we could add some quests that require player interaction, such to give a certain amount of funds to a newbie (got the idea from an ther game i play) or to slay a boss or track down an kill the last mob in the invasion. You could also have speed quests, such as one where you complete a list of certain tasks, and if completed, a reward is given out, and extra time given to other players doing this universal competitive quest (this is one of the biggest attractions of an other online game a i play). You could always have exploring quests, where you must discover dungeons whos entrance change randomly ever day (could be to use a coin one day and be using a skull the next) and recovering an artifact (thats untradable, visible item).

It would also be nice to get a new set of quests to EL, with quests being started at NPCs that have been chosen with a bit more quest (not like the newbie break quest situated by SKF entrance, i mean, why?). A redesign of Newbie Tutorial would be a nice thing to do as well, something more engrossing, putting important and most widely used skills first. for example:
  • The Laws (you need this, as so many miss the important ones like multiplay, and say scamming isnt illegal, as those two catch too many out)

• How to speak - say hello (or anything) on @1

• Fight - engage newbie tutorial in battle (make him weaker than rabbit, but infinite HP) and dissengage. (If you cant disengage, and newbie tutorial gets you to 10 HP, he'll dis, then heal you, if you eligible to be healed)

• Harvest - Newbie tutorial needs some plants to create some potions for newbies (harvest various flowers, but put in a sensible order, rather than one on one side, then on other side then on the first side of the island)

• Mixing - newbie tutorial would like you to mix a set of fire essences to keep the signal fire lit.

• Eating - Newbie gives you some bread, and a minor healing potion, and you must eat/drink both (he goes on to explain that lower level potions give you a vial back)

• Navigating - Deliver some ale to the tavern on IP, deliver a DE to Kayne on his boat and finally deliver a book (journal) to the reporter in votd (teaches use of mini map)

• Schools - Sends you to alch tutorial (try to give a little extra incentive for them, since its a long, unattractive walk to the NPC). and do first part.

• Gods - Go speak to Aluwen, Glillin and Elandrias priests and learn of the gods.
Other things such as death, shops, etc. can be popup windows, from the ghostly, far away voice of the wraith.

Obviously these are all just ideas, and i have no idea how difficcult the implications would be.

Please give your ideas :P

#2 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:29 AM

For first I dont think we can not get quest like kill 10 rats/rabbits then bring me 10 furs

Would be nice to create quests ranks ,so task like kill 20 wolfs is rank 1

For Highest rank I could suggests so much complex quest,time-consuming and giving great reward,no?

Also group kinds of quest like:

gc as reward
exp as reward
allow to use/enter   something/anywhere
other specials

#3 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

Um... i was suggesting to reduce the basic, forgettable quests. And the ranks idea is effectively in place. Most quest rewards are based on rough time they expect it to be completed and that is usually through its complexity...

gc rewards are gained via quests like tutorial, exp from most quests, wizards passage used to unlock an area (in effect)...

#4 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:33 AM

Anyway,changing something in much is complex because we are not sure what will come to game/what leave it...
I guess that quests subject is important,we should think few times till we set something for long

#5 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:02 AM

Obviously, if were going to implement new maps, questors must come afterwards, but thought it was worth a brainstorm. Its always interesting what variations people have thought of for such things.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: quests, new, idea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users