15 replies to this topic

#1 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:40 PM

Should we ban character selling, in addition to GC selling, which currently is banned.

Opinions please, and some poll questions? If it looks like people want it banned, i shall pay for a poll.

I personally want it banned outright, all people who traded characters before the start of any poll, if it happens, should keep their purchases though.

#2 GypsyNomad

GypsyNomad

• PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:51 PM

The problem will be whether or not you could tell if someone bought another players char. Believe it or not there are some players here that don't tell the whole truth. Well, hell for that matter, don't even tell half truths.

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck"
Dalai Lama

#3 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

Yes, but wouldn't it be fairly obvious to their guildies, and tbh the rest of the game. Its irregular to get someone with a lower char buying a higher char and having the same skill as the one who got that char to its high levels.

Also, if a high level char suddenly comes to another known players IP address, wouldn't you be able to auto lock it with a message to PM L on forums. OR just notifies Learner, and he can question the people.

Also people tend to talk in different patterns, and if their quieter, then it kind of sends up red flags.

#4 GypsyNomad

GypsyNomad

• PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:07 PM

Yes on the 2nd part Learner could find out. But the  first part is basically back to telling the truth. If your guild is base on lies and deception NO one in their own  guild will ever say anything and even say, "No, he/she is the same player"... But your right Learner could find out real quick

#5 Nova

Nova

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:04 PM

I think there should at least be some sort of effort to make character buying/selling/trading taboo.  A lot of people will not do something that they should not do, if it's known that they should not do it.  Just because it can't all be stopped 100% of the time doesn't mean you can't at least try.

I dislike the idea of 'unnaturally' levelled characters that are able to get leaps and bounds ahead because multiple people have spent hours and hours on end training them.  A lot of the time the complaint of being bored with the game comes from people who buy ready made characters and bypass the levelling part of playing.

Playing through the game to get to the higher levels should be an enjoyable part of the game.  If people want to buy their way into higher levels because the lower levels are boring, or painful, or 'unprofitable', that is something that should be addressed or at the very least discussed eventually.

#6 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:30 AM

Joy is in the progression of reaching your next goal in a game. Games are for most of the time, not fun, but you dont notice that, as you try to get to your next goal and do that next "great" thing. But anyway, a tuturial thats immersive rather than passive would be good to get people more inclined to stay, but that would require a complete rehaul of IP imo.

But making it taboo would be good, by say, people just not trading to them, or player enforced fines or hits. That would be benificial if something like what i said above would happen, because it would reduce Learner being spammed. I think a mixture of the two would be good.

#7 samson

samson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationMichigan USA

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:02 AM

And of course if we banned selling characters all ya rich kids that bought your high level characters are just going to turn them in and give them up right?

#8 Nova

Nova

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:08 AM

LOL games aren't fun?  Then why call them games?

#9 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:06 AM

sorry, but usually half the time your not having fun. The fun comes from overcoming the difficulties. Obviously this applies to older games much more than newer games. Actually comes from an article i read some years ago.

samson - ofc they won't, and you completely missed the meaning of everything i said. Afaik, only hexa/WL as far as i know have been successfully sold off and used much. Best to target the issue before it becomes rife like in EL.

• an activity that one engages in for amusement:
    a computer game
    the equipment for a game, especially a board game or a computer game:
    buy your games and software from us
For amusement, amusement comes from challenge. Play any arcade game and you see what i mean.
A game is in the pursuit of pleasure, not in the act of being lavished with praise from software.

Anyhows, i wonder how much harder it would be on L tracking illegal character sells compared to illegal gc sales?

#10 Nova

Nova

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:08 AM

Now think of the arcade game, in how many of them do you spend 80% of your time sitting doing 'nothing'?  Of course the amusement is in the challenge, but as it is, harving/mixing holds no challenge and is the same thing over and over and over.  Right now the only fun part of harving/mixing is finding/making rares.  Why not consider something that livens things up?  Some mini games to play while harving to determine how many ores you walk away with or something along those lines.  Something to make the game more interactive for the 'sitting' skills.

#11 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2732 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:16 AM

Adding things to make it more challenging to make harvest/mixing more fun can also drive away more players. Very careful consideration needs to be done about pro's & con's on anything proposed. Maybe if item Quality is added you could opt-in to the additional 'fun' things for a chance to increase the quality of what you produce?

#12 Bat17

Bat17

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

Make me more interactive and I will not have time to read the forums!

#13 Nova

Nova

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:43 PM

lol crap.  pretend i said that last thing on the gypsum thread.  posted half asleep this morning.

#14 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:53 PM

lol. I think I'll quote you, put it on gypsum thread and reply to it. In the meantime...

Opinions on Character buying, pros/cons that sort of thing please. I'd like some poll option ideas. I was thinking along the lines of...
Should We Ban Character Buying/Selling?
  • Yes, Ban It All, Effective Immediately
  • Yes, But Only With RL Currency
  • No, But Any Traded Characters Should Be Announced To Community
  • Not At All
  • Don't Know
I thought of Yes, Ban It All, Effective Retrospectively, but that'd be unfair to those who got their chars months ago, and have played daily/frequently. Would be treating active players to a punishment for a rule they could not do provisions for.

#15 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:05 PM

Personally, I don't much care for char buying/selling and, I can understand the frustration (in EL) of players who work hard to achieve something with their char, only to be leapfrogged by some nub who's just bought an uber-char. Whilst I think char buying/selling doesn't directly damage the game, I believe it does encourages practices that can cause an awful lot of damage.

I'll admit my evidence is anecdotal but, it seems logical to expect someone who'd rather pay $$$ than level their own chars to then be more likely to want to buy black market gold than grind it. In this respect, it's the black market for gold that (imho) causes the real damage by incentivising practices such as gold farming, macroing, multi-trading which we know can cause significant damage.  However, the problem is not just the damage, but the fact that such activities are difficult and time consuming to detect (particularly when the perpetrators are organised and determined).

Simply banning something won't deter people when there's a significant commercial motivation to do it. All you end up doing is driving it underground which, then only serves to increase the incidents of paypal scams. In any case, the right of ppl to trade their time for money is a fairly fundamental aspect of common law jurisprudence in all western democracies and forms part of one of the European Union's directives to all member states. It's therefore necessary to consider whether its really worth the pain trying to ban something that can't be stopped and where you may be on dubious legal ground by attempting to do so.

All that said, I still don't like char buying/selling. After all, a char isn't levelled by someone in isolation to others. Everyone relies on a whole economy of players to make stuff for them, buy stuff from them, etc etc. In other words, it takes the whole community to help make a char, for which we then get .......zip when that char is sold. All we are left with is the frustration, the mudflation and another damn nub parading around in delusions of grandeur. That seems to me, at least, as distinctly unfair.

If the game was to get "something" back each time char changed hands then I guess I might feel slightly less aggrieved by it. I'd feel even less aggrieved if it reduced the incentive to gold farmers, dissuaded the macroers and put the paypal scammers out of business. However, i'd suggest that the only way to do that is if the community takes control away from the black market by managing both the char and gold market itself.

I know that's unlikely to be a popular suggestion (I don't like it much either). However, I put it forward only because it may be significantly more effective and beneficial than banning.

PS: for a wonderful example of what happens when you try and post on this subject in EL - http://www.eternal-l...topic=56103&hl=

#16 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:56 AM

Munts point, as usual, is very well formulated. I think it might be best to deter it as a community then, instead of as official moderation, so maybe the "No, but Trades should be announced" would be better. Not banned, why go underground? A few people will stop trading with you, but that can be circumvented, though inconveniently, by a friend, as is the system in EL for scammers.

I would comment on EL link but im on a computer which heavily censors anything with the word game on its pages, and still impressed OL Forums aren't blocked.

Ok had a look at EL one, and I see what your talking about. Always wondered why people would tend to skew the OP topic to another problem they dislike. Many pointless, unhelpful or stupid posts as well. Still puzzled why they seemed to have editted your post. cruel.

Anyhow...

Character trading in EL is at the same stage as Guns in america, People have got so used to having them, and become so ordinary to them, it doesnt occur to them why to change it, and if they did, their is no logical or sensible way to stop it, without it going underground.

But here, we have a fresh server, fresh characters, and some fresh people. Take advantage of the fact that RuneScape/World Of Warcraft/etc. ban character/gold selling, and try and get by on people expecting such standards. Those who slip through the cracks could be caught through a combination of code and players. Once flagged up, can be administered to as multi playing is.

Interesting though, Popeyes post is abosutley 100% incorrect. Videogames are sold to people, are pixels. It is the basis of ingame micro transaction shops. No difference. And iirc, in some eastern countries, if you delete a character "illegally", then you can face jail sentences, because people spend so much time and money on them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: character, selling, buying

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users