• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Haku

Haku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:34 PM

Bug: The vial mold icon looks like a carrot.

Proposed fix: Change the icon to something that looks like a mold for a vial.

I modified the arrow mold to be used as an intermediate fix until someone with real gfx skill does the proper fix. The PNG is how my version looks like, the zip contains the updated texture file "items17.dds".

Edit: Updated the icon to show a smaller shape.

Attached Files

#2 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:59 PM

Not a bug mate...always been a carrot thanks to lazyness :P
that mold looks like a pot, if you like ill give go at making a vial mold icon later.
and just as side not:
vial molds are hollow objects, therefore you need a 3 part mold at least, a cyllinder for the hollow space, and 2 half cyllinders, and some sort of tong thing for manual compression. just an idea for update one.

Also, if we're doing this, what do we want for the lettuce/matter conglometers?

#3 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2661 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:09 PM

Plus, you should NOT change the carrot, instead add the icon to an empty icon slot.

#4 Haku

Haku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:06 PM

View Postbutler, on 23 February 2014 - 02:59 PM, said:

Not a bug mate...always been a carrot thanks to lazyness :P
"Always has been like that" does not count - bugs are bugs, even if they are there from the start.

that mold looks like a pot, if you like ill give go at making a vial mold icon later.
I would apreciate that. Did it like i did, because lacking the gfx skill to do better.
And i know about the hollow object problem. There was just no three-part mold to reuse ;)
Updated shape to be slimmer.

Also, if we're doing this, what do we want for the lettuce/matter conglometers?
I do not know about matter conglometers. Got a vial mold some days ago and decided to fix that because it annoyed me. Well i am the only one annoyed by that anyway - i guess after looking at the replies to my report...

View PostLearner, on 23 February 2014 - 03:09 PM, said:

Plus, you should NOT change the carrot, instead add the icon to an empty icon slot.
Please tell me, how. Editing item_info.txt did not work and grepping did not reveal other locations.

Is the source code of the client available somewhere?

#5 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2661 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:09 PM

What icon is shown is under the server control, for testing purposes you can change the carrot, but it should be in a new unused icon slot once you're done. Then if the players like it, we can push the .dds out via auto-update and change the server setting for the new icon ID.

#6 Haku

Haku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:26 PM

View PostLearner, on 23 February 2014 - 05:09 PM, said:

What icon is shown is under the server control, for testing purposes you can change the carrot, but it should be in a new unused icon slot once you're done. Then if the players like it, we can push the .dds out via auto-update and change the server setting for the new icon ID.
Hmm, to do a proper "just need to copy files" patch, i would need read access to the source repositories for client and server then.
Any chance i could get that?

Edit: almost forgot to add the zip with newly assigned item slot 673 in items27.dds

Attached Files

#7 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2661 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

View PostHaku, on 23 February 2014 - 05:26 PM, said:

View PostLearner, on 23 February 2014 - 05:09 PM, said:

Hmm, to do a proper "just need to copy files" patch, i would need read access to the source repositories for client and server then.
Any chance i could get that?

Edit: almost forgot to add the zip with newly assigned item slot 673 in items27.dds
That items27.dds file is twice the size of all the other icon files and Gimp refuses to open it. That means it's either not a .dds file or it's been saved differently then the others.

#8 Haku

Haku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

View PostLearner, on 23 February 2014 - 05:43 PM, said:

That items27.dds file is twice the size of all the other icon files and Gimp refuses to open it. That means it's either not a .dds file or it's been saved differently then the others.
Dont know why its that huge size. 17 was twice the size also, but worked in my client. I use gimp to create a tga and then imagemagic to convert it to dds.

#9 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2661 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:05 PM

There is a Gimp .DDS import/Export add on available so you don't have to go through image magic. That's what I use for opening all the .dds files myself.

#10 Haku

Haku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

Used the GIMP plugin with BC1/DXT1 compression and its only 33KiB now. Tested items17.dds in client, attached item27.dds-version.

Attached Files

#11 Fantastika

Fantastika

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationLietuva

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:56 AM

you did nice Haku :) coz yes, carrot as vial mold makes no sense :)

#12 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:58 AM

Btw, if i work on replacing the lettuce/carrot, is there anything else that i should do, such as make a special inv item for degrade version (since that pisses me off that its not visible.

Also, i think if i make mold (will try later this week cause im swamped with work) i will make them orange just as a reference to their good old days as being one of your five a day.

Also when i said it wasnt a bug, it isnt. its just laziness in the art department. Not that i dont fully recognise the time spent on them the textures etc by roja.

#13 Makiltur

Makiltur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:24 AM

When re-designing it might be useful to keep in mind that this mold, unlike most of the others, is made of titanium instead of gypsum. SHINY XD. EFEs are orange though so... shiny orange carrot?

#14 StarDark

StarDark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:07 PM

Any update on this?

#15 Hades

Hades

• PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:04 AM

yes, loads

#16 sirdan

sirdan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationNaples Florida

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:51 AM

Necro reviving the thread but....

Posted Image

#17 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:18 AM

Nice Dan.

(really feel bad saying this now after the nice work people done on it, but...) a thought just occurred to me. Wouldn't this be done by blowing and rolling glass?

#18 sirdan

sirdan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationNaples Florida

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:47 PM

View Postbutler, on 16 January 2015 - 11:18 AM, said:

Nice Dan.

(really feel bad saying this now after the nice work people done on it, but...) a thought just occurred to me. Wouldn't this be done by blowing and rolling glass?

google says glass can be cast so a mold would be feasible. Sure you could blow it but in mass production that is unrealistic.

#19 Kyndor

Kyndor

• PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationNY, NY

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:36 AM

Hating to say this given the work people have put into this, but that icon looks to me like a used condom . . .
Maybe taking Makiltur's suggestion and changing the color/making it metalic would improve it.
(will try to avoid thinking about the ramifications this post will have on the way ppl see the carrot).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users