#21 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1197 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:14 PM

right thats interesting.
would be nice for some of the bugs to be fixed and make some tools (like grid) better integrated.

#22 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1197 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:19 AM

Update
  • Added Centrepiece, Clocktower under construction
  • Added a few more tiles around boat
  • Added weapons implanted in boat.
  • Cleaned up some of what was already existing
  • found the only good use for an igloo.
Clocktower
Posted Image
Posted Image
Just Overview Of Object Placement
Posted Image
Overview of map so far.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:45 AM

i think those bricks will lag u hard @ clock tower lol

i made a small dungeon with bricked walls, and it lagged hard

#24 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1197 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:24 AM

Thought it would be worth trying.
will see when i get a bit further on and get on test, got a backup plan.
and if all else fails blender :P

but i think the igloo is working :P

#25 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1197 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

another update:
  • Removed the clock. (it was lagging the map maker, like hell it would work in game :P, still widened my eyes to possibilities.)
  • Added Ferryman's Arena opposite Eastport (PK arena)
  • Added an East exit by land to a map I'll make in the future.
  • Did some touches on the burning boat (PK area)
  • Figuring out where to place sto/market stalls to make the best effect without making other maps obsolete, but keeping it competitive.
  • Starting to worry about possibility of spawns (very little looks like it will be grassy)
Here's the overviews of all that's done so far.
Overviews
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ferryman's Arena
Posted Image
Posted Image

Will connect up the North east with the true east, do a little on Eastport and put in all walkable tiles, then see about the test server (will need .def file :/)

also for those with mapmaker to have a closer look: aanewfc.elm.gz Still the Citadel Map, just "aa" so i can find it quicker in the map directory, and "newfc" so it stays seperate to the old Flying citadel file.
Just be wary:
  • I've basically deleted all walkable tiles except for Norport, which I'm probably going to completely delete (all walkable tiles, not the actual map bit) so i can recentre the ships to fit the grid better.
  • Still quite a few rough edges in the "detailed" parts to iron out.
  • Eastport and the area up to the boat are basically vacant atm.

#26 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1197 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

Big update.
  • surrounded all of the city with the protective wall
  • Defined the 3 (major) islands and 1 islet.
  • Added a merchants railway.
  • Chosen a spot for the palace.
  • made a 2 part drawbridge for railway.
  • Added lights to the port.
Basically the entire map has progressed a lot.
Posted Image

Eastport (Think it may be renamed to go with the city as Uasal)
Posted Image

Palace Isthmus
Posted Image

Has anybody got some suggestions or ideas they think might be nice for making up the city?

Also what's needed to test the map on the server? just walkable tiles added in or?

#27 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2120 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:58 PM

To test a map on the server, I need at a minimum a map name, coordinates to tport into, and the .elm file.

#28 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:13 PM

Looking good! Where the mine carts are see if you can make like a 'bottomless pit' sort of thing for the mining area. Just a weird thought.

#29 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1197 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:28 AM

Mine carts at the moment on the Isthmus is that it's carrying resources to the Patricians Palace. I don't think I'll have much harvestables in the map but a few scattered plants, and maybe some minerals hidden around in mine carts or other spots. It looks like it'll end up being pretty urban.

View PostLearner, on 04 May 2014 - 03:58 PM, said:

To test a map on the server, I need at a minimum a map name, coordinates to tport into, and the .elm file.
What happens if Iack walkable tiles (since there are very few in it), and how do you obtain the coords in the map maker?

Also, added Jailblock to a small police station (which has been there for a while), as well as the traditionally cruel hangmans, using the traditional stool (before the trap door was invented) and an axe's block. Also added the palace walls.

Posted Image

Edited by butler, 05 May 2014 - 06:04 AM.

#30 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2120 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:58 AM

If I remember properly the X,Y coordinates from the map maker for positioning need to be multiplied by two, and that area and tiles around it must have had their height set.

#31 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1197 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:18 PM

Camera_x/_y positions are given in decimals, so I assume it'll round up/nearest. I'll do a little look into it. I think I'll just add some walkable tiles and connect all the bits and give you what you need.

#32 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1197 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:44 AM

[75,105] [9,69]
It has no walkable tiles.
aanewfc.elm.gz

A little addition was done down on the southern island.
Posted Image

Edited by butler, 09 May 2014 - 02:31 PM.

#33 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1197 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:35 PM

[9,69]
Walkable tiles soley in Norport & Warren Island, From The Isthmus, To The Palace Gates, To The Map Edge, and In Ferryman's arena (not the bystanders bit).
The Flying Citadel ßeta

test map 0 : ./maps/c0/bb_goldmine.elm : BB Goldmine
test map 1 : ./maps/c0/deadwood.elm : Deadwood
test map 2 : ./maps/c0/isleofthelife.elm : Isle of the Life
test map 3 : ./maps/c0/isleofdestiny.elm : Isle of Destiny
test map 4 : ./maps/c0/forelandofsailors2.elm : Foreland of Sailors2
test map 5 : ./maps/c0/greenenclave.elm : Green Enclave
test map 6 : ./maps/c0/greenenclave_cave.elm : Green Enclave Cellar
test map 7 : ./maps/c0/underground1.elm : Fire Underground
test map 8 : ./maps/c0/neiva.elm : Neiva
test map 9 : ./maps/c0/castle_inside.elm : Castle Insides Test
test map 10 : ./maps/c0/grillis1.elm : Grillis1
test map 11 : ./maps/c0/wildswamps.elm : Wild Swamps
test map 12 : ./maps/c0/northland.elm : Northland
test map 14 : ./maps/c0/mainlandforest01.elm : Mainland Forest
test map 14 : ./maps/c0/thoridaltropics.elm : Thoridal Tropics
test map 16 : ./maps/c0/aanewfc.elm : The Flying Citadel
Umm... you can't teleport, there's no nearby open location

That's when i tried to load the map, it just keeps sending me to the empty map :P

Edited by butler, 11 May 2014 - 11:48 AM.

#34 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1197 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:54 AM

Ok found some problems while my map was on the server, and they were pretty good things to find out. Also took some screenies of the map so you can see it on a scale compared to your character (Which is far more obvious from the test server.)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#35 ohmygod

ohmygod

• PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:52 AM

Can we get some harvestables that are close to a storage? :)

#36 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2120 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:27 AM

View Postohmygod, on 11 May 2014 - 07:52 AM, said:

No

#37 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1197 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:47 AM

View PostLearner, on 11 May 2014 - 08:27 AM, said:

No
No

Trojan_Knight after this post gave a very good discussion why.

Next note, put some objects in the rather sparse courtyard as well as fixed the height mapping ( I think). Once I've done a bit more height mapping and adding connections on the map, maybe we could put up the updated version on the test server.

Anybody who wants to try out the map on the test server should pm me either ingame or on the forums their email, and I will send you the copy of the test server map. I'm unable to upload it to wikisend.

EDIT: There's been quite a bit more added (thought some of it is suspect imo) so hopefully L will allow me to test this new odd bit, and then ill do some major updates till next big test.

Edited by butler, 11 May 2014 - 11:03 AM.

#38 ohmygod

ohmygod

• PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

View Postbutler, on 11 May 2014 - 08:47 AM, said:

View PostLearner, on 11 May 2014 - 08:27 AM, said:

No
No

Trojan_Knight after this post gave a very good discussion why.

View PostTrojan_Knight, on 07 October 2012 - 11:40 AM, said:

View PostLearner, on 07 October 2012 - 09:40 AM, said:

I never like the idea of one stop shop for harvesting.

Me either, I feel it makes the "search" for those items less of a adventure for players and it also causes maps to lose its function by not forcing players to explore a map so to speak. Also the one stop shop for harvesting would impact mixers to allow a overly easy way to haul just food & tools to mix at one location for all supplies needed to make X item. I try to avoid these types of scenario's as much as possible when I make a map. This way everyone is happy (players, mods, etc). Now when I make secret rooms or bonus rooms or the alike. I may toss a couple of items near each other, so that there is less of a walk because its a bonus room/secret room persey. Though over all I try to format maps in a way so that the functionality with harvestables doesn't force either a map re-do and so that it is still a fun experience for the players.

Plus with being a alch/fighter type of player on this type of game. I was forced to find a way to be able to afford my fighting. Alch did that for me in EL. Even though I've forgotten some imput on combat, when I make a map I think with a harvesting area being created I think to myself 3 things. 1 Does this area seem to easy for harvesting/mixing? 2 if yes then I remove some harvestable types, if no I move onto next. 3 How significicantly would the walk to storage impact these being harvested. This way I dont place harvestables directly on top of storages. I try to not become any closer then this example as a self minimal req "No closer then the mums in Nordcarn to sto".

:)

How is this a good disscusion? haha

I have been harvesting for nearly a month now. I am forced to, in order to obtain raw materials to make items so i can use to restock my storage for next soft reset..

My actual play time for this month i think is way less than normal because I just fall asleep from boredom when harvesting. As a player who is currently harvesting I find the EL style requirement/game mechanics to harvest a deteriment to my enjoyment of the game on a Single Character.

Why do i ask if (Useful) harvestables will be in "one stop shop" on map? Harvesting is like getting teeth extracted you want to get it over and done with quick is how i think of it, It is painful but nesassary. To take this question a step even further, as there is already double harvest spot precidents within OL on main server with no side effects , Why not add Double harvest ores and minerals that are actually useful in game raw materials.

If its about forcing me to walk to 5 differnt places on the map to "explore" or get raw materials to make one item then that sucks balls. If you want me to explore the map send me on a quest to do that then give me access to onestop shop harvesting location maybe?

Oh no the markets will callaspe!!!
What markets? and if someone want to harvest 10000000 ores because thats fun for them then let them, would save me harvesting them and I maybe as a potential buyer would get a decent deal. At the moment we have only a few players setting prices for top end items. Ores are even the same prices as EL with changes we have here in OL with carry and back packs there must be something wrong. One would assume prices would be going down.

I am just a member of the current player base who at this stage is in for the long run,but sometimes I think we need to look a bit further than EL for inspiration. High five for the great work and changes implemented in game already.

However there is a bottle neck in the personal restocking of my storage and thats the "harvesting Mind set" that says i need to spend hours/days/months/years harvesting raw materials because thats what they did in EL. I have not even mentioned the manu/alch/pot/cra mevhanics and raw material requirements, food CDs or even enriched ess chance, because i really do like the friendly player base and just keep comming back to chat and play.

my 5cents
Omg

PS looks like nice map

#39 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:31 AM

I agree with omg about how dull harvesting is. I know..I have done it non-stop for months on end with my harvest shop. Also quoted from you omg "harvesting is like getting teeth extracted, you want to get over and done with quick" is exactly how I feel every single time I harvest an item, whether it be 1K of red snaps or 50K of emeralds. The boring harvesting side is really dull and needs some spicing up. Also the walk for such items like rubies or emeralds that are only found in one place is hell (please give more locations!!!). My suggestion on the "double harvest minerals/ores" is that every hour, a certain 'piece' of mineral/ore is 2x harvest, instead of the regular 1x harvest (note: not the 'whole group, just 1 single piece') and at the start of every hour, it then randomly switches to another piece of mineral/ore. This will not only give some spice into OL harvesting, but make players actually explore OL, exploring the insides and outs to find the hourly 2x harvest piece. This will give players a better sense of knowledge about OL locations so they not only know for future, but if a newbie asks a questions about where is such and such in OL, we can just instantly say where due to previous knowledge of exploration. Just a thought...

#40 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1197 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:00 AM

Omg, I'm thinking that it would be nice if say, there were 3 iron deposits of equal distance from stos, instead of just 1, so that we don't end up with people harving in one place always. My imagination goes far past EL as well. However, I think a better way of making harvesting less dull would be to change harvesting so it is less dull, not just making it so you step out of a sto to get to your harvestables. I have complained about all you find boring, and agree with it, but I'm not going to make it so my maps are one stop spots to harv, because that really restricts where i put harvestables on the next maps so they aren't just redundant. kav, me and munt have discussed the idea of the mixing economy. Personally, i would love harvesting to be anything but a grind, as it is in 90% of the MMOs i've played. I'd love the same from mixing, and just remove industrialisation completely. But in anyway i think about it, if we change the mixing/harvesting, we NEED a character & sto wipe, which i would be in favour of once we figure out what way is the best.

I would prefer the underlining problems to be fixed, and not have to toy my map to the broken EL system. So I'm in the same house as you, notice that outside the door is a bloody ogre, but we choose to jump out different windows.

If I add 2x ores/ plants, they'll be hidden quite well, among the many other little secrets i'm trying to build in them. Also consider that I've got to think about where sto's might be on maps I haven't even made yet that will connect to the maps i'm working on.

I will add some harvestables of an equal distance or possible slightly closer to sto's, but I will not make anything that isn't too far of the standards now otherwise I'll make current map spots redundant. When we sort out economic issues to do with mixing/harvesting, I'd be happy to go over all my maps and redo them to work with any changes, and will keep private maps to help me do so.

As to why the minerals aren't cheaper here thanks to developments is part to people being used to the prices of EL & the fact that if they got cheaper, they wouldn't be in anyway worthwhile to harv.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new, map

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users