95 replies to this topic

#81 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 June 2017 - 06:16 AM

Looking good butler.   Will be fun when it is done and we can enter buildings and use stuff:)

#82 Mixi

Mixi

Newbie Forever

• Pip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:03 PM

Like the looks, but found a few issues
On my low end laptop I get very low FPS, <<15 is some areas,
  at 120,290 facing East, zoomed out and looking low, my FPS drops to 9 and movement gets very choppy
  at 260, 270 facing north with low viewing angle FPS = 13
  in general the white stones on the ground seem to lag me, under the right angle fully zoomed in I get 45 at the same location
Cannot get into the courtyard, get a message I am let in, but dont move
Cannot harvesting anything
added .dds tabmap to my dropbox for ency: https://www.dropbox....itadel.dds?dl=0 since I have no idea how to get to the development server :P

#83 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1189 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 23 June 2017 - 03:48 PM

View PostMixi, on 23 June 2017 - 01:03 PM, said:

Like the looks, but found a few issues
On my low end laptop I get very low FPS, <<15 is some areas,
  at 120,290 facing East, zoomed out and looking low, my FPS drops to 9 and movement gets very choppy
  in general the white stones on the ground seem to lag me, under the right angle fully zoomed in I get 45 at the same location
Will have a look into it.

The white stone flooring is 3D ground tiles, which is why the vast majority of the map is above the regular height maps EL generally uses. I'm not aware of any way to reduce it in places where it is predominantly just the ground tiles without a complete restructuring of the entire map. However the specific instances I will look into. Places such as the ship yard, the boat through the wall, citadel and the tower on the outer port I am aware may be pushing it.

<snip>
Cannot get into the courtyard, get a message I am let in, but dont move
Courtyard gate and every other usable object to teleport (of which there are currently 12) are all broken because I forgot to make that instruction point towards the map itself.

Will be fixed once i update .def

Cannot harvesting anything
<snip>

PK arena and harvesting have been disabled for the moment by Zian during in this version. The storage and extended harvestables will be subject to discussion later on in this process once I solve things such as lag.

I also found a couple of height mapping errors i did (gap between two levels being to much), which should be rectified in the next version.

I'm not sure when I will get the next version done, it may be a couple days before I get the time.

Thank you for the feedback.

#84 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2045 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 03:51 PM

For the lag, pay attention to the yellow & orange squares in the MapAudit image and in the Object text output, too many of those in a view can often cause lag (which is why they get listed/shown). Some by themselves usually don't cause lag but it depends on other factors as well.

#85 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1189 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 24 June 2017 - 05:37 AM

My current thoughts is I will remove the flower beds by the rich houses as that will remove a large (And not very neccessary) set of objects. an amount of the lag is due to the amount of ground tiles, however theses were done as minimally as I can, as were the buildings. My hopes that removing some of the smaller items might help solve these issues.

Also, I've noticed this isn't shown on the generated .def (though it was part of the original files)
if you go to this loc
[12:36:19] You are in The Flying Citadel The Hearth Landing of Warren, Norport and Kinuasal [120,225]
you will appear here once you enter the small boat
[12:37:26] You are in The Flying Citadel Boardings Landing and the Shanties of the Silk Sea [26,299]

#86 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2045 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:25 AM

View Postbutler, on 24 June 2017 - 05:37 AM, said:

My current thoughts is I will remove the flower beds by the rich houses as that will remove a large (And not very neccessary) set of objects. an amount of the lag is due to the amount of ground tiles, however theses were done as minimally as I can, as were the buildings. My hopes that removing some of the smaller items might help solve these issues.

Also, I've noticed this isn't shown on the generated .def (though it was part of the original files)
if you go to this loc
[12:36:19] You are in The Flying Citadel The Hearth Landing of Warren, Norport and Kinuasal [120,225]
you will appear here once you enter the small boat
[12:37:26] You are in The Flying Citadel Boardings Landing and the Shanties of the Silk Sea [26,299]
Having lots of plants in the visible space could easily help things. That was a problem with EL's WV. Most plants us transparency to better control the shape of the leaves so it doubles the work for each.

#87 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1189 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 24 June 2017 - 04:29 PM

View PostLearner, on 24 June 2017 - 10:25 AM, said:

View Postbutler, on 24 June 2017 - 05:37 AM, said:

<snip>
Having lots of plants in the visible space could easily help things. That was a problem with EL's WV. Most plants us transparency to better control the shape of the leaves so it doubles the work for each.

Yeah, that and a few slightly unneccessary ground tiles were the only thing i could reason would be visible from that distance that wouldn't have caused the issue towards the west as well.

I believe i should be able to update the map properly on monday.

Do tell me if you find any issues, specifically around the floating palace, the boat, and the shipyard

#88 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1189 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:48 AM

The new .def file has gone up on the test server, as has the new .elm
This should fix things such as usable gates, cranes and other objects across the maps, and some broken tile heights, objects creating lag spikes in certain areas and some wrongly places tiles and some visible clipping objects, as well as some 2D objects peeking outside of an object it shouldn't have.

here is the new elm file for it: alroth_theflyingcitadel.elm.gz

once again, the map is #test 48, you require this elm file, and you may wish to use this dds mapfile linked to in mixi's post

Please do tell me any issues you have, with descriptions of problems and the location.

Thank you :D

#89 BlakKat

BlakKat

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:24 PM

Not sure whether this is intended, but the server expects the map to be in c0 rather than in c1.

#90 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2045 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:41 PM

View PostBlakKat, on 27 June 2017 - 02:24 PM, said:

Not sure whether this is intended, but the server expects the map to be in c0 rather than in c1.
That is normal until the maps go live. Once they go live all the maps are moved to c1. All test maps are in c0 to reduce the chance of messing up Main until then.

#91 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1189 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:16 PM

c0 is all test maps, and i don't think it has a world location setting (such as you see the dwarven lands have, which is why they line up like they do in the global map:http://www.other-life.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1377-alroth-map/#entry16127)

I would like ask mixi and alddra (if willing) if they could test for lag issues in the map.

#92 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1189 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:54 AM

Did some testing with AlddrA, she doesn't suffer any real lag issues.

Few seams showing on white walls which I will not be able to limit by much. Found one clipping issue.

Couple shortcuts and secrets are broken, so they need to be fixed in the .def

Will likely make the rudimentary insides for the arenas inside. Will add this to the FC insides file, with the Pale Raven Tavern.

#93 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1189 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:09 PM

I have a fixed .def now for some of the tele items

I have extended the fc insides map, and hopefully with another day to work on it, i can bring the essential buildings/shops in.

Also one base house is also mostly made (will expand it).

Posted Image

Port Authority Building
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The House
Posted Image

Arena
Posted Image
Posted Image

#94 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1189 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:54 AM

Posted Image

A Prison with 52 Cells added

#95 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:35 AM

Hi Butler...how's this map progressing? Is there an FC update going to test_server soon?

Regards
Z

#96 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1189 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:58 AM

I apologise for the long delay, it's due to a combination of going over to Canada for a holiday, change in shifts in work afterwards that left me too tired to do any of that and now moving back across Scotland for university.

hopefully I'll get some things to go back up on test soon

.def files are miserable things XD

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new, map

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users