13 replies to this topic

#1 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:37 PM

I just thought it would be nice to have a shout box for little things on the forums. Obviously swears and inappropriate language should be dissallowed, but i think it would be a good thing to have by just allowing members to post on them.

so opinions.

#2 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:32 PM

yes, do it.. don't make it add to any post count tho

idk if learner will do this tbh

he hates fun :D

what if we promise him some nuts and brandy for every 1000 shouts?

#3 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:40 PM

Ofc not added to post count
would be interested if we had a "shout" count.
i can see some ridiculous but entertaining spam and shoutouts though.
good for those little things :P

#4 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1201 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

please..please do this.
I'm surprised the idea wasn't pushed through earlier. I've thought about for a few months to ask but whatever..
+1 Butler

#5 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2805 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:58 PM

Keep in mind that it would have to be one that integrates with the forums so that only approved members could use it.

Who's going to moderate it's usage to avoid some of the really fowl language that will happen? What kind of rules for it use would you want?

#6 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:15 PM

View PostLearner, on 31 March 2014 - 05:58 PM, said:

Who's going to moderate it's usage to avoid some of the really fowl language that will happen?

Here comes the duck joke............ :lol:

#7 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:53 AM

Hey, we are all consenting adults here aren't we

#8 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2805 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:05 AM

But there are many adults that don't want to be seeing the sort of activity that can occur there. Which is why discussions related to whats permissible etc is required.

#9 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

View Postscarr, on 01 April 2014 - 09:53 AM, said:

Hey, we are all consenting adults here aren't we
Depends. There are some children that use these boards, and as we get more players, a greater number of them will be floating about the forums. Also, you got the issues of age bands that vary from country to country of what material is acceptable for which age groups. For example, I'm under the age to view some of what soul/ruf posts on the unoff ;p

View PostLearner, on 01 April 2014 - 10:05 AM, said:

But there are many adults that don't want to be seeing the sort of activity that can occur there. Which is why discussions related to whats permissible etc is required.
Generally any racist/homophobic/sexist/derogatory/anti Semitic language shouldn't be used or linked to (something i kind of want a little more force on its implementation on the forums but your time to moderate us isn't exactly generous :P) and generally follow forums rules. Any links to sexual content should be disallowed/removed as well.

We could hide the shoutbox from the public though, and keep it member viewing only as well as member posting only, so if anyone does slip into the realms of the unruly, the worst should be hidden from any newcomers. As for moderation, We could do a variation on the BBC's comment system. Beside every shout, their is a report link. a few people hit the report link, content is "removed for moderation", where it can be reinstated once a mod is online. You could maybe have 1-2 active forumers as shoutmods, with you having a quick review of them occasionally.

#10 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:37 AM

The thing with young children is that, in some respects, they are often smarter than many adults would give them credit for. As someone who was a parent, i'd have far less concern about them being exposed to a few profanities by those who mean them no harm, than in the politeness of those that do.

I can remember witnessing stuff in EL (many years ago) which, made me disinclined to let my own kids play that game (at least using their own toon). Even with some of the fruity language that some of us use and enjoy, i'd have no similar worries about my kids playing OL.

#11 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:45 PM

View Postthemuntdregger, on 02 April 2014 - 04:37 AM, said:

The thing with young children is that, in some respects, they are often smarter than many adults would give them credit for. As someone who was a parent, i'd have far less concern about them being exposed to a few profanities by those who mean them no harm, than in the politeness of those that do.

I can remember witnessing stuff in EL (many years ago) which, made me disinclined to let my own kids play that game (at least using their own toon). Even with some of the fruity language that some of us use and enjoy, i'd have no similar worries about my kids playing OL.

Profanity isn't my #1 concern. It's the homophobic/anti semitic/ racist/ sexist language that i really hate. I don't really see any need, even in a casual context to say "that bloody jew" or "faggot." It really puts me off playing a game or interacting with a person if they use this language, because though they might see it as in "all good fun," it is genuinely antisocial (Scotland has criminal law against it, afaik rest of the UK has it too, though mostly used against football fans). It's also extremely aggressive and offensive even to those who aren't in the group you would expect it to offend. I have gay friends, Jewish friends, black AND African family and I really hate seeing this derogatory language towards them. I don't mind some profanity, because it doesn't always show a complete lack of respect for the other person.

Ok my little rant over :P

OL is a much nicer game to introduce friends to than EL. Personally i avoided inviting anybody to EL even when i enjoyed it, simply because of the trash that happens there, among a few other reasons. This is, at worst, greatly reduced here, and i felt confident enough to invite all my EL pals, 4 friends of mine (only pushing 1 right now, as soon as he gets into it, i can use him to affect the second >:D).

#12 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:21 AM

View Postbutler, on 02 April 2014 - 01:45 PM, said:

Profanity isn't my #1 concern. It's the homophobic/anti semitic/ racist/ sexist language that i really hate. I don't really see any need, even in a casual context to say "that bloody jew" or "faggot." It really puts me off playing a game or interacting with a person if they use this language, because though they might see it as in "all good fun," it is genuinely antisocial (Scotland has criminal law against it, afaik rest of the UK has it too, though mostly used against football fans). It's also extremely aggressive and offensive even to those who aren't in the group you would expect it to offend. I have gay friends, Jewish friends, black AND African family and I really hate seeing this derogatory language towards them. I don't mind some profanity, because it doesn't always show a complete lack of respect for the other person.

Yup. The more I think about your point, the more I think its necessary and desirable for you to keep on reminding us about this.

#13 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:59 PM

as i said just what's prosecutable or socially unacceptable in rl. Profanity (as i see it mostly in OL) seems to not be too bad, though i know there are people who are offended by it. Senseless swear spamming should probably be disallowed, but just the usual stuff is fine really tbh. But i think it would be best to have the profanity voted on (and keep the racist/sexist/homophobic/anti semitic language automatically banned, because honestly, i would hope people would seriously realise how there is no reason to allow it.)

#14 CoduX

CoduX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1201 posts
  • LocationLand Down Under

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:43 AM

I would like to remind everyone of this topic. I would also agree on all frowned upon chat of homophobic/anti semitic/racist/sexist language (quoted off Butler) plus anything that is directly insulting someone on purpose be immediately muted. I browse the forums every single day and just have the forums open in a tab for long hours at a time..so I tend to see people browsing the forums that I want to quickly talk to since they aren't ingame at the time and sending a PM over forums is just too much of a hassle whereas with the shoutbox you can just shoutout and the person viewing the forums at the time can see you. I would be willing to make a poll for this if there are any others that agree on this new feature for the forums?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users