• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#21 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2890 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:01 PM

I feel people should remember where they died, and not have the client tell them!

#22 ohmygod

ohmygod

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:06 AM

i can often remember where i died by spamming that compass addon thing in the side bar right up to the point i died but thats not fun. So Is it possible for me to learn how to automate this and make my client do that instead in a more user friendly way? ie. proir to change of map.

I may be a player but i do live inthe real world. No pause button in that as well. I get called away often to deal with family dramas . It would take a bit of the sting out of dying for me.

#23 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:54 AM

I'd not heard of compass spamming before. However, there's no existing way to automate actions like that on the client that i'm aware of.

#24 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2890 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:22 AM

If you die while you're afk, good chance your bag wont be there anyways. if you get called away close the client if there is risk. If you're going to be away from the game at least an hour, harvesters will always be at a new hour when they log back in. The hour out of game for at least 1 hour of time RL, it isn't controlled by new day.

#25 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1432 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:50 AM

Learner, if your connection is cut or you otherwise stop communicating with the server during a fight, you continue to fight with the beast untill one of you dies. I've found this a bugger, since my connection is notoriously unreliable ( I was cut out a while back while fighting a boss due to a district wide power cut ). I managed to get back on temporarily by using a car battery to get back onto the internet for a short time, and had i died, a feature like a flashback would have been useful to find where i died through no fault of my own other than being born in the mountains :P. I've also had 5 min internet cuts and come back dead, where if i didn't know some of these maps so well, i would have been screwed.

I would think it would be nice to have that ghost moment to just see the area you died in, rather than a direct "here's your corpse's loc" system. It would lower some stress for invasion deaths in places with only a few passing distinct features, if you could have a few seconds to concentrate on where you died rather than trying to juggle staying alive and making a mental map back to where you are in the case of failure.

Back to the original point of the thread, to do with server side counters, can someone pay for the poll? I bet it will be near universally popular (there are always people who find someway to justify voting against helpful small addition like these).

#26 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2890 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

If you fied while your disconnected, neither case will help you . I know you keep on fighting if you disconnect during combat, I was referring to when your called away and not in combat.

#27 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:27 PM

Being an older chap, I tend increasingly to get called away by the kind of thing us older chaps get called away for. I think that gives the younger peeps a bit of an unfair advantage.

#28 ohmygod

ohmygod

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:36 PM

How why when we get called away is a little bit off topic and one could claim the "wookie defense" as a reason.The fact is in OL when you die if over a certain level you risk losing things you carry.

Penalty for dying I agree with and am happy in part, that OL has such a penalty based system.

Currently:
1. Drop risk % . Risk of losing contents of bag to it poofing cause you cant find it within current times.
2. Sent to underworld
3. walk back from underworld with 5 health

However a balance is required considering time taken and rarity of materials required to gain and produce high level items. Stuff poofing when i know how much time and effort it represents seems such a waste.

Lose to pvp it does not poof, lose to being wookie in pve then poof.

Poof = Dissapears from game forever. not bend someone over and digitise them although it could be what the intent is of the game? I think not.....

#29 PandemiC

PandemiC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:11 AM

How did server sided counters become a client discussion about bags/death/rpg mechanics etc?

#30 ohmygod

ohmygod

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:40 AM

Dont ask me im just a bored harvester ;)

#31 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1432 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:26 AM

We seem to specialize in that.

Get the OP's idea polled and voted in :P

#32 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:33 AM

View PostPandemiC, on 05 June 2014 - 03:11 AM, said:

How did server sided counters become a client discussion about bags/death/rpg mechanics etc?

imho bags/death/rpg etc aside, server side counters is a good and sensible idea for all the various reasons put forward. However, there's a lot more that could be done with counters in general that might make the game more interesting. Something that comes to mind (and which could only be supported by server side counters) is to extend player stats to indicate data such as : number of times killed, number of hours played,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users