#1 Ena

Ena

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCanuckistan

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:35 PM

Okay,
Recently the 'offline' messages delivery system has been set up, and I was really excited when someone told me about it when I logged in earlier tonight. Then, my friend kav asks me if I had received his messages.  I had not. Then I hear that StarDark had spammed me messages (as had kav) of which none I received. Then I hear that StarDark mentioned on channel how he spammed me those messages and Learner went in to manually delete them.

Now, first, I'm fucking pissed, that someone would invade MY privacy (even if it is spam and 'abuse' of the delivery system) and see the messages that were meant for me.  Secondly I'm pissed that he would DELETE these messages that were meant for me. Ceiling cat, you can fuck right off. Who the hell does that? That would be the equivalent of radu monitoring my 'Mercator' messages and deleting what he didn't see fit I should see. I'm an adult and I've never felt like my personal bubble was as invaded as it was right there.

• [St_ArcaNe @ 1]: holy shit [21:40:07] delayed: [PM from

• [Achilles @ 1]: op right?

• [St_ArcaNe @ 1]: nice feature learner

• [StarDark @ 1]: ghehe

• [StarDark @ 1]: when ena gets online she'll have lotsa spam xD

• [St_ArcaNe @ 1]: ahoy darstark

• [St_ArcaNe @ 1]: kk just sent her 5 more

• [St_ArcaNe @ 1]: will try and build it up into a text wall

• [StarDark @ 1]: I sent 50 at least

• [StarDark @ 1]: kreledor and kav too

• [Learner @ 1]: do you people want me to place limits on that?

• [St_ArcaNe @ 1]: no no

• [St_ArcaNe @ 1]: please don't

• [St_ArcaNe @ 1]: well

• [StarDark @ 1]: Well depends :P

• [Learner @ 1]: Then make sure you don't abuse it

• [St_ArcaNe @ 1]: maybe a 100 limit

• [StarDark @ 1]: Also, you probably have to change the text

• [St_ArcaNe @ 1]: to avoid spam

• [StarDark @ 1]: 'Delayed' barely means something to most users

• [St_ArcaNe @ 1]: I'd like to get like 1k messages if I am gone a year

• [StarDark @ 1]: 'Offline message' or something in that direction would make much more sense

• [St_ArcaNe @ 1]: but not 1k a day

• [Learner @ 1]: ena's spam messages deleted

• [St_ArcaNe @ 1]: aww :<

• [StarDark @ 1]: you suck balls

• [St_ArcaNe @ 1]: just when I think ur getting cool u get lame again

• [StarDark @ 1]: those were important messages

• [St_ArcaNe @ 1]: mine were anyway

• [Learner @ 1]: I took the time to read them first

• [St_ArcaNe @ 1]: lol

• [StarDark @ 1]: oh those were private too :x

• [St_ArcaNe @ 1]: reading personal messages

• [StarDark @ 1]: next step: encrypted please

• [St_ArcaNe @ 1]: I feel violated

• [Learner @ 1]: Privacy will require a nice payment, plus you people were the ones saying you were spamming

• [StarDark @ 1]: I interpetit spamming maybe different from you

• [St_ArcaNe @ 1]: 'you people'

• [StarDark @ 1]: +r

• [St_ArcaNe @ 1]: THINGS

• [St_ArcaNe @ 1]: learner fight me irl now

• [St_ArcaNe @ 1]: 1v1 no scope

FYI Learner, PRIVACY in Canada does not come as a 'premium' it comes as a BASIC FUCKING RIGHT. If the cops need a warrant to snoop my basic shit...you sure are gonna need a hell lot more.

#2 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:24 AM

lol #rekt

#3 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:34 AM

Personally, Ena are you retarded? did you pay for poll to kick Learner already? or not yet? maybe your friends will help you? well fuck u rly

Seems like you feel so offended my lady.Don't like it? then dont play OL kk ?

I am sure that Learner has notthing to your privacy which is shit and probably boring for everyone.He keeps server working good, not tracks ppl that plays OL.

btw, Ena stfu and fku

And seriously, Ena remember there is no privacy on world nowadays.

#4 StarDark

StarDark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:45 AM

View PostFire, on 31 July 2014 - 02:34 AM, said:

Personally, Ena are you retarded? did you pay for poll to kick Learner already? or not yet? maybe your friends will help you? well fuck u rly

Seems like you feel so offended my lady.Don't like it? then dont play OL kk ?

I am sure that Learner has notthing to your privacy which is shit and probably boring for everyone.He keeps server working good, not tracks ppl that plays OL.

btw, Ena stfu and fku

And seriously, Ena remember there is no privacy on world nowadays.

Fuck off fire, if you can't respond anything useful to the matter you might as well shut the fuck up instead of personally attacking her with arguments best made up by a 16y kid. The only retarded post in this thread so far comes from you, good game little bitch.

As to the OP: I agree on the privacy matter and Learner shouldn't have interfered. I propose an encrypted private message system with public and private keys per user so that only the receiving user will be able to read it and know for sure it has been sent by the person whom it says it has been sent from.

#5 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1434 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:14 AM

Imo, he should have shot you a pm on the forums/ingame to ask whether you didn't want the spam coming through. Or set up something that recognises that someone has sent over X amount of messages to you, would you like to receive or delete them.

I can see where L was coming from, but it was a matter of someones privacy (which i take very seriously).

Again, i think the community rules/what happens with our details (passwords/messages/etc.) are dealt with. People tend to feel better when they feel they are or think they are in the loop.

View PostEna, on 30 July 2014 - 10:35 PM, said:

• [Learner @ 1]: I took the time to read them first     

Not very moral... I didn't really expect you to be someone who would do this

• [Learner @ 1]: Privacy will require a nice payment, plus you people were the ones saying you were spamming

• Thats twsiting our arms into paying you... From my experience working in museums, if you charge for a neccesity (toilets), you can't charge much, and people get annoyed. If you don't charge, people tend to drop more in donations and are happier.

• [StarDark @ 1]: I interpetit spamming maybe different from you  
  • How much is spam? what is spam? It's all opinionitive

FYI Learner, PRIVACY in Canada does not come as a 'premium' it comes as a BASIC FUCKING RIGHT. If the cops need a warrant to snoop my basic shit...you sure are gonna need a hell lot more.

Online privacy is bull really. Most companies keep the right to look at your details if they have "reason to believe it's in your best interest." You'll find they do this a lot more than you know to your information.

#6 StarDark

StarDark

• Members
    • Pip
    • 92 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:02 AM

I'd like to add one more thing:
    I agree with Ena and she has a good point and it should be dealt with.
    But let's not give this little drama unnecessarily huge dimensions.
    People make mistakes and I hope Learner realizes that this (great) new feature has yet some work left (privacy).

(ps. I think private messages in general should be encrypted... a long time ago!)

#7 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • 758 posts
    • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:20 AM

Fu all leave learner he is good bread eater and in general, he has power to kick u all so be nice for him nobs

#8 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
    • 2907 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:30 AM

Normally, you do have the privacy. This was a special case due to people publicly stating Ena was being spammed, a quick check showed 9k bytes in messages and still climbing. That warranted a quick check that confirmed the person was spamming with some help of friends, and someone not in on the 'joke' also decided to join in, probably because of the public nature of her getting spammed.

In this case, the sender of the messages released any expectation of privacy for their messages by publicly announcing the spam since spam is highly frowned on. The in channel comment by me was also to notify the senders of the actions so if they wanted to, they could address it in a reasonable fashion.

People need to stay reasonable on their use of this feature or it can be disabled again. I'm trying to avoid having to put it place restrictions on it's use at this time. If there are too many abuses, it can always be turned off until I have more time to prevent abuses.

#9 kav

kav

• Members
    • Pip
    • 59 posts
    • LocationOhio

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:37 AM

View PostFire, on 31 July 2014 - 06:20 AM, said:

Fu all leave learner he is good bread eater and in general, he has power to kick u all so be nice for him nobs
    Last time I checked I was playing Other Life the community based rpg, not Eternal Lands the dictatorship. I'm sure Learner can handle addressing the concerns of players without sinking into radu mentality.

#10 Ena

Ena

• Members
    • Pip
    • 37 posts
    • LocationCanuckistan

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:12 AM

View PostLearner, on 31 July 2014 - 07:30 AM, said:

Normally, you do have the privacy. This was a special case due to people publicly stating Ena was being spammed, a quick check showed 9k bytes in messages and still climbing. That warranted a quick check that confirmed the person was spamming with some help of friends, and someone not in on the 'joke' also decided to join in, probably because of the public nature of her getting spammed.

In this case, the sender of the messages released any expectation of privacy for their messages by publicly announcing the spam since spam is highly frowned on. The in channel comment by me was also to notify the senders of the actions so if they wanted to, they could address it in a reasonable fashion.

People need to stay reasonable on their use of this feature or it can be disabled again. I'm trying to avoid having to put it place restrictions on it's use at this time. If there are too many abuses, it can always be turned off until I have more time to prevent abuses.

This still doesn't justify anything.  What if someone had sent me something important/personal and you'd have still filtered through my messages.  If the sender relinquished his 'rights to privacy', well the receiver sure as hell didn't. You're the only one highly frowning upon the spam as no one else seems to be.  How can it be a usable feature when people know you can just go in and read their messages? How would you prevent abuses? Is this North Korea, where we start screening peoples private messages? What you say doesn't comfort me at all, it just worries me more about what on earth is going on.

#11 Ena

Ena

• Members
    • Pip
    • 37 posts
    • LocationCanuckistan

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:22 AM

View PostFire, on 31 July 2014 - 02:34 AM, said:

Abuse & Membership

This is the forum where you should report if someone is breaking the rules or discussions related whether community action is needed about a member.

This is not the forum where I pay $2 to get Learner banned.  Now go outside and shove your dear bike seat up your ass Fire o

#12 St_ArcaNe

St_ArcaNe

• PipPip
    • 263 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:34 AM

Eh I've always known they can, and do, delve into our PM's, although publicly admitting it is was a bit of a PR blunder lol. Anyway it's chat, like all other types of chat it should stick to the same rules, it being a PM it should have been left alone as a PM.

Yes, the person is not online to block people, and it is a new addition, so there is that going for you in your defense, but taking it upon yourself to read the PM's and deciding a course of action is probably not your finest moment lol. I know it's easy to say these things in hindsight, but if you had checked, all these people are probably on Ena's buddy list, the logical course of action would have been to let it be.

You meant well I suppose, but it was quite unnecessary. My 2cents is that when it comes to these personal types of player interactions, it'd be best to have the players come to you if they have a problem with something, instead of thinking what is 'best for them'. In my experience people take it very badly if you interfere with their private matters, and even worse, act on their behalf.

All said and done though, the offline PM's are a nice little addition to the game.

#13 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • 758 posts
    • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

Enaaaaaaaaaaaaaa <33333333333333

Missed you so hard hun

#14 Hades

Hades

• PipPip
    • 380 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:56 AM

This topic is a laughing stock.
    Violation of privacy? Lmfao those PMs were just spam.
    Go have a hissy fit somewhere else girl, don't bring drama here, we have plenty of that already.

#15 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • 758 posts
    • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:25 AM

yeah,Hades mate +1

#16 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • 1434 posts
    • LocationScotland

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

View PostStarDark, on 31 July 2014 - 06:02 AM, said:

I agree with Ena and she has a good point and it should be dealt with.
    People make mistakes and I hope Learner realizes that this (great) new feature has yet some work left (privacy).

(ps. I think private messages in general should be encrypted... a long time ago!)
    Worth reposting this i think.

View PostEna, on 31 July 2014 - 09:12 AM, said:

This still doesn't justify anything.  What if someone had sent me something important/personal and you'd have still filtered through my messages.  If the sender relinquished his 'rights to privacy', well the receiver sure as hell didn't. You're the only one highly frowning upon the spam as no one else seems to be.  How can it be a usable feature when people know you can just go in and read their messages? How would you prevent abuses?
    Gmail, Hotmail, Google, Bing, Yahoo, Amazon, AOL, etc. save all your activities and search through your searches/emails if the robot flags it for any reason. As I said above, most of your emails and searches go through this (even DuckDuckGo is the gov petitions them to START keeping info on you and giving them to you. Yay US law.)

Is this North Korea, where we start screening peoples private messages?
    US, UK and many other governments do this just as badly tbh. They just don't have as many anti Free speech laws, which is an other matter.

What you say doesn't comfort me at all, it just worries me more about what on earth is going on.
    Worries me too... but we shouldn't blow it out of the water. It's not an unusual thing, though i think it should be stopped.

#17 St_ArcaNe

St_ArcaNe

• PipPip
    • 263 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:19 PM

View Postbutler, on 31 July 2014 - 12:47 PM, said:

View PostStarDark, on 31 July 2014 - 06:02 AM, said:

Noooo! Just as the battle lines are being drawn, and people are picking sides you want to end it. :<

#18 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • 758 posts
    • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:54 PM

#NewDrama

#19 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators