15 replies to this topic

#1 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1417 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:18 PM

Just out of curiosity, what OS's does everyone use. I'm curious about this for several reasons. The first is that EL had a large legion of Linux users, and I'm wondering whether this carried over. Secondly, I'm nosy.

so I'll start with me.

Currently i have Fedora 20 on this PC, and planning to switch to CrunchBang soon, because i think I'll prefer something more minimalist and with a longer gap between releases. It also dual boots into 64 bit Windows 8 (not my choice, it was shipped with it D: )

Edited by butler, 26 August 2014 - 11:32 AM.

#2 Hades

Hades

• PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

I use noscope 420 at the moment but thinking of switching to euphoria69

No really, i use Windows 7 Ultimate. Don't shoot me down!

#3 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:24 AM

32bit and 64bit Ubuntu 12.04.

#4 PandemiC

PandemiC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

64 bit windows 7, and Dos Box with Windows 3.5 for when I get bored and wanna play Sim Tower XD

I have a partition on my hard drive with some form of Linux installed... Never used it, still needs the final set up haha, I never have the time, or effort really to get to familiarise myself with it, especially when my day job is fixing stupid fecking peoples computers...

#5 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:29 PM

View PostPandemiC, on 26 August 2014 - 07:48 AM, said:

I have a partition on my hard drive with some form of Linux installed... Never used it, still needs the final set up haha, I never have the time, or effort really to get to familiarise myself with it, especially when my day job is fixing stupid fecking peoples computers...

I can sympathise with that lol....     Only small things to be said for Linux are :

a) Its bullet proof in a way that windows isn't.
b )All kinds of amazingly good shit is available foc (except Blender which is pile of xxxx).
c) Its faster (particularly if you're running the EL/OL client)
d) Windows virtual machines run faster under Linux even than under Windows
e) Much wider range of compilers and ide's (try running lisp,  forth, modula2, prolog, cobol, fortran etc etc under windows)
f) Ability to develop cross platform code (try doing that in windows or mac).
g) Linux is written in strict standard compliant C, rather than MS's shittily horrific non-compliant C++ (omfg)
h) Linux embraces all coding paradigms from oop, top-down, procedural, functional, as well as 'quick and dirty'. Windows only has Studio (omfg)
i) The internet runs on linux. For that matter, so do the majority of mobile phones, tablets and pretty much everything bar crappy corporate desktops
j) 98% of the worlds super computers run Linux.
k) Geek women will want your sperm.
l) Even attractive geek women will want your sperm.
m) By propagating your sperm across the widest number of geek women your genes will ultimately attain immortality
n) Your many children will be blessed with blond hair and will not have crooked rotten teeth (like windows users)
o) They will toil fruitfully at the coal face of capitalism which, will allow you and your favourite concubine to retire to a Greek Island of your choice (not Zante as that is full of chavs).
p) Together, you will turn Greece into an economic powerhouse and release the World from its slavedom to the United States of Bushmerica.

As can be seen, many good things happen if you use Linux. However, nothing good ever came of using Windows (just ask those who bought XP).

#6 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1417 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:57 PM

View Postthemuntdregger, on 26 August 2014 - 01:29 PM, said:

<snip>
p) Together, you will turn Greece into an economic powerhouse and release the World from its slavedom to the United States of Bushmerica.
<snip>
Love that line.

speaking about Windows XP, our NHS has paid Microsoft £5mil to keep up security update suppourt for one more year. Lovely with all the NHS budget cuts ;p

#7 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:55 PM

Windows 7
*tips fedora*
m'lady

#8 St_ArcaNe

St_ArcaNe

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:43 PM

XP Vista and 8

Tried ubuntu and some other shitty linux OS before but it's kinda retarded... and there is no such thing as an 'attractive geek woman'.

#9 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:39 AM

me using , things

#10 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1417 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:09 AM

View PostSt_ArcaNe, on 26 August 2014 - 04:43 PM, said:

XP Vista and 8

Tried ubuntu and some other shitty linux OS before but it's kinda retarded... and there is no such thing as an 'attractive geek woman'.

I don't really like Ubuntu tbh, but some of the other linux distros feel more comfortable to me than windows, so i prefer using them. Just trying to find one that suits me best :<

Looks like Win 7's the popular winner then :P

#11 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:11 AM

windows 8 is shit, rule of thumb: always skip the newest version of windows, next good-tier windows will be windows 9

#12 themuntdregger

themuntdregger

Official Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:58 AM

View PostSt_ArcaNe, on 26 August 2014 - 04:43 PM, said:

There is no such thing as an 'attractive geek woman'.

I'm sure Maxine is busting to prove you wrong.

#13 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1417 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:26 PM

I know wind 8's crap, it shipped on my laptop :/

I only keep it to run a free legit version of AutoCAD

#14 rootix

rootix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:37 PM

Currently running linux mint 64 bit, with the cinnamon de on my main desktop. I also have my laptop setup for pen-testing using a modified Kali linux; and finally a crappy windows 7 computer I crash/hack when I am bored.

#15 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1417 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:30 PM

You might want to have a look/play with ReactOS, root, alpha version of an opensource distro that *should* have full binary compatibility with Windows.

At least crashing/hacking something win might be productive for that interesting project :P

#16 rootix

rootix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:19 PM

View Postbutler, on 09 September 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

You might want to have a look/play with ReactOS, root, alpha version of an opensource distro that *should* have full binary compatibility with Windows.

At least crashing/hacking something win might be productive for that interesting project :P

Haven't heard of reactOS before, but I will definitely take a look at it. As for the productivity of crashing windows, I occasionally do some cracking/hacking for family/friends (And my own amusement. [Don't worry, I only do white-hat])
Anyway, got the reactos downloading to setup as a vm, can't wait to try it out.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: random

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users