•  

Perk system

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

Poll: How should Perks be awarded? (149 member(s) have cast votes)

Should we use PP's or one perk every X OA levels (X is TBD)

1. Yes, lets allow one perk to be chosen for every X OA levels (117 votes [78.52%])

Percentage of vote: 78.52%

2. I don't know (2 votes [1.34%])

Percentage of vote: 1.34%

3. No, lets continue to use PP's so you have to choose where to use it. (21 votes [14.09%])

Percentage of vote: 14.09%

4. Other (see comment below) (9 votes [6.04%])

Percentage of vote: 6.04%

If it's 1 Perk for every X OA levels, what might be a good value for X?

1. More then 10 OA levels (24 votes [16.11%])

Percentage of vote: 16.11%

2. 1 PerkPoint every 10 OA (61 votes [40.94%])

Percentage of vote: 40.94%

3. 1 PerkPoint every 8 OA (5 votes [3.36%])

Percentage of vote: 3.36%

4. 1 PerkPoint every 6 OA (6 votes [4.03%])

Percentage of vote: 4.03%

5. 1 PerkPoint every 5 OA (34 votes [22.82%])

Percentage of vote: 22.82%

6. I don't know (8 votes [5.37%])

Percentage of vote: 5.37%

7. Other (11 votes [7.38%])

Percentage of vote: 7.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 hussam

hussam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:00 AM

Make all positive perks quest rewards.

#42 Korrode

Korrode

• PipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationMelburn, Strayamate.

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:00 AM

View PostBat17, on 03 October 2012 - 02:47 AM, said:

But there is no point building floors 2-4 without knowing if there will be a floor 5, it will affect the way the lower floors have to be designed!

So really the question of perks is fundemental to the plan

Bat17
Adding perks after is far less tricky and less dangerous than adding them before the base combat system is in a more final state.
Either way your argument is circular and in the end leads back to this specific poll (this specific wording and questions) shouldn't exist now. Later perhaps, but not now.

View Posthussam, on 04 October 2012 - 03:00 AM, said:

gawd please no.

#43 Bat17

Bat17

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:07 AM

View Posthussam, on 04 October 2012 - 03:00 AM, said:

The problem then becomes how to stop ppl using walkthroughs instead of spending weeks trying to work out which Red book to click somewhere in WS to end quest.

For this type of Quest I like the idea where you actually have to do stuff relating to the perk, maybe tying the perks to the old achievement awards would work.

Poison resistance after 1000th poisoning with toads or something

Bat17

#44 Korrode

Korrode

• PipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:09 AM

Please don't make fighters do drawn out questing to be competitive, just let them do the things they like in game. You know, so they are having fun, while playing a game.

#45 Bat17

Bat17

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:01 AM

Well .... if fighters want a havesting perk then they should harvest to get it, equaly if I want a perk to help with fighting then I had better go kill something (or lots of things )

Bat17

#46 scarr

scarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

View PostTorg, on 03 October 2012 - 02:24 AM, said:

It doesn't matter what the outcome of a "who wants a perk" poll is... we need to know the rest of the attrib/stats system before looking at perks.

Maybe you can' t read, but here is the quote on my first post

NOTE: This poll is about how you earn the Perks, not about the Perks themselves. If PerkPoints based on OA is used, that will effectively give more PP's for other uses (which could be good or bad depending on the point of view). The current alternative is to continue to use PP's and adjust how many are needed carefully and selecting a Perk then reduces how much is available for Attribs.

it clearly says this is NOT about discussing what the perks will be or do.

#47 Torg

Torg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

View Postscarr, on 04 October 2012 - 08:52 AM, said:

Maybe you can' t read, but here is the quote on my first post

it clearly says this is NOT about discussing what the perks will be or do.

Fair call. After all the various discussion I think I forgot that point.

#48 Quesar

Quesar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:30 PM

I'd like it if we had a fairly large number of fairly weak perks to pick from, using separate perk points to pay for them.  Going with this would be a fairly large # of perk points that we get.  The exact number is going to be dependent on what we make the perks cost of course. Perhaps even getting 1 perk point and 1 pick point per OA could work, if perks were priced appropriately.

Perhaps multiple levels of perks too - things like "glutton" perk, levels 1 through 3 - level 1 could reduce food cooldown by 5% for a fairly low perk point cost, then level 2 could bump it up to 15% for a higher pp cost (requiring that you already have level 1 too ofc), and finally a level 3 could get you all the way to a 40% reduction (numbers are examples only, subject to discussion, etc ofc).

You could have a wide range of perk types from this, like "speed demon" - reduced food usage when running - this could also have multiple levels.  An evanescense type perk, magic perks for both offence/defence boosts, magic defence increases, ranging accuracy boosts, and other similar useful, but not too overpowered choices.  The list can go on and on and on to the point that even with max perk points, you could only ever get maybe 1/3 or 1/2 of the possible choices. This could provide a lot of choices for customizing your character and giving it unique benefits.

#49 Infamous

Infamous

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:07 PM

i think the perks could be simply +10 hp, +10  mana, or +25 emu

harmless things that are nice to have

edit: as it is currently ofc, no idea how much hp/mana or emu people will have with korrodes attr system.

#50 AlddrA

AlddrA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

I think perks should be kept out of game for now, but when they are instituted, they should be very different from EL's.

#51 Infamous

Infamous

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

obvious yes is winning, now we need to figure out which perks?

i suggest small perks that add hp, mana or emu. stuff like that

#52 Jade

Jade

• PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

View PostKorrode, on 03 October 2012 - 12:05 AM, said:

I agree with Aislinn that development of any kind of perk system should be put on the backburner until more baseline combat system stuff has been decided on.

Also just realised poll is "How should perks be awarded?"... WTF, where's the first poll, the one that comes before this, the one that asks "Do we want to develop a perk-type system at all?".

Voting other & other and hoping that Learner has good enough judgement to hold off on this irrelevant of the outcome of the poll.

Shit has to be developed in an appropriate order people.
I know a lot of you are anxious for OL to take shape, but it takes time, if stuff is rushed now and people are making polls and voting on stuff on a whim and without proper considerations, information, discussion, etc... the whole thing will get screwed up.

100% what i was thinking while reading through all these posts. I do like the idea of using action points for perks in some way but thats a bit far off imo. FIRST as aislinn and korrode said, we need to put the attribute system in before we worry about perks. Then we need to seriously consider what these perks will be. We all know EL perks are not going work, not to mention we dont even know if we will be keeping some skills.

One step at a time. Although i did vote yes and 1 perk evey 10 oa (maybe more, not sure how i feel about that point) I'm hoping this poll gets put on a back burner and pulled out later in development.

EDIT: fixed my crappy typing mistakes :P

#53 Korrode

Korrode

• PipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:57 PM

View PostJade, on 10 October 2012 - 07:12 PM, said:

this poll gets put on a back burner and pulled out later in development.
^

#54 kav

kav

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:17 AM

I've said it in game frequently, small scale shit like this should wait until the bigger, more crucial stuff has been able to be developed & tested so then the small scale stuff can be made to coincide instead of having to redesign once the big stuff comes.

#55 Trojan_Knight

Trojan_Knight

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:21 AM

I voted "Other" for a couple of reasons.

I agree mostly with what Korrode has already stated. To me, this isn't a now topic for voting, and because of that is why I have not voted for or against either option.

Though I understand at the same time that some others are looking at this more so as the blueprints of X goal for topic X. Which I agree with as well to a extent, because it is nice to have a reference of blueprints you can flip back through at a later time when you arrive to the point of where such things can be implimented. And because of that, I can agree with having a debate of it, or discussion of it.

Though, what I can't agree with, is the poll's purpose in the now timeframe. I also agree this poll (not debate of options) should be hindered till a later time frame that is more suiteable. Don't mean to pirate thread. But the only sollution to this I can think of is to maybe include new areas to forums and label them like, hmm eg: "What you would like to see in future in game polls"  & "Future Discussion Threads" for example. Though a better idea may be to force a addition option in every poll that would be something similar to "Do you feel this is a now topic or Do you feel this is a future topic". That way we can better judge and debate accordingly.

:)

#56 samson

samson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationMichigan USA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

We really need perks. i hate mixing without the i eat dead people perk.

#57 Elder

Elder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:10 AM

I think we should have some kind of perk system in the future, new to OL.   I do agree with a load of folks who said let's sort things out first.

#58 Legolis

Legolis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

Free perks every say 15-20 levels.  No ability to gain PP on neg perks.  all perks positive for a build with a negative effect for another build maybe.

Like  Kung Fu Training - +2/2 a/d in PK and fosts 2 additional food to manufacture items.

#59 Tuffy

Tuffy

• PipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

instead of perk of having perks why not just add bonus for achievements instead since your actually working to achieve something.

like if ya harvest 10000 plants you will get a certain percentage to find rare stones, same goes for every other achievement like alchemy,manu,combat and etc.

just an idea that could work out for people that actually do something in a certain skill.

so since achievements is already implemented it wouldnt be too hard to code bonuses in for each rank 1 to 3, believe this would be easier to program into game than a new perk system.

just have to come up with some ideas for bonuses, then maybe vote on them.

here is a few ideas:
for harvesting 10000 plants you get a bonus of finding rare stones maybe about .2% then rank 2 will give ya up to .3% then rank 3 will give ya a total bonus of .5%

for alchemy, manu, craft etc. you will get a bonus for 10000 and so on made rank 1 to 3 is a chance to create rare item by .2%, .3% and .5%

for eating shrooms rank 1 you get less hp taken off by percentage same goes for harving when getting damage from mn.

on combat for creature kills you get a def bonus of 2 for rank 1, 3 for rank 2 and 5 for rank 3.

this is just some of my ideas for how it could work.

#60 Nightmare

Nightmare

• PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

good idea tuffy, make worthless achievements worth something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users