28 replies to this topic

#21 winter

winter

• PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:57 AM

Thanks for responding :)

I'm glad that stuff is already in your mind.  My post was a direct response to the tone of yours.  If you found mine to be demeaning or condescending it wasn't necessarily by accident, and if you don't see your post that way, that is what I'm cautioning you against (in some way by example).

Indeed, I don't really know you - and I'm not really concerned about the impact on me in particular.  I am assertive and communicative enough that I'll tell you how I feel (no, really I am :P).  Not everyone is like that tho and I'm guessing few really know you - and it is very easy for someone to get offended and simply go away quietly.

I think you're very bright and really am looking forward to your input.  I'm glad that you seem fired up and interested!  That's awesome!  We'll work out the details.  As for this brief discussion, take something from it or not, your choice.  I did.

#22 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:39 AM

View Postwinter, on 07 December 2015 - 08:54 AM, said:

<snip>
1. I appreciate that you are learning elements of design, and I think that will be hugely valuable to our efforts.  Beware of hubris, however, because he can be a very bad influence.  There are many things that many people learn outside of class, and in the end your opinions are your opinions.  Here, we are all peers, and no one of us should think that we are speaking from a position of authority.
<snip>

<snip>
So, I have to go to a meeting now (with graphic artists, about user interface design, of all things) - so I'll cut this post short here, and see how it rolls.
<snips>
Can I point out the hypocrisy here. I probably don't need to point. I probably don't need to actually mention it, it's quite glaring, so I assume you see it. I'd also like to say that, thinking of the job you have, for all I know, it's something like a manager working on something akin to accountancy software. Now, I'd like to take the time to point out that's quite a different type of product and experience. That has reasons to be kept in a bubble: you know what your clients want, you know they know what to do, and you know what they expect you to give them and what the software is to do. And as a manager, well, yeah.

Can I say (needlessly) that this is very different to a video game. Can I also point out how the DTF map was a success because it was open to being tested. In games, the user is going to think of things you can't. They are going to *break* things. Let more people test it, the more they get to destroy and the better your game will get. There have been games based on the bugs they found. Reading over literature, mostly interviews, I see the reoccurring value of this openness. I also see it as pretty much something we can't do when we have the game labelled as a community based one if you want to keep development in the shadows. Do you see how many people get annoyed at not knowing what learners doing? You advocate that?

For the authority part, I'm confused. I took the initiative to make the continent, and actually come up with the concept, the non squared maps, the principle and the design. This project is my baby, maki took it forward because she was better suited for that step, and wanted to, and now It's to a position that I can help with it. I've had some positive conversations about doing this, including with one of the IMs, because it is a positive step to keeping things coordinated.

This, you will see, is a passive aggressive post. You will be familiar with writing akin to your own. I am trying to help, and I do not care for being patronised by you for whatever reason. Speak to me as an equal, and I'm fine. That wasn't.

View Postwinter, on 07 December 2015 - 10:57 AM, said:

<Snip>
As for this brief discussion, take something from it or not, your choice.  I did.
I really can't see what you took from this. I've taken in, and soften my language in terms of the way suggestions are done. I didn't require an attempted humiliation to do that. A word is all it takes.

To end, if people want me to go over maps, I'll do it, more than happily spend my time doing that. If not, I still think it's best we show people that things are being worked on rather in the dark for no good reason. I do take criticisms, and I will discuss things and work constructively with people (easy enough to see through my archive of posts). What I want to do is continue helping and contributing a lot to the project I started.

#23 Zian

Zian

• PipPip
  • 369 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:16 PM

I currently have 11 new maps on the Test Server. Go to the OL Dev site for more info on the state of these maps and what kind of feedback I'm looking for.

Regards
Zian

#24 winter

winter

• PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:40 AM

Butler, I would like nothing more than for you to jump back into the development mix here.  You have a lot to offer, and I never meant to imply differently.  The tone of my response above was obnoxious, and intentionally so - as that is how I saw the tone of your message - I think your enthusiasm to help is great tho, don't get me wrong.  I think it is time for me to not be obnoxious anymore, so I will try.

I won't argue with you about people's ability to contribute, as I believe everyone can contribute greatly regardless of their schooling or professional experience - I believe my communications will bear that out.  I think our contributions to the game and process should stand for themselves, not how we otherwise posture ourselves. (btw, for you Dilbert fans out there, I am NOT a manager)

I would encourage everyone to step back from the view that this is 'your project,'  which seems to be the spirit of your earlier post as well as part of your last post.  I recognize and appreciate your role in starting it and your work on the overview map - excellent stuff.  Other people, however, have put a great deal of time an effort into it.  About 1 year ago, the project picked up steam and I was asked to add a degree of coordination, which lead us to how we currently track things.  With Munt's continued tech updates and Zian's and Eats'  dedication to mapping, (and everyone else' contributions, don't make me name them), I don't think any of us can claim any degree of ownership over another.  We should all face our individual parts with ownership (so we care and nurture them), and the project as a whole with shared, equal cooperation.

re: where to track our progress - I have my opinion, but I have no axe to grind.  I've asked the other developers, and everyone that has responded so far wants to keep tracking our progress as we currently do.  Anyone is of course free to post overview updates and/or their own detailed progress here in the OL forums.  If the folks developing want to change how we organize and share our work, then so be it.

I don't wish to continue this back and forth further.  Feel free to respond again if you feel it is necessary, but this post is all I will say on the subject of your earlier message.  Bottom line, my opinion - I want you to participate as an equal member of the team, you're a great asset - always have been.  Regarding tracking our dev work - talk it up with the folks doing the work - I can abide by the majority.

#25 Fire

Fire

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationPoland,Europe

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:52 PM

I am still here and Im going to work on whatever I have a bit, mainly on Annaith Fallora, how is going your progress guys? who is maping?

I was about to propose splitting this map (55) maps to like 9 or 6 parts so we can finish each one and later focus on next, would be easier, its so much work to do and we can mess and get lost with everything.

#26 Grimm

Grimm

Teh Reaper

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:18 PM

*bump* for feedback referring to feedback for future development which was not updated properly for referencing.  Hoping that topic followers may come and provide needed missing input.

topic referring to http://www.other-lif...mate-of-alroth/ as example

Plus many more to come as we are growing and prepping for expansion to create a working proof of concept of Alroth.

#27 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:03 AM

It is a very old project that has been in my head for some time now, so you can feel free to pick my brain on some of the concepts of old. I have a response in that thread to the specific climate I had imagined on Alroth since the beginning ;P

#28 Grimm

Grimm

Teh Reaper

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:17 PM

View PostKiwi06, on 12 December 2016 - 04:03 AM, said:

It is a very old project that has been in my head for some time now, so you can feel free to pick my brain on some of the concepts of old. I have a response in that thread to the specific climate I had imagined on Alroth since the beginning ;P

Yep, just didn't want to loose some thoughts and ideas we will never come across with reference of the talks within OL forums

#29 Kiwi06

Kiwi06

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:38 AM

The sad reality of OL/EL is that many many thoughts and ideas go undocumented via in-game chats. :'(

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: world, maps, makiltur, butler, discussion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users