• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Makiltur

Makiltur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:25 AM

Sooo We had a nice @@1 discussion of Tab maps today, I'm posting some of the main points for posterity and discussion, slightly re-arranged to make things easier to read.

TL;DR version:  Since we're making all maps new anyways, we'll need to make new Tab-maps.
How does the idea of a hand-drawn, but still much more detailed than the standard EL-maps, tab-map sound? Easier places with more detailed maps and harder with less details, or like Fire suggested, missing in very high-level areas.

Most of the disscussion:

[Spelly @ 1]: why not introduce the BS (or rangers) maps in the game package (without the ones that have been remade)... I think it would be a great help for new players

[Makiltur @ 1]: depends on what the maps represent... if they're a general help for keeping you oriented the built-in ones are fine. Also in RP-terms, more 'realistic'
the very detailed BSmaps are almost spoilery
and aren't anywhere near what a hand-drawn map would be

[AlddrA @ 1]: I disagree, I was not very good at computers when I started playing this game in EL, took me days to figure out how to load the BS maps
I was very computer illiterate
stumbled around for over a month trying to find stuff
before someone suggested I download the BS maps

[Makiltur @ 1]: ease-of-use vs RP-aspects
stumbling vs exploring, some like it some don't. I used the built-in ones for probably half a year and had a lot of stuff marked

(aside)
[theFire @ 1]: in maps subject, i am about to make such rule, if bigger distance from starting map= stronger mobs
[Makiltur @ 1]: hmmm maybe travel time not just distance but I agree Fire
[theFire @ 1]: and generally I am about to make such invisible rule, deeper in cave= stronger mobs/easier to get in trap/easier to get lost
(/aside)

[Learner @ 1]: Since different people have different style of play, I would rather not include too much info on the installed maps by default

[LADYSMITH @ 1]: I play buy do not have any computer background. Any technical instructions confuse me. Maybe a way for those interested  could have an instruction to use easier maps

[Makiltur @ 1]: I wouldn't mind somewhere in-between... a detailed but hand-drawn-style tab-map.
I mean, since we're making all maps new anyways, we'll need to make new Tab-maps

[theFire @ 1]: however I dont think all maps should have tab maps

[Spelly @ 1]: well, at least maybe the starter maps could be more detailed, agree that after you get the ahang of it can explore and mark things... but it is puzzling
when you begin even with a detailed map
and at least dummy maps for all places so that you can use the minimap and see mobs and such are a must imo

[LADYSMITH @ 1]: a suggestion to mark things as one does the tutorial will assist later on

[Makiltur @ 1]: easier places with more detailed maps and harder with less details, or like Fire suggested, missing in very high-level areas

[theFire @ 1]: that sounds very nice maki, and now I am realizing this idea as well
will bring possiblity to have amazing adventures and should be interesting for travellers etc

[Spelly @ 1]: yes, that's the perfect balance, having detailed beginner maps/areas, up to no detail/lacking advanced ones

There ya go. The discussion went on to other things after this, but what do people think?

-Maki

#2 Kyndor

Kyndor

• PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationNY, NY

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:33 PM

I love the idea of maps that look hand drawn! But they could be done differently for different maps - could look like they were drawn on parchment, papyrus, leather, scratched on a piece of copper, etc. depending on  the inhabitants/cultures/geography/history of the particular map.

I also like the idea of more detail for the less advanced areas, and detail becoming progressively sketchier as the locations become more advanced.

I don't care for the idea of no map at all for some areas. I think every map should have at least an outline. Then, as you explore, you can mark it up as you wish, but players need something to make marks on. "There is no map for this location" doesn't work for me. If a rl person of the time/culture that OL is operating on went exploring, they would be map-making, note taking, diagram making as they go, if for no other reason than to be able to get back home. With no map, there is nothing to mark, and we would be reduced to graph paper, a la text adventure days. Fun at the time, but not so much now, especially if you are sitting in an arm chair with a laptop . . .

#3 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1417 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:25 PM

I can do painted ones, that are more accurate, and some way between the two, but will only do so when far more is done (and when I have time).

I agree kyndor, except for dungeons made for events (like raids/instance) where personally, I would like the outline to only develop once you *visited* the tiles within sight.

#4 Learner

Learner

God

• Administrators
  • 2427 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:22 PM

Currently, they client can't handle where you have visited, and people will hack/edit the client/data to remove/disable that feature.

#5 Kyndor

Kyndor

• PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationNY, NY

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:18 PM

I didn't expect that the game would fill in where you have visited, or keep you from marking up a map that you haven't visited.

It is to be expected that people will share the things they discover. I don't think there's any way around that. Nor do I think it's a real problem.  If you find the perfect place to harv a particular item, or a secret room where you can train a specific mob, you are going to tell your friends/guildies. Relationships are part of what keeps people in the game. Eventually secrets will become common knowledge. People will may even create new bloodsucker-type maps and share them.

People who want to explore and solve puzzles will continue to do so. Others will take advantage of the knowledge that becomes available to them. If there were enough interest for people to make/download maps/share game secrets, then it seems to me that that could be an indication of the health of the game. People willing to invest enough energy to share or seek out hidden information requires a certain amount of energy as well as attachment.

#6 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1417 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:54 AM

The filling in places you visited, I was thinking for event maps (Instances style things) not the general ones.
You'd expect to have most of the general world maps found (or given to you) when you arrived on this new continent.

Just Rojas maps are inaccurate and annoying to use (cave in DP is waaay off), and bs does go a bit too far in the other direction.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: maps, tab maps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users