• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 winter

winter

• PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:44 PM

Here's a variant on quests, I'll call them Gambits, but we can call them whatever.  Here are the characteristics:
  • There can/should be many of them in the game.
  • Each one is designed for a specialized range of levels of some skill.  The first ones would probably be a/d levels, but they could exercise any skill.
  • Each has a specific entry point on a map
  • Players start this sort of quest by talking to an NPC, like traditional quests
  • Each gambit is designed to support a team with a maximum number of players
  • Once the gambit is entered, the team is ISOLATED - no one else can come in to THEIR "instance" of the quest
  • Some or all Gambits can have time limits
  • Each one should be designed to be able to be finished within a reasonable amount of contiguous play time, say 1-3 hours? (If you lag out or log off  you can get back in within x minutes)
  • I envision Gambits to be designed with a number of creatures, tasks, clues, riddles, obstacles & rewards
  • Creatures should be placed, but not spawned - once you kill them, they're dead.  I'm not married to that though.
  • the challenges therein should challenge the skill(s) being tested.
  • Once a player accepts the gambit, then completes it, that player cannot initiate the same one again (like non-daily quests).
  • Once a player initiates the gambit, other players can join (to the max allowed for the particular gambit) as long as they are within the correct skill levels, even if they have completed that one before
  • Any and all significant rewards should be given upon completion of the gambit, so people don't get rewards and then fail the quest so they can do it again.
  • All players should get some reward, but the player(s) initiating the gambit should get the major reward.
  • Somewhere within each gambit map, probably around the middle, should be a storage spot
  • There should be some random variation within each instance of the same gambit.
So, the way I see it, almost all of the aspects I noted here are part of the game in one way or another.  It's almost a cross between a quest and an instance.  Hopefully most of the work to put something like this in place would be design work, and not so much coding.

#2 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1435 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:29 PM

Just going to point this out; this requires isolated maps, and the continent we've designed looks like it's going to have 40-50 main maps, with probably another 10-15 minor maps and I'm not even going to think about the number of inside maps. The maps needed for this may be a long time coming, so keep that in mind (I know we have these inde maps going on already, but personally, I'd like to get the continent going faster, since only 2 partially made maps in it are under progress, ignoring Island maps entirely). Develop the idea, I like it, but I just want you to be aware of workload map wise.

#3 winter

winter

• PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:05 PM

heh, yeah, it would absolutely be a lot of work - storyboard, map making, whatever else.  Like some of my other posts, I'm looking at the big picture.  If we think this is a good idea, then the wheels of imagination can begin turning with this in mind, and that's the first big step.

#4 butler

butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1435 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:24 PM

I posted some ideas somewhere a year ago on other quest types we could look at, but I missed an idea like this, iirc. Fantastic though. My brother (sadly doesn't play right now) was very much in favour of this sort of thing as well, and said he'd love to write the quests.

#5 Grimm

Grimm

Teh Reaper

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:27 PM

moved, not in progress yet or ready to be taken on

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users